Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Thank you members of TGO - My Smog Hell Story - Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 TA http://bit.ly/1EadkbO
Engine: 5.0 V8 LG4 BBL
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Thank you members of TGO - My Smog Hell Story - Part 2

Chapter 7 - Digging yourself out

When i drop the parts to Jimmy, i give him print outs of everything he needs to put it all back together. I give him a 2000 page manual, camaro assembly line print outs. the works. Its basically as if he was back at a dealership in 1982. At first, he's like "Don't worry" and is fairly dismissive of the print outs.

After i drop the third bag of crap at his feet, he starts picking up and reading through the binder. "yeah, this stuff is good"

And so i wait 3 weeks.

During this time, i start losing sleep, i'm on TGO or GMPartsEast, or EBay or Amazon for 4-5 hours every night. I start turning up late for work, i miss deadlines, birthdays.

I'm trying to find the missing and broken hoses, and debug my Check Engine Light issues without the car. I spend about $200 on miscellaneous parts that i know Jimmy doesn't have.

Earlier in the week, Jimmy calls me to say some part are bad, i buy another smog pump, another air diverter, 2 more check valves, a plenum + ducting and an EGR from TGO member knightrider5000. I drive down to him after work one night when its pissing rain, and the place is closed, and hang the parts on the back of his garage lot gates, hoping they are not stolen.

Jimmy calls me to pick up the car on the 23rd of May.

Whatever i can do so that i don't have to drive it home with major work remaining. I do.

When i arrive, the car looks the exact same, except under the hood and underneath. He has done a huge amount of work. I chronicle it in my blog (which i also start to lose energy for).

I can't believe he's taken it this far, he has had to weld a bunch of stuff and everything i gave him is attached where possible.

He charges me $550 including the California Approved CAT. I'm pretty speechless, i though it was going to be much more, and honestly i would have had to give it to him in installments at this point.

He does not really do electrical work and so he's unable to fix the check engine light, but he allows me to change out my dash and do my own trouble shooting in his garage on a Saturday which is cool.

I debug the Check Engine light for 3 hours, and i can't fix it.

I tow her home, but we're back in the game.

Chapter 8 - Striving for new lows

At this point TGO has basically guided me through the majority of what i needed to do. I was 95% there, but man oh man, if that final 5% was not a pain in the ***.

I still had no CEL. I traced it to the Lamp Driver with help from TGOers and bought a new one. This required me to debug it on my street and take my dash apart to get at the Lamp Driver to test it and replace it.

It had a blown transistor, it was obvious, and i was hoping the new part would fix all of my problems. It was $20 on Amazon.

It did. As soon as the part was replaced, the whole diagnostic system seemed to come alive, although it was probably just the lamp!

I finally had check engine codes, i had 3 of them. 13, 15, and 24. I just had to clear them, fit the hoses, and i was ready for a smog test.

And then my neighbors called the cops.

Chapter 9 - Avoiding the law

This is where it just got insane.

Basically, you cannot leave a car for longer than 72 hours on a street in my town. And you can't work on cars. I didn't know that, someone else did.

And they didn't like my smelly trans am parked next to their new Mini. Even though MY new Mini is parked next to theirs! And i guess they didn't like a guy in cargo shorts with his legs sticking on to the pavement as he put back in the ECM. I mean i get it.. but.. yeah.

So i received a citation, for "abandoning or storing a vehicle" and my Trans Am was nicely nestled in the traffic system as being

a) In the state of CA
b) Abandoned in CA
c) Not registered in CA

I had 24 hours before it was impounded. My wife was so angry at me at this point that it was just super rough.

So i moved it. and i moved it again. I just kept moving it around the blocks every 24 hours hoping it wasn't going to get towed.

It was truly a new low.

Not only that but now i had a citation - the clock was ACTUALLY ticking.

Before, i was worried about the 20 day thing, but it didn't matter. No one knew the car was in CA. Now they did, and i had 20 days to register it.

