South Central Region Board for the states of Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisana.

"spring Fling Thing" Info/directions Etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 IROC Z-28
Engine: L98 350--modified
Transmission: 700 R4--modified
Axle/Gears: 4:10 Posi
"Spring Fling Thing" Info/Directions Etc.

"SPRING FLING THING" INFO/DIRECTIONS ETC.

WHO: Any and all thirdgenners from anywhere in the Solar System that want to attend! We especially invite any "out of towners". This may truly turn out to be our first State Wide Thirdgen meet!

WHEN:
1 PM--March 26--Saturday afternoon
3 PM--"Burning of the Dogs"
4:30 PM--Judging/ Appearance Awards
5 PM--Mass cruise to Houston Motorsports Park 1/8 mile drag strip
5:30 PM--Race til U Puke!!!
?:?? PM--Drag strip awards

WHERE: Alexander DeussenPark
http://www.co.harris.tx.us/comm_lee/PDeussen/

Directions to Park:
http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?cs...=l&trf=0&mag=3

Houston Motorsports Park
http://www.houstonmotorsportspark.com/

Directions from Park to HMP:
http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result?ed=K...=&zoom=1&mag=4

WHY: Cause it the cool thing to do!

HOW: Just show up! It's FREE to attend the meet in the park. It is 10.00 per person for the drag strip and an additional 10.00 per car if U want to run on the strip.

Everybody that attends will be eligable to vote for the following "Appearance Awards" catagories. A simple form will be provided--all cars will have a sheet of paper under the windshield with their name.

Awards fund link below:
https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=274658

Best Paint/Overall Exterior appearance
Best Interior
Best/Cleanest Engine compartment
Best Overall--All catagories combined

Best/Long Distance Award--for the person/car that travels the furthest to attend the event.

Drag strip awards--based on performance that night:

Best reaction time
Best 60' time
Best/Quickest pass

THIRDGEN ONLY SWAP MEET---Buy/Sell/Trade!
Bring anything and everything U are wanting to get rid of. If U don't want to actually bring the items with U to the meet--bring a list and/or pics of the items--A "Virtual" Swap Meet. Most of us have stuff lying around the garage that we would like to get rid of (I know I do). This the perfect opportunity!!!

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=279636

Rain date--Sat.--April 2-- 2005

AS u probably already know, the "rained out" Spring Fling Thing has been rescheduled for this Sat--same time--same place. (see the SFT info + directions thread for more info). The weather is looking pretty good, so I don't think I 'll have a chance to screw it up again! It looks like it might be pretty cold in the evening, so bring the appropiate clothing for the strip as the wind always seems to be pretty strong there!

We will be voting for all the appearance awards. When u get there come see me or Mrs. ZAP and get a piece of paper so U can put your name /TGO screen name under your windshield wiper. Everybody that is there will get one vote in all the different catagories. I will have a form made out for U to use and turn in. we will count votes and hand out the awards before we take off to the drag strip about 5:30.

PLEASE, whoever is the first one in line of cars, leading the mass cruise, MAKE SURE U KNOW HOW TO GET TO THE TRACK FROM THE PARK!

I certainly wouldn't expect any of the out of towners to come down again, so unless somebody shows up that comes from a further distance than K's89RS did, he will get the "long distance award". All of the other appearance awards will be bsed on who is there this Sat--not who was there last Sat.

All of the performance awards will be based on this weeks runs at the strip--not last weeks--U MUST present time slips (YOUR TIME SLIPS--NOT SOMEONE ELSE'S!). We will gather around 9 to 10 PM and do this and hand out the awards.

We have a few left over items as far as food (ipack of sauage that Mrs. ZAP threw in the freezer and a big bundle of bottled water. I know I am asking many of u to bring food 2 weeks in a row, but that's life in the big city! We will get a couple extra packs of dogs and buns, but please bring whatever U can so we have plenty for everybody. I doubt if Mrs. ZAP will make another batch of tater salad and deviled eggs, but U never know with her! So, try and bring whatever U said U would originally bring to the SFT.

See U Sat--1PM

Last edited by Zap Racing; 03-29-2005 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC Z-28
Engine: 355
Transmission: TH-350
Axle/Gears: 3:73
I like carbon with my hot dogs.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by Barry85Iroc
I like carbon with my hot dogs.
Wrong thread--Wait for the food thread next month, and U can get all the carbon dogs U want. In fact I'm signing U up to bring some--(carbon that is)!
Old 01-10-2005, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by Zap Racing
Wrong thread--Wait for the food thread next month, and U can get all the carbon dogs U want. In fact I'm signing U up to bring some--(carbon that is)!
I thought the carbon came when you burned..........uh.......cooked 'em.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:17 AM

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=274658
Old 01-14-2005, 12:24 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Kitt
Engine: Classified
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Moser/4:11
We've gotta add some more awards guys! I'm not gonna win any of those!
How about Most Unique Car
Old 01-14-2005, 05:36 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: '86 T/A
Engine: 350/LT1 Intake
Transmission: 700R4 - Built
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.42
How about "closest to 4th gen" award.

