Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifting problem

Hi. I have a 91' Camaro RS, with the stock 700R4. The car ran and drove fine, she's my dad's daily driver, until Saturday.

She wouldn't shift out of 1st gear, but we had reverse. He limped her home and found her fluid was a little low. Filled her up, and checked and she has no leaks.

He took her for a test drive, and he still has no gears except 1st and reverse. So he figured it was the governor and bought one off of Ebay.

It came in today and he installed it, and the car is still refusing to shift. But she goes into 2nd at high rpms.

We're wondering if we could have gotten a bad governor from ebay. It was refurbished but the green gear at the end won't turn, and according to my dad's mechanic friend, it should move freely. The original also wouldn't turn.

Thanks.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: Shifting problem

Originally Posted by Rain Shadow
We're wondering if we could have gotten a bad governor from ebay. It was refurbished but the green gear at the end won't turn, and according to my dad's mechanic friend, it should move freely. The original also wouldn't turn.

Thanks.
I can't tell you for certain why it won't properly shift , but I can tell you that the green gear spins the entire governor and is not supposed to spin independent of the whole rest of the unit .

One other thing to check (requires going into the transmission oil pan) would be the springs on the accumulator valves that are with the valve body . These springs are noted for breaking and if you want to see what they look like check out my stickied thread "pictures of every component of a 700R4" .