This was 10 days ago.

Chapter 10 - Complying with the law-ish

At this point you are probably asking what is wrong with me? Just go to your "friendly" smog guy and get it passed.

Over the course of the hassle that i went through to get this work legally done, i had 3 separate offers to get it passed under the table.

The first guy was from a friend of mine, he had his done. I met his guy, it was $150 bucks but he wanted to do it at some weird time. I passed.
The second guy was the 1982 trans am guy, he though i was insane. He was like, take the wheels, leave the parts here, and i'll bring you to my guy. It was $200. I didn't know him so i passed.
The third guy was just a customer at the smog station after my first failure. He had a friend. $150 bucks. I passed.

I was worried, what way was it done? was my car going to get flagged later? I just had no clue. And i was soooooo close.

There was one problem, the hose layout was so weird with tees that had 3 different sizes on them that i couldn't figure it out. There were just too many hose sizes and tees and not enough documentation.

I needed a reference car and gearhead141 had one. I reached out to him because he had replied on one of my threads. And so started a 50 email ping pong where he answered every single tiny question i had, and took detailed photos of everything i needed to do. If Jimmy was the first turning point, then Erich (gearhead) was the second.

By the time we were finished, i knew the emissions systems of an LG4 inside and out. I even helped him spot an issue with his, one of his hoses was in the wrong place, it was insane. I actually knew **** about my car.

Last weekend, i had absolutely every part i needed. So i went down to an auto parts store to get some hose clips, and then spent 5 hours outside the store putting my car back together, underneath a sign that said it was illegal to do so.

Everything was on, but clips and tees broke, i superglued them back together. I had cross threads on my coolant sensor. Both EGR's i had bought were bad. I had to buy an EGR on the spot and get it shipped from their warehouse to the parking lot in an hour. It was a mess.

But it was working.

I had no codes, and i had a hose layout that matched factory spec exactly.

Chapter 11 - The final count down

And then we come to last Sunday. I drive my car to the smog station and get ready to do the test.

I pass EVAP, but my timing is off... he can't go any further. He doesnt charge me and tells me to get a mechanic to look at it.

This morning i take my car to the ORIGINAL guy who looked at my motor, Dave. The guys who called me back after 5 minutes of looking at the car. They were super nice guys, but i think they were surprised to see my car not impounded.

I was like, "guys, this car is good to go, i just need you to set my timing and i'm going back to smog it". So they tried.

But it didn't work, my hamronic balancer was off, it would not set at base timing from the specs (UBF) and my specs were right. i knew this 100%.

So they had to find Top Dead Center manually, which they did and $99 later i was back at the Smog station.

I failed. I was running too rich.

I brought it right back to Dave. He tweaked it to make it leaner.

I tested again.

I passed. I registered. I drove away legally.

Epilogue

I really want to thank everyone who responded to a thread, commented or helped me in any way.

Every little thing helped and i never felt alone.

Thanks to everyone for being here and helping folks like me keep these cars on the road.

Also never give up. NEVER.

Last edited by KNIGHTE; 06-11-2015 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:16 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1990 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Stock
Re: Thank you members of TGO - My Smog Hell Story - Part 2

Wow. Dude, what a write-up and what a crazy, nerve-racking story.
I'm happy you followed through with all of it and finally got your car on the road legally!

I'm just realizing that all the crap I had to deal with on my car is no comparison to the kind of stress and punishment you've received.

