Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

I called out 2 car salesmen twice!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2002, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I called out 2 car salesmen twice!!!

A guy I work with was looking through a local Car Trader. When he finished he tossed it to me. An ad caught my attention right away. "91 Formula, 70,000 miles, 350, 6-speed, superfast, $4995"

I could tell from the picture it had been repainted b/c it didn't have any decals. I started thinking that since it had new paint maybe the owner of it had done some serious mod. If it had a 6 speed, I was getting excited and though maybe it had an LT1 in it.

When I got off work I went to look at the car I pulled into the lot and parked my formula right infront of the one for sale. I got out and started to write down the VIN. I had about 3 digits down when 2 sales men were on me like flies on *hit. The conversation went like something like this.

"You like formulas?" one guy asks
"I would say I do"
"Are you looking to buy another one?" says guy number 2
"I've got a friend that has been looking for a firebird I saw your ad here, noticed it's been repainted and thought maybe some one had done some modifications to it"
"Some one took care of it. It's a good deal we've got almost that much invest into it (pointing at the $4995 in the ad)"
"6-speed? I didn't think they put 6 speeds in these cars. Is it not original."
"It's a 6 speed, original."
"Are you sure, it looks like the same 5 speed shifter and console that's in my car."
"It's got a 6 speed if you count reverse," the dumber of the two said. :sillylol: :sillylol: :sillylol:

Summoning all my strength not to laugh, I called them out again, "Well if its a 5 speed, its not a 350, they only put 5 speeds in 305 cars."

"that's a typo."

I told them thanks for their time and turned to leave, and one guy gave me his card and told my to tell my friend he'd give him a good deal.

Eric
Old 04-21-2002, 11:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Yet another 350 TPI
Transmission: Borg Warner 6 spd
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Most used car salesmen are a$$holes by nature. I called an ad that a local dealership had for an 88 IROC and the guy didn't want to tell me anything about the car. "We have over 150 cars, I can get you one you'll like" he said. I told him that unless he had 150 camaros, I wasn't interested, so then he told me the car had a 420 in it. What the hell? I've never even heard of an engine with that displacement. 400? Yes. 427? Yes, but not 420. I told him that these cars never came from factory with anything bigger than a 350 and that a 420 didn't exist. He then told me it had a turbo v6 and I should come and check it out. I got pissed and hung up on him. I can't believe that kind of crap! The guy was pulling $hit out of his a$$ and talking to me like I'm some kind of idiot. Oh, I almost forgot, he gave me attitude when I corrected his bull**** the first time.
Old 04-22-2002, 11:44 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: Stock LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9 bolt
Its been my experience that even new car salesmen don't know the product they are selling. I can't tell you how many times I have talked to some salesman, and after less than a minute of BSing know for a fact that I know more about the car parked in front of his desk then he does. Maybe those salesmen knew that they were lying to you, but most (not all) are just dumb.
Old 04-23-2002, 03:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4
The sad thing is that the ones that can't make it selling cars, usually end up selling car stereos.
Old 04-27-2002, 04:40 AM
Jza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the all-time baddest IROCs I've ever seen has a 420 in it.. It's a Lingenfelter SBC motor. This particular car had that motor with a Superram intake and Vortech supercharger. It was for sale sometime last year or the year before.. I wonder who ended up with it?

Anyway, I can't believe the guy actually told you "it's a 6-speed if you count reverse". You have much more control than I do if you didn't just bust out laughing.
Old 04-28-2002, 12:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Yet another 350 TPI
Transmission: Borg Warner 6 spd
Axle/Gears: 3.73
I hadn't heard about a 420 motor, but I can believe it exists if you take the time to explain that it didn't come on the car originally. The way this guy told me about it, it was just bull****. I am pretty sure that if that IROC had the motor JZA is talking about, the car would have been selling for alot more than the $2600 the guy was asking. And for sure, it would have sold alot quicker than two months (I saw the ad run for two months after I had called the guy).
Old 04-30-2002, 02:56 PM

A few of years ago a buddy of mine bought a twin turbo VR4 Mitsubishi 3000GT for $13,000 when the car was worth about $28,000. The dealership had know idea what they had. They told him it was that japanese version of the Dodge Stealth, but wasn't as nice as the Dodge and they could give him a good deal on it. It was wicked fast and beautiful. Car salesmen rank just below hookers and right above real estate salesmen in my book.
Old 05-01-2002, 05:27 PM
JAF

You're right about most car salespeople. Most don't take the time to learn their product and the dealers don't care to train them. I visit local dealers quite frequently (just to thrash their demos) and often find their turnover is pretty bad.

Also common where I live is dealers and private owners passing off modified firebirds for TAs and Formulas. When you call them on it, they get pretty indignant. As if the buyer is supposed to take what they say as gospel.

Six speed if you count reverse, huh. That deserves an ***-kicking.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:50 PM

hahahahahhahhahahhahah what a GOOOON!
Old 05-18-2002, 09:05 AM

I work in the new/used car area as a service advisor with about 15 years as being a "mechanic" on this from cars to helicopters. Now I would truely agree that there are some car salesman that have a hard time identifing the difference between a helicopter and a car that are clearly labled, but on the same accord, there are some great salesman that know exactly what they are talking about. I would not agree that most car salesmen are $#$holes by nature. We all have to make/earn a living!