Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Fuel Tank Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 07:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Fuel Tank Issues

hey guys, wasn't sure where else to post this. I recently changed out my fuel pump twice (the pulsator went the 2nd time and i figured just change out completely). Since then, I have been getting a STRONG odor of fuel whenever i fill the tank to full, or nearly full. Once it dips down lower, its fine. I looked at the fuel neck and saw the filler-flap doesnt close all the way. I'm thinking this may be the issue, since sometimes at certain gas pumps i have to hold the fume-return open on the pump, otherwise it doesnt seem to vent properly.

I suppose my question is, do you guys have any suggestions on how to fix this? with my new Racetronix pump, if i run the car lower than 1/4 tank, the pump will overheat and shut down. Has anyone had any similar issues? I had this tank repaired once already because the filler neck had a crack (apparently a common issue in these cars from the factory). Thanks guys, i appreciate any help....and so does my house and family lol
Old 01-19-2017, 08:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 Z28 Camaro
Engine: 305 LG4 4bbl
Transmission: TH700R4
Re: Fuel Tank Issues

could be 2 things,

1. you might not have got the tank to seal properly around the locking ring (unlikely as your smell goes away)

2. blocked tank vent, pretty common issue, apparently you cant buy them anymore though. (much more likely)

Isnt there a stick somewhere about how to repair/clean one on here somewhere?
Old 01-20-2017, 06:00 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by zed-028
could be 2 things,

1. you might not have got the tank to seal properly around the locking ring (unlikely as your smell goes away)

2. blocked tank vent, pretty common issue, apparently you cant buy them anymore though. (much more likely)

Isnt there a stick somewhere about how to repair/clean one on here somewhere?
I will try find the sticky, thank you very much
Old 01-20-2017, 09:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Start at post #15

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/hist...ent-valve.html
Old 01-20-2017, 11:56 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Bob88GTA
Thank you, i saw this while i was doing my searches. Wasnt sure if this could be the culprit....will have to get this out and get to work. I am just hoping i didnt damage the fuel filler neck when i did the pump last. I have had it repaired once already.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:25 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Put a 4th gen plastic tank in it. Has a detachable filler neck. I'm doing an LS swap and I'm using one. You would need to adapt the fuel lines but it's a much better sending unit /pump set up than the 3rd gen.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:48 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by BrianI
Put a 4th gen plastic tank in it. Has a detachable filler neck. I'm doing an LS swap and I'm using one. You would need to adapt the fuel lines but it's a much better sending unit /pump set up than the 3rd gen.
wish i had known about this before. I have already replaced the pump and sending unit. I am going to try to do the vent valve when i get a chance. Right now, i duct taped the fuel cap to the neck to prevent any odor from escaping through the cap.....the house stopped smelling like fuel almost immediately after. I am beginning to think the problem is right up in the fuel cap/filler area.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The original tanks had little of a cup. The replacement tanks had a deeper cup.
Also, get the 1LE fuel sock. It's double ended.