Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

Xtronics and the pocket programmer 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xtronics and the pocket programmer 2

Let me say that I use that I use chip burners often for both work and play. I use them more than the average joe and have been dealing with electronics including eproms professionally for 6 years.

In my time I've gone threw 3 pocket programmers. they get off to where they will not do anything but read back A5 or fail to see the device all together. Right now I have 2 that just eat power supplies.. they will turn a power supply hot enough to burn someone in a few seconds.

I called Xtronics today and spoke with Carl about the issues I was having.. I went open minded looking for some help like maybe ... replace this chip, check voltage here, we will exchange one out etc.. Instead I was accused of touching parts and static discharge was the problem and it was my fault. He wouldn't offer a touch of assistance for self diagnostic and instead insisted on me sending the unit back so they can charge me again to refurbish the unit.

Now, let me skip on to say that I have a programmer and 2 emulators from another company (remain nameless to prevent pitting one against the other).. I've NEVER had that programmer fail. I'm on the same one that I got a few years back and one of first in production. I've had issues during beta on the emulators but those issues where quickly resolved and I was never charged a dime. Instead that company learned from what I was breaking and fine tweaked the product.

The only problem is the other programmer doesn't do chips I often need at work.

I feel cheated by Xtronics.. there is no excuse for me having to pay for my 4th programmer in 6 years. I think the support there is almost offending as he tries to charge you for "updated software" and only offers support for 1 year. I also feel like Xtronics makes a sub par piece of equipment which maybe OK for personal use but definitely not rugged enough for much more than that.

To add insult to injury.. the best Xtronics would do for me is offer me free shipping on my 4th burner.

I run a buisness myself and I understand that some customers can be a pain the butt.. I've tried my hardest not to. I'm just looking for a trade out, or at least a 4th burner at cost instead of the $179 list price. In my opinion they are putting making $$ well infront of taking customers who I would have considered myself as loyal at least up until he jerked me around on the phone today.

If anyone knows of any reliable programmers that can confortably handle 21V eproms please let me know. My "other company" burner handles everything nicely automotive and I don't have to worry about it leaving me hi and dry..
Old 04-27-2006, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sup Alvin, I did most of my tuning with you, glad to see you're still around. Did a little mechanical tweaking myself (FP, timing, etc) to fine tune it and the thing runs awesome.

Anyway, sucks to hear your having those problems.....u still tuning on these raggedy *** turd-gens???? i thought u were done with them
Old 05-25-2006, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
I've had my share of problems but my programmer (original) has only needed too be repaired once when I hooked up the power polarity wrong. He uses what I consider a non-standard polarity where the pin is ground and the body is positive. To program from within a car I had bought a RadioShack 9v cig adaptor that had the ability to switch the polarity and add different "tips". Accidently I hooked it up backwards and melted a transistor right off the board and it started to melt the plastic case! I sent it to them thinking I was going to get it upgraded to the pp2 but with some tricky wording it was only the pp2 SOFTWARE compatibility I was getting . In the end, I haven't used my pp in over a year. The friend that I was using it for is now using flash/eeproms so it's useless to me. Craig's burn1 is only 1 cable. I love using it although most of the time I'm using his autoprom (usb version) which is just as good only more cables and bulk.
Your best bet is to stop using the 21v eproms and go to a different brand with similar timing. Get an adaptor from Craig and forget about all that frustration with UV lights .
<u>DIY Fuel-Injection Tools:</u><br>Created by an EFI enthusiast for EFI enthusiasts like you! : Moates.Net
Old 05-25-2006, 05:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: a car being parted out
Engine: blown up
Transmission: in peices
I have used USTR.net eprommer 5 for years no issues...

dunno if it will work for you buy just a name thrown out for ya.