Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

Third Gen Resource

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Firebird Formula
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Third Gen Resource

Well.. I've seen my share of positive and negative feedback about Roy and Stacie and TGR.... now I add my own.

Recently purchased a-pillars and a headliner from Roy...

Service was good, product was good, shipping was a little slow... All in all Roy did me well and I will give him my business again!

Stacie will rip your head off if your not careful though!
Old 04-29-2002, 08:50 PM

I have bought from Roy and had no problems. I just saw him at Carlisle show for the first time last week and he seems cool to me. He remembered my name and what I bought.
Old 05-05-2002, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by 89blackbird
I have bought from Roy and had no problems. I just saw him at Carlisle show for the first time last week and he seems cool to me. He remembered my name and what I bought.
I've not bought anything from them, but i did run into these folks in pennsylvania last week while traveling from FL to NY on my way out of a Comfort inn. I had my hood up doing my morning oil/coolant level check, and they noticed me, stopped by to make sure i wasn't broke down or something... I thought it was very nice of them to ask if i was ok. Thanks Guys,

Hellraiser
Old 05-11-2002, 10:25 PM

Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 5.7liter v8 (LT1 carb)
Transmission: th-350 rebuilt with a 2400-2800 stall
Are these people who work for or run third Gen resource? So far that place has been the cheapest to find the hood i want for my 88 im rebuilding. Its the ASCD after market big block. I saw it for 375.00 plus 50-75 shipping.. Anywhere else cheaper or are they good to deal with?
Old 05-12-2002, 10:28 AM

I had no problems when I purchased seats from them. Roy seems to care about his company.However it will be impossible for him to keep everybody happy.
Old 05-13-2002, 12:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 2007 Saturn Sky Redline
Engine: 2.0 turbo
Transmission: m5
Axle/Gears: 3.91 LSD
I've had both a good and bad experience with TGR and all I got to say is DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ORDER ONLINE. That said, their phone service is quite good, I got what I needed in a very quick manner and was satisfied with the product. However they managed to completely screw up the order that I placed online a few months ago as they don't really use specific enough descriptions on their part numbers they use themselves. I did eventually get it straightened out though, at my cost unfortunately. I'll probably deal with them again because they have good prices and are usually reliable
Old 05-13-2002, 12:43 PM

Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 5.7liter v8 (LT1 carb)
Transmission: th-350 rebuilt with a 2400-2800 stall
oh really

Oh really? well thanks I usually order most of my stuff online.. But I'll make sure to call them to order my hood.. *** I cant wait.. thanks
Old 05-16-2002, 08:11 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23
Hi,

Its funny cuz TGR and Hawks sell stuff for like 3 times what I get locally..

I've heard good things about them tho, so I guess thats what matters. And if I had the patience to ship things out, I'd have my logo on this site too.

-- Joe
Old 05-19-2002, 02:18 AM

Car: 92 Z, 91 Formula, 04 CTS, 01 Tahoe
Engine: 355 forged 4 bolt, SuperRam, 58mm t
Transmission: T5, looking for t-56
When I ordered my SS hood,it took almost two months before I got it.It suppossedly shipped the day after I placed my order.I called after a week,and Stacy said they got snowed-in,so there were no shipping trucks going anywhere.Then I called another week later and she said the hood was damaged in shipping,so they are trying to get another out to me. Three weeks after my order,no hood.And each time I called,I was promised to have it in 2-3 days. Then about 5-6 weeks later,I still had no hood.I called and TGR said that the hoods are on backorder from ASCD,which is where the hoods are shipped from after TGR places an order. I called ASCD,talked to the main guy in charge over there,and they said they never got an order from TGR to ship me a hood. The guy(I can't remember his name) called over to TGR to verify I had an order placed, and had me a hood shipped the very next day and at my door 2 days later as promised by ASCD.
Old 05-21-2002, 03:40 PM
Banned