As long as Fatal88 doesn't show up, I am good to go
Old 01-16-2005, 01:51 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Berlinetta 84 MonteCL
Engine: 3.4 MPFI 3.8 229
Transmission: 700r4 T350
Originally posted by tamatt27
We've gotta add some more awards guys! I'm not gonna win any of those!
How about Most Unique Car
If I ever manage to do the "pop-top" hatch mod, nobody will be able to touch the "uniqueness" of the Supersix Camaro But seriously though, I'm gonna do that mod, just gotta get me some fiberglass and some time indoors
Old 01-17-2005, 01:28 AM

Car: 87-Z r.i.p & 93-Z sold 99s-10
Engine: 305 TPI , 350 LT1, 2.2 4cylinder
Transmission: 700 R4, 4l60, ?
sounds alot like "poppin trunk" oh well i would like to see whats up .....
Old 01-20-2005, 02:30 PM

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...55#post2165755
Old 02-13-2005, 04:59 PM

Let's do some sausage..........
Old 02-21-2005, 08:39 AM

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=279636

Last edited by Zap Racing; 02-21-2005 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:32 AM

We still need a few more small donations to cover the cost of the awards.

Come on people don't make me beg! This is what U guys wanted, so let's step up to the plate. Even with the genorisity of Kevin89formula we still are short.

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...55#post2165755

Last edited by Zap Racing; 02-22-2005 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:54 PM

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=281581
Old 03-09-2005, 08:46 AM

The way things always seem to go--if we don't have a "rain date"--we will need one. If we DO have a "rain date" we will not need it. So.....

RAIN DATE FOR THE SPRING FLING THING IS SATURDAY--APRIL 2, 2005!
Old 03-16-2005, 09:17 AM

SPRING FLING THING--10 days and counting!

Get your rides in running order.

Shine them up pretty. (Don't forget we are giving a bunch of awards/plaques for appearance and performance.)

Don't forget yur cameras.

Bring yur folding chairs or whatever creature comforts U are into! Be sure and bring the appropiate clothing in case it turns cold at the strip that night.

Get your thirdgen virtual swap meet pics ready.

Don't forget to double check your food committments.

AND MOST OF ALL--DON"T FORGET TO SHOW UP!!!
Old 03-17-2005, 05:17 PM

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=284821
Old 03-24-2005, 08:52 AM

A couple of last minute things about the "Spring Fling Thing"

We do not have a pavillion reserved at the park. That means we will do the same thing as the summer meet we had there last year. Since it is advertised as starting at 1:00PM, I plan on getting there about 12:00 to 12:30 to drive around and find a spot or empty pavillion where we will meet up. If anybody else gets there early, drive around and do the same --see if there is a pavillion not being used and try and "claim the spot"--or drive around til U see the cars already gathered and join the crowd. The park is fairly large and a few of the areas are not very visable from the main road through the park, so call me on the cell if needed.

713-823-7019

If it is raining on your side of town, DO NOT ASSUME it has been cancelled. Last year, in certain parts of town, it was raining like crazy, but we did not get any rain at the park. CALL IF U HAVE ANY QUESTIONS!

I just got off the phone with Houston Motorsports Park. Yes they are having the "Clobberthon #13", but all that means is that there will be a bunch of badass fast cars there. They said that "test-n tuners" are more than welcome! Admission will be 15.00 instead of 10.00 per person and 10.00 extra (per car--as normal) to run on the strip. The track stays open late, so even if there is times when U can't just keep going back time after time after time to run, while they are running eliminations in the event, there will still be plenty of time to make plenty of passes, before the night is over.

When there is a big turnout at the strip, if all of the regular pit area adjacent to the track is taken, U can park/pit in the the paved pit area (or even on the track itself) of the 1/3 mile paved roundy round track.

We will need to gather up around 10:00 to 11:00PM to look at time slips to hand out the awards for the 3 performance catgories. (Appearance awards will be handed out at the park, before we have the mass cruise to the drag strip--around 5:30 to 6:00 PM)We will "play it by ear" as to where and when. TIME SLIPS MUST BE PRESENTED--NO WORD OF MOUTH! And don't think U can wait down by the timing stand and get a FAST time slip from one of the really fast cars that are there either!!!

2 DAYS!

Don't forget yur cameras.

Bring yur folding chairs or whatever creature comforts U are into! Be sure and bring the appropiate clothing in case it turns cold at the strip that night.

Get your thirdgen virtual swap meet pics ready.

Don't forget to double check your food committments.

AND MOST OF ALL--DON"T FORGET TO SHOW UP!!!
Old 03-25-2005, 05:20 PM

OK--I just got off the phone with Hou. Motorsports park. Their rainout policy is very good. If the track declares a rainout, the tickets U paid for are good for full value, for ANY EVENT, ANY DATE in the future!