Enjoy the car
Old 06-10-2015, 07:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 98 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

WOW.........Thanks for the story and CONGRATS on the PASS!!!!
Old 06-10-2015, 08:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 385 Fastburn
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 9-bolt posi, 3.27 gears

Congrats!!! Glad you get to finally enjoy the car!

also...you can't work on your car in your neighborhood???!!!???

another reason I do not want to live in california lol.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: LG4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08

You've been through hell to get to where you are now with the car Mick. Do something nice for the wife to let her know you still care about her. The journey with your car has really just begun. We will continue to help and give you our support here on the board. Many of these folks have helped me out, and that is what it is all about. I was given some advice after I bought my car, and that was "drive it". And that is what I have done. It still needs paint and upholstery but I drive it and enjoy every mile I spend in that car. I enjoy it for what it is. I don't try to blow by everybody on the freeway, but rather enjoy the drive and the smooth running engine. As you put some miles on it, you're going to find things that need to be taken care of. It's a machine and parts wear out; especially 30 year old parts! You'll get to learn about your car. Have fun with it.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45

Great story man, I'd put this right up there with harry potter. Can't wait for the sequel.

But congrats on getting her passed and the dedication of getting another thirdgen back on the road. Your story almost makes me feel guilty for ripping out my air diverter and smog pump last week lol.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by NCC-2569
Wow. Dude, what a write-up and what a crazy, nerve-racking story.
I'm happy you followed through with all of it and finally got your car on the road legally!

I'm just realizing that all the crap I had to deal with on my car is no comparison to the kind of stress and punishment you've received.

Enjoy the car
Thanks dude. I drove it to work today and everyone was amazed to see I had it on the road - it looks great and runs great. I am very very happy right now :-)
Old 06-10-2015, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by RedLeader289
Congrats!!! Glad you get to finally enjoy the car!

also...you can't work on your car in your neighborhood???!!!???

another reason I do not want to live in california lol.
I know right? It's crazy where I live!
Old 06-10-2015, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by gearhead141
You've been through hell to get to where you are now with the car Mick. Do something nice for the wife to let her know you still care about her. The journey with your car has really just begun. We will continue to help and give you our support here on the board. Many of these folks have helped me out, and that is what it is all about. I was given some advice after I bought my car, and that was "drive it". And that is what I have done. It still needs paint and upholstery but I drive it and enjoy every mile I spend in that car. I enjoy it for what it is. I don't try to blow by everybody on the freeway, but rather enjoy the drive and the smooth running engine. As you put some miles on it, you're going to find things that need to be taken care of. It's a machine and parts wear out; especially 30 year old parts! You'll get to learn about your car. Have fun with it.
Ahh the man himself :-)

Thanks again dude, I'm so glad you responded to my email, or this would have turned out very differently...

The car looks and runs great - now on to installing my cream interior
Old 06-10-2015, 09:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 766 Likes on 517 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

I would move out of that stupid state so fast it's not funny. What a joke but I'm glad you have your dream car together.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:01 PM

Car: 86 Trans Am
Engine: 305 LB9
Transmission: 700r4

Awesome story! It must feel good to drive it after all that hard work! Especially since it was your dream car.

Glad you kept it alive and you had good people to help you along the way! Hopefully marital issues have been sorted lol
Old 06-10-2015, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by TTOP350
I would move out of that stupid state so fast it's not funny. What a joke but I'm glad you have your dream car together.
Thanks Dude - it's funny right, but honestly I think I have actually come to terms with The plan here in CA. I came from Boston and I am telling you dude, the Air in LA is wayyyyy cleaner.

I honestly think it's a matter of time before the larger cities with smog issues follow suit.

It doesn't make sense for say rural Vermont, (or rural Washington where the seller was from).

They don't have the critical mass that makes smog a problem.

In LA however it's a goddam disaster, the traffic is.... Insane. I have to believe that somehow - this made sense.

(Hey - Or whatever I have to tell myself to feel better right :-) )
Old 06-10-2015, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by apie2546
Awesome story! It must feel good to drive it after all that hard work! Especially since it was your dream car.