Originally posted by RSpeed
When I ordered my SS hood,it took almost two months before I got it.It suppossedly shipped the day after I placed my order.I called after a week,and Stacy said they got snowed-in,so there were no shipping trucks going anywhere.Then I called another week later and she said the hood was damaged in shipping,so they are trying to get another out to me. Three weeks after my order,no hood.And each time I called,I was promised to have it in 2-3 days. Then about 5-6 weeks later,I still had no hood.I called and TGR said that the hoods are on backorder from ASCD,which is where the hoods are shipped from after TGR places an order. I called ASCD,talked to the main guy in charge over there,and they said they never got an order from TGR to ship me a hood. The guy(I can't remember his name) called over to TGR to verify I had an order placed, and had me a hood shipped the very next day and at my door 2 days later as promised by ASCD.
That shows the company is bad customer service... Man what morons. To give the customer the run around, then to be caught flat out lying... These peps will never get my $$$.
Old 05-21-2002, 08:45 PM
KiLLJ0Y

i ordered a used center console from TGR VIA email. Roy called me at home 3 days later and asked me what color carpet, i said black.. he said he had one in black, but the carpet is messy. Then he said not to worry about it, he'll take care of it. 8 days later my console arrives... i take it out.. and it had BRAND NEW black carpet on it!!!! Nice guy.. order very well handled.. they will keep getting my buisness.
Old 05-26-2002, 09:25 PM

I know Roy personally, and he does care about his business. We were talking about this very subject last weekend while I was at his shop picking up a ASCD hood for my Formula (I paid $325 for it). Dont ask you wont get it that cheap. The honest truth is hes overwhelmed, and isnt physically able to handle each order personally. He has several ppl helping him, but ppl do make mistakes, and things happen. Ive never heard of Roy flat out lieing to anyone. On a personal level I like Roy, but with any kind of business especially mail order automotive parts you cant make everyone happy all the time.
Old 05-28-2002, 05:52 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Z
Engine: 350 TPI L98 block
Transmission: 700R4
Give the guy credit

I've never ordered from TGR ( great prices though, just found a lot of what I needed a boneyard's locally ), but I would commend the guy for putting forth an effort to keep alive one of the last of the great american sports cars. I wish not to spark a debate about this, I just think he's keeping a lot of our dreams (dream cars) alive by offering options. Essentially he's one of us, bs aside, he is a 3rd gen owner lover.
Old 05-30-2002, 10:35 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by RacerXWS6
I know Roy personally, and he does care about his business. We were talking about this very subject last weekend while I was at his shop picking up a ASCD hood for my Formula (I paid $325 for it). Dont ask you wont get it that cheap. The honest truth is hes overwhelmed, and isnt physically able to handle each order personally.
Any small business owner knows that's bullsh!t. It's not the customer's duty to suck it up, because you're too cheap to hire new people, or too dumb to hire the right ones.

Why does Roy have to answer all the orders himself? When a retailer orders a bunch of parts from Holley, I can guarantee that its not Jeff King (Holley's Prez), on the phone, taking the order.
Obviously, Holley and TGR aren't the same thing, but it's all in the degrees.

I once emailed Roy about a set of used 305 heads that I needed badly. After waiting a few days, I started looking elsewhere. Before Roy responded, I had found, paid for, and recieved a pair of heads from sombody else.

That's poor business practice to lose that much money because you're busy, and then to turn around and blame the customers for shopping at your store.
Old 05-30-2002, 06:34 PM

Like you said Holley and TGR are not in the same category. Roy has 3-4 ppl working for him on a part time basis. Even when we email one another back and forth bsing it takes 2-3 days for him to respond to that email. The honest truth is hes overwhelmed with orders, and Im not sure with the economy the way it is he can afford to hire anyone else. I dont know details of his business. Not my place to ask. All I know is for what ever reason hes having a tough time right now keeping up with the demands of his business. Im not here to defend him or TGR. All Im saying is hes real busy, and as a person hes a good guy... bottomline. Judgeing on the amount of business he does, and the amount of parts I see moving out of TGR hes not hurting that you bought a set of heads elsewhere.
Old 05-30-2002, 07:26 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by RacerXWS6
The honest truth is hes overwhelmed with orders, and Im not sure with the economy the way it is he can afford to hire anyone else.
I didn't realize that TGR was a blue-chip stock.

