Search

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Transmissions and Drivetrain
Register Forgot Password?

Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?
Sponsored by Hughes Performance
Click Here

Welcome to ThirdGen.org!
Welcome to ThirdGen.org.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join the ThirdGen.org community today!

Old 12-10-2006, 05:11 PM   #1

Classifieds Rating: (0)
T5 input shaft length

New to the forum, my first post:

I just got a hold of a newer high torque world class T5 I plan to use. Its a 1352-246 out of a 94 v8 mustang GT. From what I have read, though this t5 is extra strong, it has a longer input shaft than the usual t5's. Can anyone confirm this?

If its true, does anyone know what bellhousing I can use behind a sbc...?
Gusaroo is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:23 PM   #2
Supreme Member

Car: 89 GTA
Engine: 5.7L Supercharged
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" 3.70

Classifieds Rating: (7)

Ah I don't think I ever seen someone make some kind of conversion bellhousing from GM to Ford. Think you out of luck.
ATI Procharger D1SC, AFR 195 Eliminator heads, Mini Ram, XFI 280 cam, AS&M Mono-blade TB, 60Ibs injectors, Stainless Works LT 1 3/4 headers, Mufflex 4" catback with Magnaflow race muffler, McLeod Street twin clutch, Moser Ford 9" with 3.70, DIY Prom with Code59. Stock short block

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2480939
Tony89GTA is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:29 PM   #3

It wouldnt be a ford to chevy conversion, since both are using T5s. I am just wondering if there are chevy t5 bellhousings that have different depths (tranny to block)? I guess I dont know enough about chevy t5 applications...
Old 12-10-2006, 06:21 PM   #4
Supreme Member

Car: 89 GTA
Engine: 5.7L Supercharged
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" 3.70

Classifieds Rating: (7)

They have different bolt patterns on the t-5 case I'am pretty sure.
Tony89GTA is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 06:38 AM   #5
Supreme Member

Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Classifieds Rating: (1)
Quote:
I guess I dont know enough about chevy t5 applications...
Or F*rd ones either, evidently...

Yes the T-5 for Chevy and the one for F*rd are IDENTICAL in every way. Except for the bell housing bolt pattern, the splines on the clutch, the shifter location, the transmission mount bolt pattern, the drive shaft splines, and the lack of a torque arm mount on the F*rd case.

So there you go.. exactly the same, exceptly completely different.

The length of the clutch gear (there's no such thing as an "input shaft" on a manual transmission, so I'm guessing that's the part you're wanting to talk about) is just one more minor detail. Doesn't too much matter whether it's the same or not, there's so many others that will keep it from working.

Roughly paraphrased into modern English, and applied to figuring out what's wrong with your car:

The simplest explanation that fits all the facts is probably the right one.
sofakingdom is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakingdom View Post
Or F*rd ones either, evidently...

Yes the T-5 for Chevy and the one for F*rd are IDENTICAL in every way. Except for the bell housing bolt pattern, the splines on the clutch, the shifter location, the transmission mount bolt pattern, the drive shaft splines, and the lack of a torque arm mount on the F*rd case.

So there you go.. exactly the same, exceptly completely different.

The length of the clutch gear (there's no such thing as an "input shaft" on a manual transmission, so I'm guessing that's the part you're wanting to talk about) is just one more minor detail. Doesn't too much matter whether it's the same or not, there's so many others that will keep it from working.
Thx for the enlightenment Soafaking, I know it aint a a direct bolt in for a 3rd gen. I should have mentioned that this is going in a rod, everything is completely fabricated, so the only thing I am concermed about is the "input shaft", I ain't gonna split hairs with you over what you call it, I have always called it an "input shaft", in fact TREMEC refers to it as an input shaft as well...

I planned on using a 3rd gen bellhousing and someoone told me this forum would be a great source of info regarding 3rd gen bellhousings. I am bummed to just get a alot of guys telling me it won't work and not trying to help.

Ill post youi a pic and details of what parts I used when I got this rig set up.

Last edited by Gusaroo; 12-11-2006 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:24 AM   #7
Supreme Member

Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Classifieds Rating: (1)
The biggest thing about a 3rd gen BH, is that it rotates the transmission about 18 or so, toward the driver.

So the shifter pad is rotated, and the trans mount is rotated, and besides all that, the 3rd gen rear suspension requires the torque arm mount.

Now in some kind of a rod, where nothing is really necessarily "stock" and you're fabbing and adapting everything anyway, it might be adaptable without so much trouble; but it would be a WHOLE LOT less trouble with some BH - ANY BH just about - besides a 3rd gen one. Since this is Chevy V8 stuff and not F*rd, ALL BHs are the same depth, from the beginning of time up until the LSx motors. If you used an older or aftermarket BH, with maybe a F*rd clutch disc and drive shaft and shifter, it might not be too hard to deal with the length issue. But I've never tried, so I'm not going to be able to be more definite than that.

It's 100% certain though, that trying to mate the F*rd transmission to the 3rd gen BH, is a train wreck.

Roughly paraphrased into modern English, and applied to figuring out what's wrong with your car:

The simplest explanation that fits all the facts is probably the right one.

Last edited by sofakingdom; 12-11-2006 at 09:40 AM.
sofakingdom is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:27 AM   #8

Well, the clutch plate out of the 4 speed tranny that was bolted to my chevy motor, slides right onto the T5 (stnd 10 spline) so I know the clutch pressure plate set up won't be an issue. I beleive all T5 four bolt trans mount locations are the same whether the T5 is from a stang or a camaro (or an S10 for that matter). And I think that 3rd gen camaro bellhousings are pretty much standard. I want the 3rd gen cmarao bellhousing so I could go with an ez hyrdaulic set up. The only crap shoot I am facing it the input shaft cramming too far into the pilot bearing. I was hoping to get some info here concerning 3rd gen bellhosuings. I was unaware that the camaro bellhousings only came with one depth. This is good to know.

Last edited by Gusaroo; 12-11-2006 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:27 AM
ThirdGen
1992 Camaro

Paid Advertisement

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Transmissions and Drivetrain

Tags
1352246, 90, camaro, change, chevy, gm, input, length, lengths, longer, measurement, shaft, t5, transmission, tremec