Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

Complaint Zone

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: A/T
Complaint Zone

I love this forum. I find a lot of good and useful information that has helped me a lot, and other that has just been fun and entertaining. But I've got one major thing that is driving me nuts. Too many people think either stuff should be free (only a slight exaggeration) or that every vendor/jy/dealer/shop is trying to screw them. I think everyone should expect quality in what they buy--when we buy something, we want it to look good, work right, and fit properly. Most of the people on this board do at least some of their own work on their cars, and a lot of you do everything from soup to nuts. But some of you have unreal expectations of what things should cost. I'm not suggesting you shouldn't be cautious, or that there aren't dishonest vendors and shops. But before you complain next time about whatever widget you're purchasing being totally out of line, remember that there is some guy who built it (could you have?), pulled it, shipped it, not to mention the guys at the actual counter you had to deal with (no matter what kind of stooge he/she is). All those people have to be paid a wage they can live on and maybe support families (just like you). Most probably are paid some sort of health care. Remember, there is no free lunch.
I work at a "Stealership," and I deal with shade tree mechanics all the time. Some of you guys are great--you know what it is you want, what system it is part of, what its called, etc. and you let me do my job and find it for you. Others come in and have already decided I'm an idiot before they cross the threshhold of the store, try to tell me my job, and why I should be fired, nevermind that you can't even describe what you are looking for.

So here's my rules for talking to your friendly partsman/vendor/store/jy:
1. Be patient. We aren't trying to ignore you. We know you're in a hurry, that you need the part yesterday and your car is laying strewn all across your front yard. Realize that my most important customer is the one right in front of me--or on the phone, and they deserve my very best just like you will expect from me when its your turn.
2. remember, you probably know your car better than the counterman does because you work on it all the time. But be willing to listen to his advice, as he probably knows similar cars in general and knows their faults, common ailments, and other things that might help you. For GM specifically, remember many of the cars had very similar systems and thus some problems were common to several models.
3. If you don't like the price, don't throw a fit. Most likely the guy at the counter has no control over the price. Having a tantrum or comments like "I didn't want to buy the whole car" aren't going to improve your experience. You have choices, so say thanks but no thanks and continue shopping. If you don't have a choice, understand that point.
4. Be nice. It helps. We deal with unhappy, crabby people all day. People come in angry because they are frustrated. We know if you're coming to see us its not because your car is working right.
5. make a call. Don't wait until you are frustrated to call. If a part seems to be taking too long to come in, call and see if they have reasons. If you are dealing with a dealership, understand GM's undergoing a LOT of changes right now, and it has greatly affected their supply chain. And don't immediately assume the reasons they give you are bogus. Weird crap happens with shipping. Also, phone contact is better than e-mail in general. Sometimes we gather from how you describe something what it is. We also can detect your urgency better. E-mail is easy to ignore (and delete).
6. Expect professionalism. Good countermen will help you as much as possible. They want to keep you as a customer. If they don't, just go somewhere else.
7. Don't haggle--especially at the dealership. Haggle over buying a car all you want. But the prices at the parts counter are what they are, just like the grocery store, hardware, and most every other retail store in the country. For some reason we have it in our heads that since we haggle over the price of the car that the price of parts are also negotiable.
8. Do ask about warranties and return policies. It's up to you to know whether parts are returnable, what condition they need to be in, if they incur a restock fee, if you need a receipt, etc.
9. Shoot the breeze. Counterguys/gals like cars, and we like to talk about them or we wouldn't do what we do. Got something cool you are doing? Let us know and/or see. Be respectful of other customers, but feel free to chat with us.
10. Remember, the customer is always right--until they aren't. Be respectful and we will do whatever we can to help you.

Please note, this isn't pointed at any particular person or group, just something I've noticed while cruising the boards.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 (sold)
yeah i go into the dealer knowing their prices are crazy. i just accept it. its kind of funny how sometimes they want $200 for something that isnt much more than a piece of plastic

good post though
Old 10-22-2006, 01:00 PM

Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: Pro 5.0 shifted T56
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73 posi
Very well worded Vaneat, i understand completely where you are coming from as i work in retail myself (paintball shop) and it is very frustrating when customers assume youre an idiot and they know everything. (most times i just tell them to go **** themselves if they are being rude to me, after all were the only paintball shop in town and if they want their gun fixed then they will have to deal with me in a nice manner) but then again its a small family owned buisness, and i dont have to deal with the rules/regulations of a large corporation.

anyway, just wanted to let you know that

Last edited by MetalliCamaroRS; 10-28-2006 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Please don't try to get around word filters.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:01 PM
On Probation

Car: 2002 Formula
Engine: 5.7 LS1
Complaint zone? Anyone complain about that annoying banner on this site yet. I try to navigate and it is right there covering half the page. I understand cost and advertising but that is a pain in the neck.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:38 PM