Glad you kept it alive and you had good people to help you along the way! Hopefully marital issues have been sorted lol
Oh dude.. The feeling of being able to drive without fear of being pulled over? It's like I got out of jail or something.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts
Car: '91 GTA, '92 T/A Convertible
Engine: GTA: 350 w/Vortec heads, T/A: 305
Transmission: Pro-built 700R4
Axle/Gears: GTA: 3.27, T/A: 2.73

Congrats on finally achieving your goal. I commend you on sticking with it and getting your car to run legally instead of taking the easy way out with phony smog certs.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:13 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by TTOP350
I would move out of that stupid state so fast it's not funny.
Are you talking about the state where we can drive our cars all year long? I'm glad I don't have to worry about winterizing my car or dealing with road salt rusting my floorpans and wheel wells. People blow the smog rules out of proportion. They aren't that hard to comply with if you maintain your car.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:19 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by blacksunshine'91
Are you talking about the state where we can drive our cars all year long? I'm glad I don't have to worry about winterizing my car or dealing with road salt rusting my floorpans and wheel wells. People blow the smog rules out of proportion. They aren't that hard to comply with if you maintain your car.
How do you get away with engine mods/exhaust? or do you just keep cars stock?
Old 06-11-2015, 11:04 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by RedLeader289
How do you get away with engine mods/exhaust? or do you just keep cars stock?
The only things stock on my car are the seats. My entire drivetrain has been replaced and I have smogged my car multiple times since then.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:22 AM
Supreme Member

The only things stock on my car are the seats. My entire drivetrain has been replaced and I have smogged my car multiple times since then.
Hm, mmk. I was just curious, I don't claim to know how the rules work or anything.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 766 Likes on 517 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

Yes, that state.
I have never winterized my car, unless you call washing it and putting it in the garage for 3maybe4 months winterizing it. (normally gets upgrades then)
I used to daily it all through winter, no rust, if you know how to maintain your car.

Around here they have actually shut down quite a few smog stations. 97% of the issues found were loose gas caps and it wasn't cost effective to keep them open 4 that.

Want to get rid of the smog in LA? Its easy to do, level the mountains and it will blow away instead of being trapped. (think of air movement in the bed of a pickup truck going down the road)
May not be the easiest way to fix things but it would work like a champ.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:21 PM
Supreme Member

I'm with you on getting rid of LA. Lucky for me I live on the beach near Ventura. Much cleaner air up here.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,277 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Congrats on getting it done.

I took a new job that moved me out there in 2000. Of course I brought along my 83 L69 car, among others. Little did I know then...

But I know more now. For one thing, I verified pretty thoroughly, by direct A/B comparison. that most of the "devices" that were on the car, had NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER on performance. And that in fact, a rigorous inspection to make sure that everything was installed, leak-free, RIGHT, and at least intact, made my car run AHELLUVALOT better than just half-assing whatever was in my way ATM.

But just the same, it was a humiliating experience: other people told me how my car HAD TO be, and it didn't matter in the slightest what I thought. I had to "submit". (my favorite Internet form word)

Again, congrats; what you've accomplished isn't "easy", given that your car was probably MUCH worse then mine, in terms of having to restore it. Mine, when I moved out there, had a 400 with a big solid cam and a Holley carb on top; BUT, I had been logical enough that EVERY SINGLE PIECE I had ever removed from the car that was related to emissions - wiring, vacuum stuff, whatever - I had thrown in a box and KEPT. So I only had to come up with a few things that were broken or whatever, as opposed to dealing with a complete hack job and basically needing a whole car to scavenge all that stuff off of.

So yeah, I've been where you were, where you are, and maybe even a little of where you WILL BE, with your car. Enjoy the feeling of accomplishment that comes with bringing your car up to compliance with the toughest regulations there are. There's been LOTS of cars junked for less than what you had to do, and you NOT ONLY preserved your car, BUT ALSO, now you get to enjoy using it any time you want, without fear of lavishing in "enforcement".

Good job!! Glad we out here could help.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom

I took a new job that moved me out there in 2000. Of course I brought along my 83 L69 car, among others. Little did I know then...

