Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Fuel Tank Review - TRQ CGM2721B

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 11:48 AM

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
Fuel Tank Review - TRQ CGM2721B

Had a great experience with the TRQ replacement tank this week and wanted to share with the group. This is for fuel-injected cars as it has a baffle in the rear, although I suspect carbureted cars would be able to use as well. My L69 car had a helper pump, but no baffling. Was going to reuse the tank as it was absolutely spotless inside - but during installation I noticed it was pissing out fuel. Somehow during the cleaning process I had managed to create a pinhole leak. So..... I next installed the rusty, crusty tank from my 88 parts car, which is baffled as it had the TPI setup. After a night to sleep on it, I decided that was a dumb thing to do as the scale that I had vacuumed out was certain to come back and clog up the system. As much fun as I had swapping tanks, I opted to buy a new one!

First tried to buy a Spectra tank, as that had the most information on TGO. However, Amazon cancelled the order and was sending all the tanks back to the manufacturer. I then found this tank on eBay. No reviews, but was really the only option I could see.

It installed great and the filler neck was centered right where it should be, or at least close enough that the filler piece slid right into its location. Although it is listed at 14 gallons, I first put in 5 gallons right after installation to make sure it held fuel. On my test drive last night, topped it off with 12.7 gallons. Makes me think it is a 17.5 gallon tank? Not sure.

The only complaint I have is that it is slow to fill up. I had to put the pump on its lowest automatic setting to keep it from backflowing and shutting off the pump. I seem to recall there is some kind of device at the end of the fill tube where it dumps into the tank. That must be the obstruction? Regardless, something I'm ready to live with.

If anyone is looking for a tank, this is one I can recommend!

Some pics:

How it shipped. Comes from Taiwan, I was expecting the filler neck to be better protected. However, there was zero damage upon unboxing.

Baffling installed at the rear of the tank for FI cars

All dressed up and ready to go. I installed a Deatschwerks DW200 in preparation for my TPI install.

Fit smoothly into place.

Filler neck right where I wanted it. Ideally, would be maybe a 0.25" to the right, but not something I'm going to sweat about.
The following users liked this post:
DynoDave43 (05-16-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 07:25 AM

Received 70 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 93 Trans Am
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 Street Twin
Axle/Gears: 12 Bolt 3.90
Re: Fuel Tank Review - TRQ CGM2721B

That's the same tank shell Aeromotive uses on their build and what 1aautoo sells, its a good product. The cap is a fine thread, so late second gen will work. I doubt you caused the pinhole, its pretty common for pinholes at the filler neck, the 91-92 cars had a recall about it. I noticed the same thing about mine, I have the Aeromotive tank and it has to be filled kind of slow or it will click off.
Old 06-18-2021, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.27

I just put in a TRQ fuel tank into my 85 Trans Am. The quality looked good and it shipped okay without any damage. My only issue is the tank was slightly bigger than the original and the tank straps (original) wouldn't reach the bolt location. Here is a pic of the new tank:

Old 08-29-2021, 09:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1989 Formula WS6
Engine: L03 305 TBI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt; 3.42 Posi

Originally Posted by thainglo
Had a great experience with the TRQ replacement tank this week and wanted to share with the group. This is for fuel-injected cars as it has a baffle in the rear, although I suspect carbureted cars would be able to use as well. My L69 car had a helper pump, but no baffling. Was going to reuse the tank as it was absolutely spotless inside - but during installation I noticed it was pissing out fuel. Somehow during the cleaning process I had managed to create a pinhole leak. So..... I next installed the rusty, crusty tank from my 88 parts car, which is baffled as it had the TPI setup. After a night to sleep on it, I decided that was a dumb thing to do as the scale that I had vacuumed out was certain to come back and clog up the system. As much fun as I had swapping tanks, I opted to buy a new one!

First tried to buy a Spectra tank, as that had the most information on TGO. However, Amazon cancelled the order and was sending all the tanks back to the manufacturer. I then found this tank on eBay. No reviews, but was really the only option I could see.

It installed great and the filler neck was centered right where it should be, or at least close enough that the filler piece slid right into its location. Although it is listed at 14 gallons, I first put in 5 gallons right after installation to make sure it held fuel. On my test drive last night, topped it off with 12.7 gallons. Makes me think it is a 17.5 gallon tank? Not sure.

The only complaint I have is that it is slow to fill up. I had to put the pump on its lowest automatic setting to keep it from backflowing and shutting off the pump. I seem to recall there is some kind of device at the end of the fill tube where it dumps into the tank. That must be the obstruction? Regardless, something I'm ready to live with.

If anyone is looking for a tank, this is one I can recommend!

Some pics:

How it shipped. Comes from Taiwan, I was expecting the filler neck to be better protected. However, there was zero damage upon unboxing.

Baffling installed at the rear of the tank for FI cars

All dressed up and ready to go. I installed a Deatschwerks DW200 in preparation for my TPI install.

Fit smoothly into place.

Filler neck right where I wanted it. Ideally, would be maybe a 0.25" to the right, but not something I'm going to sweat about.

Have you got a link to the seller?
Old 08-29-2021, 11:53 AM

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts

Seller was www.1aautomotive.com. They have a website also offering it, but I believe the whole deal was cheaper on ebay.