Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Valiant or Bulldog Keyless entry?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 11:47 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: C1500
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Valiant or Bulldog Keyless entry?

There are two Keyless entry system here in JC-Whitney. The Valiant is $40, and the Bulldog is $45. The Bulldog has an alarm system built it and another optional accessory remote. The Valiant is $5 less, but has no alarm or exta remote button.

I'm leaning toward the Valiant because I don't really want an alarm and I want an OEM look. The Bulldog's remotes look like aftermarket removes, as the Valiant remotes look like factory remotes.

Are these any good? I know someone has tried them before.
Old 03-02-2002, 02:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 6.0L LQ4
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 3.70
I've got the Bulldog system. Once you have keyless entry you will never want a car without it.

-Bulldog only has one button to unlock and lock the doors.
(it would be nice to have seperate buttons)

-On the Bulldog you don't have to hook up the alarm.
(I didn't, it doesn't affect the keyless entry any)

-I know that on the Bulldog you can open the trunck as well

-The Buldog system also has the option of remote start.
(while I didn't hook this up either it's nice to know that the option is there)

If I were to do it again I would probalby go and get one from Crutchfield for a couplle reasons.

1. Wiring the thing up is a pain in the butt. It would be nice to have the excelent directions that are provided for free from Crutchfield.

2. I belive the one that Crutchfield currently offers has seperate buttons for Lock and Unlock.
Old 03-02-2002, 04:34 PM
Supreme Member

Car: yy wife, crazy.
Engine: 350, Vortecs, 650DP
Transmission: TH-350
Axle/Gears: 8.5", 3.42
I have the Bulldog Remote Start w/Keyless Entry on my wife's 96 Chevy Lumina Minivan.

It was a lengthy process hooking it up because they want everything done the right way.

The thing was only like $55-60, and came with a Pos/Neg test lead, wiring, elec. tape, zip ties, hood pin switch, along with a book that included operating and installation instructions. PLUS it came with an instruction video. How much simplier can that be? Plus I was able to go to their webpage and download a wire diagram for that van.

It was easy as hell to install. Just took a while because of the way they recommend you wire it in. It's the 'strip/split/wrap/tape' method.

I installed it right about the turn of the year, and it's been fine. No problems at all.

They definitely proved themselves to me. My buddy had just put a remote start on his 98 Astro for his wife (don't remember what brand) and he helped me with mine. All he could say was "I wish mine would have been that easy to install". Plus his stopped working 4 mos. after he put it in.

AJ
Old 03-02-2002, 10:04 PM

i've installed the valiant keyless entry system that jcwhitney sells. overall i have a favorable impression of the system, especially for the price. The manufacturer's website is: http://www.icdynamics.com

Points of intrest:

- system comes with two remotes
- each remote has three buttons (lock, unlock, trunk release)
- has onboard relays for door locks and trunk release
- excellent range on remotes

- two onboard jumpers
--- ignition controlled door locks (on/off)
--- door lock pulse duration (0.7sec/3.0sec)

- no starter kill output, but if you open the case and solder a wire to the circuit board, you can hook up a starter kill relay (pulsed ground).

- has valet switch socket, but does not come with valet switch
- has flashing light when armed socket, but does not come with LED

system is designed around the same chipset that many crimestopper, delta, black widow, and generic alarms use.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jht...D=4703&BQ=jcw2

Old 03-03-2002, 08:21 AM
TGO Supporter

These are the exact products I have circled in my book.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jht...=92162&BQ=jcw2 It's $5 cheaper in my book.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jht...D=4703&BQ=jcw2

Somebody said they have the Vailant, does it connect to your parklights and horn for comformation of lock/unlock?

Last edited by Keith5; 03-03-2002 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-03-2002, 08:37 AM
TGO Supporter

I'm ordering the Valiant.
Old 03-12-2002, 04:04 AM

Car: 91 RS Convertible
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Hey Keith,

Good choice on the Valiant.
I bought mine from JcWhitney a little over a year ago. It was on sale for $19.99 so I could not beat the price. Mine has worked flawlessly ever since the install and the remotes have a very long distance on them. I'm always in the house when I hit the button and I have never had to aim it at the car in order for it to work.

The instructions that come with the unit is kinda on the weak side, but you can get plenty of install advice from their website.

All in all it took about 2 hours to install and the hardest part was getting the wires through the doors.

Enjoy your new keyless entry.
Old 03-12-2002, 10:36 AM
TGO Supporter

I've found the instuctions to be very good actually. I got it yesterday. I got the door panel off, and the underdash panels off and was trying to fish the wires through the wire "hose" that connects the door to the body when I had to quit and go to work.

In the instructions I don't think it says anything about a flash conformation with the park lights. Yours is already installed, does it have it? I'm thinking no.