Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Rubber bushings and end links

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 12:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rubber bushings and end links

Hi

I have a 24mm rear and 36mm front sway bar. Now I'm looking for new end links and bushings. I'd like to use rubber instead of poly in both. But I couldn't find them on Amazon. Does anyone have a product number?

And what about the clamps for the sway bar bushings? I wanted to renew them as well but couldn't find them separately, neither did I find a kit of bushing and clamps made by Moog. The only thing I found was Energy Suspension kits but they are all poly. Can someone help me?

Thanks,
Thomas
Old 12-05-2014, 01:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.0 Liter 4-BBL V8 High Output
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Rubber bushings and end links

Are These The Clamps/Bracket You Mean.

http://www.rarenosparts.com/82-92-CA...NOS_p_412.html
Old 12-05-2014, 01:59 PM

Yes, it's them. But actually it's much too expensive. A whole set of end links and bushings including the clamps costs only about 25 dollars. But they only have the poly bushings which I don't want. Moog doesn't seem to offer bushings with clamps.

I thought about getting a set with poly ones anyway and then replace the bushings with rubber ones but where can I buy these and will they work with the Energy Suspension clamps? And where do I get rubber end-links?
Old 12-05-2014, 02:16 PM
naf
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: 1987 SC/1985 TA
Engine: 350/vortec/fitech
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt

rock auto appears to have the bushings and end-links you're looking for.

You're on your own with the clamps.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:34 PM

There are quite a few brands of bushings and it doesn't say whether they are rubber or poly. In some info you can read a thing like "not poly but resistant to oil etc.)... maybe plastic or something...? I'm not quite sure which ones are really rubber.

Same with the end-links... I didn't find one which says "rubber"...
Old 12-05-2014, 10:26 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27

I sell the front and rear sway bar bushing kits. The bushings are ES poly or poly-graphite. However they can be ordered with the "NB" (no bushings) option which would yield you just the brackets and new bolts (for the front) or just the brackets, saddles, U-bolts and nuts & washers (for the rear).

Fort example, the front bushing kit and selecting the NB option you would pay just $20 plus S&H for two front brackets and 4 new mounting bolts. The brackets have been glass bead blasted and are yellow zinc plated, so they will not rust as easily as the non-plated OEM.

The rear sway bar bushing kit I sell uses the Energy Suspension bushings & brackets which are not compatible with GM rear bushings, but if you are planning to use OEM style bushings, then just let me know in the notes section when you place the order and I will switch the ES brackets for the GM brackets (before I had to switch to Energy Suspension bushings and brackets I used bushings supplied by Guldstrand which use the GM brackets. I still have plenty of the GM rear sway bar brackets in stock).

Front Sway bar bushing kit:

http://www.top-downsolutions.com/gre...amaro-or-fireb

Rear Sway bar bushing kit:

http://www.top-downsolutions.com/cha...aro-or-firebir

Lon Salgren
Old 12-06-2014, 03:26 AM

Hi Lon

So although the front brackets are ES ones they will fit the GM style bushings? Are the GM style bushings the ones sold by Moog (for example the K5453)? Are the brackets for any size of bushing or does each size have a different bracket?

I couldn't find an option (NB) with the rear sway bar bushing kit...?

Thanks,
Thomas
Old 12-06-2014, 04:02 AM

And again... just found out that the Moog bushings also seem to be poly and not rubber.

Didn't really anyone find / use rubber bushings here? In some threads here rubber bushings are mentioned but I could never find a product number of any brand. I just want them plain rubber bushings... guess there really aren't any anymore :-(
Old 12-06-2014, 06:36 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

The following would work if they're still available (1LE bushings are made of a higher durometer rubber): The 36 mm is GM part #14094389, the 24 mm #10037104. The poly end links are part #10221779 for front and rear.

I'm unsure why you wish to retain the rubber, but with poly you won't feel any difference in ride quality.

JamesC
Old 12-06-2014, 09:25 AM

It's two reasons... first because the polies seem to squeak if you don't lube them once a year and second because the polies are said to bind in cornering, at least a bit.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Thomas Stahel
Hi Lon

So although the front brackets are ES ones they will fit the GM style bushings? Are the GM style bushings the ones sold by Moog (for example the K5453)? Are the brackets for any size of bushing or does each size have a different bracket?

I couldn't find an option (NB) with the rear sway bar bushing kit...?

Thanks,
Thomas
I use Energy Suspension bushing for both front and rear kits. The front ES bushings fit the stock GM brackets and I supply GM brackets (which have been bead blasted and yellow zinc plated) with the front sway bar bushing kits.

I too am confused by your aversion to Poly or poly-graphite bushings. If you are concerned about having to lube them annually, I wonder if you are lazy just averse to doing the regular maintenance that you SHOULD be doing on the car. The zerk fitting allows you to grease them when you do your oil change or annually when you are also lubing all the other items as part of your preventative maintenance routine (door hinges, hood hinges, door lock cylinder, door latches, all the other suspension zerk fittings

I have never experienced squeaking because I do lube all the necessary items annually.

Lon Salgren
Old 12-11-2014, 09:34 PM

Car: 1987 IROC Z w/T-Tops
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: G92

Originally Posted by JamesC

I'm unsure why you wish to retain the rubber, but with poly you won't feel any difference in ride quality.

JamesC
Are you referring to just the pieces the poster is asking about, or, do you mean the whole car (in terms of ride quality)? I ask because my friend did a complete bushing replacement (to Poly) on his GTA and said that his whole ride is much harsher and advised against me doing it. I need a complete replacement as well and that's why I've been looking into PST's all/original rubber bushing kits because as someone who drives spirited and does push the car at times, it's only a 3 season, fair weathered car that isn't dragged or track driven and I would like it more on the modern car feel, comfort wise.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:06 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

Originally Posted by majobis
Are you referring to just the pieces the poster is asking about, or, do you mean the whole car (in terms of ride quality)?

...I would like it more on the modern car feel, comfort wise.
Just the pieces.

Then rubber is your best choice.

All that said, I don't think my IROC, which only retains an OEM-type rubber trans mount, rides much different from my 2013 370Z. So comfort is apparently relative.

JamesC
Old 07-11-2021, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 camaro rs convertible
Engine: 3.1L v6
Transmission: 5 speed manual

I tried rubber grommet end links, and they looked warped and unseated. see attached.

ive already ordered ES grommets to replace these jacked up rubber ones. it was pretty difficult to get them on even.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:01 AM

I wish I had a chance to comment before you ordered the ES end link bushings. Regardless, IMO a much better option is the 1LE end links. They have superior bushings that have a molded cup which captures them in the washer preventing them from extruding with time. Keep an eye on the bushings and especially look at them when you start hearing clunking from the suspension.

1LE end link
http://www.top-downsolutions.com/1le-End-Link-Kit

Lon Salgren
Top-Down Solutions
Old 07-11-2021, 11:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

When you put the car on the ground with the suspension in its proper position, some of that, at least, will straighten out. As it is, with the CAs fully extended like that, the entire system is stretched all the way to one of its limits, nowhere near where it will be in normal use.

You'll find that it's MUCH eeeeezier to replace them if you support the car under the ball joint area which will put the CA much more nearly at its normal ride height, rather than under the frame letting the CAs go all the way down as low as they can get.