But I know more now. For one thing, I verified pretty thoroughly, by direct A/B comparison. that most of the "devices" that were on the car, had NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER on performance. And that in fact, a rigorous inspection to make sure that everything was installed, leak-free, RIGHT, and at least intact, made my car run AHELLUVALOT better than just half-assing whatever was in my way ATM.

But just the same, it was a humiliating experience: other people told me how my car HAD TO be, and it didn't matter in the slightest what I thought. I had to "submit". (my favorite Internet form word)

Again, congrats; what you've accomplished isn't "easy", given that your car was probably MUCH worse then mine, in terms of having to restore it. Mine, when I moved out there, had a 400 with a big solid cam and a Holley carb on top; BUT, I had been logical enough that EVERY SINGLE PIECE I had ever removed from the car that was related to emissions - wiring, vacuum stuff, whatever - I had thrown in a box and KEPT. So I only had to come up with a few things that were broken or whatever, as opposed to dealing with a complete hack job and basically needing a whole car to scavenge all that stuff off of.

So yeah, I've been where you were, where you are, and maybe even a little of where you WILL BE, with your car. Enjoy the feeling of accomplishment that comes with bringing your car up to compliance with the toughest regulations there are. There's been LOTS of cars junked for less than what you had to do, and you NOT ONLY preserved your car, BUT ALSO, now you get to enjoy using it any time you want, without fear of lavishing in "enforcement".

Thanks man! TGO is a great community :-)

Hey, and guess where i parked my car today and yesterday?

Right smack bang on the public parking area outside the 'posh' house where it got the ticket. Suck it.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:59 PM

Car: 89GTA Black, Black cloth
Engine: LB9 26,000 miles
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Australian 9 bolt

congrats that would make a good movie omg if you have vacuum advance you have to unplug the vacuum line and plug it to get to base timing drive the !!!! out of it
Old 06-11-2015, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom

One other thing sofakingdom, i updated my Part 1 yesterday to basically say the same thing you mentioned. The smog gear has hardly any effect on performance. I think if i see threads on doing smog deletes and such i will just redirect them here, there is just no point unless it is going to be a show car maybe, or if you really want to clean up the engine bay.

If you have to move state after doing a smog delete, you may have to sell the car altogether, so, as you did, better to keep all of that stuff.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow, I just finished Part 1. Didn't know Part 2 was up already.

"and then spent 5 hours outside the store putting my car back together, underneath a sign that said it was illegal to do so."

I've been there and done that so many times when I was younger I knew the guys at the local Pep Boys on a first name basis. They knew the term "hours of operation" didn't apply to me. I could do anything I wanted on their lot, so long as I cleaned up the mess afterwards. I once did a cylinder head swap in their parking lot. They were open until 9 PM. I finished around 1am. But I DROVE that damned car home, by God.

Great story. I've never seen anybody that determined to put their car back to smog-legal the right way. Like me, it sounds like you do your best work with a gun to your head.

Last edited by Damon; 06-12-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:02 PM

Car: 86 Iroc-Z
Engine: Swapped 350 SBC
Transmission: Borg Warner T5

Wow, I am currently in that same boat... only difference my neighbors don't/haven't called the cops on me and I got it smogged through a guy so that I had my registration and tags... until I get her to pass on her own like yours. I'm happy to hear there is light at the end of the tunnel, gives me hope that Its actually possible and that ill get her done and wave to all my nay sayers with the Ttops down like i was cruising in the 80s.. well maybe not the 80s but you get the drift.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Marucci714
Wow, I am currently in that same boat... only difference my neighbors don't/haven't called the cops on me and I got it smogged through a guy so that I had my registration and tags... until I get her to pass on her own like yours. I'm happy to hear there is light at the end of the tunnel, gives me hope that Its actually possible and that ill get her done and wave to all my nay sayers with the Ttops down like i was cruising in the 80s.. well maybe not the 80s but you get the drift.
Hey - I've spend all my new found time not fixing the car, on the Knight Rider fourms and facebook pages, just wanted to check in here again.

Did you get it to pass smog?