I'm sure he is a good guy, just a poor businessman if he's got more business than he can handle. People would KILL to have more business than they can handle, and this guy throws the extra business out the window, rather than dealing with the problem.
Old 05-30-2002, 07:39 PM

What you have to remember is Roy is one of us first... a car guy/thirdgen owner. His business started out of that. It has grown faster than he ever thought it would. Maybe that makes him a bad business man, but you cant argue with the money he makes. I mean everyone of us who purchased something from him as contributed in a small way to that LS1/6spd powered 91 Z28 vert he has. Which Ive seen, and oh my ***.... :hail:
Old 06-03-2002, 06:01 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23
Thats how everyone in this industry started out silly..
Old 06-03-2002, 08:17 PM

I too have meet Roy and he seems like a good guy to me. When ever a small company starts out it has growing pains to deal with.If where easy everyone would do it. Bottom line Roy is a car guy who uses his part time company to help him with his hobby. If any company can keep 95 out of a 100 people happy they are doing well. Another thing to remember is used parts are just that used. If anyone is in such a hurry that they must have there parts that fast I say make them pay for it. If you can't sleep nights because you have to wait an extra few days or a week to get something all I can say is get a life! I waited months to find a set of door panels for my car. I have them now and I am very happy about it.
Old 06-03-2002, 08:39 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 89blackbird
Another thing to remember is used parts are just that used. If anyone is in such a hurry that they must have there parts that fast I say make them pay for it. If you can't sleep nights because you have to wait an extra few days or a week to get something all I can say is get a life! I waited months to find a set of door panels for my car. I have them now and I am very happy about it.
Wow, thank you, sir.

I will run right out and get a life because I'd like to buy parts, and have them arrive, all in the same season.

Old 06-04-2002, 01:23 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1991 FORMULA
Engine: ZZ4 + LT4 HT CAM 430HP
Transmission: 700-R4 COMING T56
Axle/Gears: 9" 4.56's (COMING)
roy is ok!!!!!!

back when i got my hood i drove 6 hours from here to roy's shop thinking he had one there... my mistake.. since i drove so far roy paid to have my holes in the front and back of the hood cut out and that was a 25- 50$ extra then... he even sold me a few things dirt cheap also while i was there that way i didn't walk away empty handed.. to me roy is a real good person and a good friend to me now, and like a few said above, he can't handle it all by himself... i promise you if you think you had a bad experiance with them, give them another try, i garuntee you will be glad you did!!
Old 06-04-2002, 05:12 PM

I didn't know there was a season on third gens. Boy I am behind the times. I love my car all year.
Old 06-18-2002, 08:46 AM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS Vert
Engine: 305 (L03)
Transmission: 700 R4
I work in Charlotte and have gone up to Roy's a few times and bought stuff off him and even sold things to him. He is a nice guy and yes he is overwhelmed. He has been good with me, Stacey pissed me off once though.. had to get a proportioning valve but she was to worried about getting out of the office to go racing than to deal with me. But Roy is a good guy, just going crazy at the success of his business. Hawks is good too, they are related somehow.. someone told me the owner is Stacey's cousin or something not quite sure but I have had good service from both!

Chris Valk
1991 Camaro RS Convertible
305 auto Zexel-Torsion Posi Rear from a '99 Z w/ 3.23 gears 4 wheel disk brakes Complete energy suspension bushings (front and rear) KYB GR-2 shocks and struts

1989 Camaro RS T-tops
305 5-speed 3.73 posi rear Checkerboard tailights
Iroc wheels black with SS stripes in metalflake red
Old 06-20-2002, 01:10 PM

well i just ordered my ram air hood today for my 86 from hawks and he seemed friendly and did tell me that it will be around 5-6 weeks before i recieve it, all well its better for him to tell me the truth than to lie and say 2 weeks.