If it rains they will try and dry the track if possible and continue the program. So, if it rains and U leave--you are on your own. If they get on the loudspeaker and declare it a rainout, the ticket stubs for whatever U paid, are basically a credit slip. If U have any question u can check with them at the ticket office on the way out to verify the tickets are good. Like I said earlier they will be good for ANY EVENT (DRAG STRIP OR ROUNDY ROUND TRACK) and/or ANY DATE in the future. Good for Fri. nights--Sat. nights--Sun nights! U can verify this yourself if U wish, by calling HMP @281-458-1972.

I know the weather forecast is not the best, but knowing all this--as well as based on past experiances, (like the summer meet last year and how the weather turned out that day/night with an even worse forecast) we should go ahead with the plans as is!

The park portion of the SFT, is from 1PM to 5/5:30PM and I think we should stick to that schedule. If everybody shows up that says they are going to, I know for a fact, that there are 2 or 3 people/cars that do NOT post on this board that are planning on coming to the park, but not going to the strip. There are several people from Dallas/Ft. Worth that are going to be driving down, as well as others from out of town, that we owe it to them to not cancel it the first time Chicken Little starts yelling "The sky is falling"!

If we are able to get in the park during the day, but get rained at the track, considering they are open on Sun from 5PM to 11:30PM, we COULD do the track portion of the SFT the next day--next weekend--OR WHENEVER EVEYBODY WANTS TO DO IT!!! I know this would leave the out of towners out of the action, but with the rain out policy the way it is, at least they won't be out any money.

What WILL constitute a rainout as far as the SFT in general? Well, if it is raining all afternoon, without letting up, that would be a rainout! (NOT just a passing shower)
AS well, even if it does rain all afternoon, but then clears up before sundown and the strip is up and running, I myself am going to the track. Even if we declare the SFT rained out, but I'm gonna go and make a few passes anyway!

If we have to declare a rainout for the SFT, remember the rain date is next Saturday 4/02/05--same time schedule.

Call the cell if U need updated info about what is going on!
713-823-7019

Craig
Old 03-26-2005, 06:01 AM

Well, it's 5:30 AM--just looked at the radar on the weather channel--doesn't look good--if the storm front that is in the Dallas area stays in tact and doesn't move off to the east like they said it has a possibility of doing--THAT would definately be a "rainout"

THIS SUCKS!!!

I hate the fact that I have to be the one to call it a rainout or not!!! I'm going to wait a few more hours til around noon and see what it's doing.

I realize this puts the out-of-towners in a bad position, since U guys would have to leave before then to get here in time. If we do call a rainout, and any of U guys are down here, then the least I can do is invite everybody over to me house to help eat all this potato salad and deviled eggs that Mrs. ZAP made up last night! It will go bad before next weekend and there's no way I can eat it by myself!

In fact, if it is a rainout--out of town or not--I'm inviting ANYBODY AND EVERYBODY over to my place to help eat up this stuff. We can still do hotdogs and have a rainout PARTAAAAAAA!

IF U NEED TO CALL ME TO FIND OUT WHAT'S GOING ON CALL ME AT
713-723-6393
713-823-7019 cell

Here's another possibility--Even though the official rain date for the SFT is next Sat, tomorrow Sunday is supposed to be prety nice. I know there is a few of the local people that can't make it next weekend. Would some of U or all of U want to meet in the park--burn some dogs-- and go to HMP?

U know--hindsight is 20/20 (that's why they don't make glasses to fit your butt!)-- I've always wondered why we set the rain date for the next weekend instead of the next day! For future refrence--what does everyone think about having it the next day instead of the next week? In this particilar case--how many would have prefered tomorrow/Sun and why?

Craig
Old 03-26-2005, 11:40 AM

Because of the impending BAD/VIOLENT weather headed our direction, I am declaring the SPRING FLING THING a rainout. I really hate to be the one that makes that decision, but I've been watching the radar all morning and it's not a question of if, it's a question of when. The impending weather will and already is keeping people from coming to the event. -I have already heard from several people that are not coming because of the weather (one from out of town and 2 from Hou.).

Take a look at the radar link below.

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/USL...r&prodnav=none

The storm front is generating severe rain patterns/flooding, violent wind gusts of up to 70 MPH, tornados, and baseball size hail!!!

However since it will probably be late afternoon/early evening before it hits, and their are too many diehards that won't let a little rain scare them off, we ARE going to the same park and BBQ and hang out til the weather runs us off!!! Besides MRS ZAP has all this food (tater salad-deviled eggs) that will go to waste if we don't do something with it--so those of U that aren't afraid of getting your car wet--come on out and help us eat some of this food.

The official raindate will be next Saturday--4/02/05-- same time schedule. The awards will be given out next Sat.- I seriously doubt the strip will be up and running tonight because of the weather. If we don't get rained out by 5/5:30 and people want to go to the strip--I'm in, but WE WILL NOT GIVE OUT THE PERFORMANCE AWARDS EITHER! ALL of that will be next Saturday!