Car: 1984 Camaro Z28
Engine: Roller 350
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: built ten bolt 3.73's
Originally Posted by Vaneat-91RS
7. Don't haggle--especially at the dealership. Haggle over buying a car all you want. But the prices at the parts counter are what they are, just like the grocery store, hardware, and most every other retail store in the country. For some reason we have it in our heads that since we haggle over the price of the car that the price of parts are also negotiable.
Hahaha, I work in the third largest firearms store in california as a supervisor. Along these lines, everyday I always get several customer that try to haggle. I have grown so sick of it I just started saying "Does the price have a question mark after it? If not then that is not negotiable." If part of your industry haggles in prices, then every joe off the street thinks everything can be talked down.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:56 PM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's
Originally Posted by SmallTires
If part of your industry haggles in prices, then every joe off the street thinks everything can be talked down.
I think that that's true. As a consequence, how does a customer know what the best price is unless he/she asks? For example, I don't negociate a price at my local dealership because I know the price is pretty much established (though I get a discount), but that's not the case at, say BestBuy, where the price advertised certainly isn't the lowest price--a customer either asks for the best price or pays the advertised price. Like most consumers, I want to save money whenever I can. If there's any doubt, I ask.

Vaneat, nicely done.

JamesC

Last edited by JamesC; 10-23-2006 at 05:37 AM.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:27 AM

Car: 1989 Pontiac trans-am
Engine: building a 400
Transmission: 700r4
The price for GM parts is not fixed. If I come in off the street and want a part I get charged full retail. Something they sell a to a shop for 300 I have to pay 450 for. Some times the parts guys gives me the discount and I always go back when I need some thing else. I'm happy to pay more for some thing that is made in the USA so some guy can get a good wage and have health ins, but if they can sell it to the the guy in front of me thats in a blue shirt with his name on it for 300 then I shouldn't have to pay 450. By the way I found a AC delco dealer hear in AZ the would sell me parts at wholsale and I was in heaven I got lots of parts for my T/A cause I knew it was to good to last.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: LS1 (not stock...)
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73
I was a manager at Autozone for 3 years. Talk about having to deal with some messed up customer. The worst was late at night. We were opened til 10 most of the time. You get those guys who had to work a long day...already had a few beers...and they try to take it out on you.

One thing that always made me mad... We would ship firestone a set of brakes for a discounted price. Say $14.99..normallly $24.99. They turn around and sell it to you for $55.00!!! They are the "stealarships"...

I like the dealerships mostly because they can get the parts next day. Even though Im paying alittle more for it. Gmpartsdirect has good prices...yes... But its a pain to order sometimes, you have to wait, and pay shipping...and if its wrong, now what? YOu have to go through the hassle of sendign it back etc etc. At the dealer, if its wrong, you tell them, they take it back, done deal. That added convience is worth the extra $$ in most cases.

Last thing...and this might make me seem like a jerk. But ex-part salesman will probably understand. Right before my last couple of weeks...I stopped caring as much. haha. I had a new job, and I was just there to help them out since I was leavign them short handed. Well...the ignorant customers didnt get to talk to "understanding, customer oriented" justin. They got I dont really care if you call corporate or if you stomp out saying you are going to advance justin. haha. It felt pretty good on a couple of occasions.

Justin
Old 10-27-2006, 11:28 AM

Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: Pro 5.0 shifted T56
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73 posi
lol the best thing that happened to me was when a pissed off cust said they wanted to see the manager. i looked at him and i was like "well he doesnt want to see you!" they guy went bright red and stormed out. it was great
Old 10-27-2006, 08:05 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87IROC, 740iBMW, 328iBMW, 86GMC
Engine: 5.7, 4.4LV8, 2.8, 6.0
Transmission: Manuals & Auto's
Axle/Gears: 3.27, 3.42
Three years ago I walked into my local GM dealership and went to the parts department, sat down and took out my notebook. I kindly explained to the gentlemen working there that I was about to start my IROC restoration project. Could they help me? The result, to this day I am able to purchase all of my new GM parts at wholesale prices. Sometimes however, the part may be discontinued or available from other sources, including AZ. For the most common items, the parts professionals at GM usually advise to consider making selectons with their competitor. Unless of course it's a warranty, or GM specific item. Who you choose to do business with is after all up to you.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:12 PM
TGO Supporter

Location: Avatar: My 34' 1989 Scarab III w/ twin 454's (502's Started!)
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Wellcraft Scarab III
Engine: Twin 454's
Axle/Gears: Twin Mercruiser Bravo I's
The initial post was very good, the rest is pretty much the same old same old and only serves to detract from the original intent. I gotta lock it.

Questions, comments...PM. Thanks.