South Central Region Board for the states of Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisana.

new to the site/new 3rd gen owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: auto
new to the site/new 3rd gen owner

Hi folks, just signed up for the site for some info while trying to restore my newly purchased 86 IROC. The car is almost completely original or replaced GM parts from dealer. Upon replacing the fuel tank to be ready to fire I unfortunately discovered the engine has thrown a rod so I am tearing the motor and trans out to be redone in the next few weeks. I want to rebuild the car as close to original as possible so I am not doing the 350 swap (I have two race cars already and thats almost 1 too many) so I dont need the car to be fast...however this being the only 8 cylinder in my stable now I want to go with an upgraded cam - but something I dont need to delve into allot of tuning for if at all, I just cant bring myself to put the "peanut cam" back in this thing. I have read good things about the comp xr258h12 (I think) that would give it a decent sound and not make things more difficult for myself...

I have owned a 1st gen, 2nd gen, and 4th gen...this one is my last link in Camaro homage. this engine pull will allow me to clean up the bay and with 122k on the original engine it wouldnt have gone much longer anyway.
Are there any other things I should look at or do with this TPI motor ? I forgot the previous owner did install an Edelbrock intake (the stocker had a hole in it) I am keeping all the stock exhaust and smog stuff intact, full factory exhaust isnt that old on the car either...I just want to optimize the build really, not make it another drag car.

Thanks again and happy to be here.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:01 AM
esc

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '82 Camaro 11.7@121
Engine: 377
Transmission: 400
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 / 3.31:1
Re: new to the site/new 3rd gen owner

Hi LethalV6,

Welcome to the Third Gen.
My car is Pre-TPI so I can't give you much help there, but I'm sure you will find answers to all of your questions in the appropriate board sections.

Please post a few pictures if you have any. Everyone like to see pictures.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:22 AM
Supreme Member

Received 721 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

It being an 86 TPI that is a mass airflow system it can handle a lil cam without having to get into tuning as you would with a later speed density TPI system as long as you don't have too much lift for the springs. Good luck with it, look forward to seeing some pics of this IROC!
Old 01-09-2017, 10:00 PM

Well it's been a few months and I decided to stay completely stock, had motor and trans rebuilt..tackled a bunch of tuning and sensor issues with the help of this site, car finally runs like a top. I'm on to brakes next weekend and I'll tackle suspension in a few weeks. I've ordered headliner so I can freshen up the interior then on to paint. I'll post some pics after it's off the lift, hoping to get together with some other third gen folks soon.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:41 PM

Car: '82 Camaro
Engine: 305
Transmission: wc T5
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi

Interesting choice you've made there, to keep it stock.
My '82 305 was dead stock when I bought it from my brother a few years ago--ran great, but I've had success putting mild Crane cams into smog-era motors, so I called Crane for advice.
They said that the early computer only adjusted the timing and mixture very slightly, giving improved mileage, and that I could only get about ten more HP by switching cams without unhooking the computer. That's a lot of work for ten HP so I left the cam stock, enjoying great mileage on long trips.
I removed all vacuum-operated emissions equipment, leaving the electronic sensors working, installed Hedman shorty headers, a 3" HO exhaust and Flowmaster which improved performance a lot.
The emissions air filter is restrictive--I found by experiment--so I cut some large holes in the back where they don't show. With all stock internals, it turns to 5,500 rpm easily before power drops off--nice little 305, very dependable, too.
Now the poor old T5 (World Class out of a '91) has died and they're hard to find. Rebuilt units are available for $1,200-1,500, which puts the car into the range of an LS conversion.
Hmmm.........
Old 04-04-2017, 02:43 PM

Car: 1991 Z28, 1991 GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI, Headers, 3" Exhaust, BBK
Transmission: 700R4

Welcome Lethalv6 to thirdgen! I live in the Rosenberg area too. I have a black 1991 Z28 that my son has had the privilege to drive to high school.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:20 PM

as she was bought.

repaint done - no lights or decals yet

Sorry for the late response guys, been some ups and downs with the rebuild. Got the car out of the paint shop and there are things that need to be fixed so I am pulling door panels to remove trim and mirrors to have things redone (paint guy is taking care of it)
Here are some before and after pics. I was hoping to have trim and decals back on now, missed a few car shows already. on top of paint now the egr pump is making a ton of noise, hate spending $ on a useless part but I want to keep everything in tact (stock) and somehow one of the fog light lenses got lost and it seems everyone wants your first born child for replacements...

Good to see another local here LilHot...it seems there are a few 3rd gens out here by us, ran into another guy at the Ottos car show just Saturday.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:31 PM
esc

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '82 Camaro 11.7@121
Engine: 377
Transmission: 400
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 / 3.31:1

Otto's...that bring back memories. I miss going out there..unfortunately I'm not as close as I once was. Once I get some tires on my Camaro I may drive out that way once in a while.

You didn't by any chance run in to Jupiter out there in his red Firebird?
Old 07-14-2017, 04:51 PM

its still a great smaller end show, breaks pretty early but great folks and good food. I think I know who youre talking about but I didn't see any red birds out last weekend but I have seen it recently...old halibrand wheels with an incredible stance on it.
Ive taken my Buick up there but not made it with the IROC yet..