Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

Autozone good.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am and 2009 Jeep Patriot
Engine: 305 Tpi
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Autozone good.

Just ordered some parts from Autozone shipped to my parents place in Florida. I'm really impressed with their customer service and speedy delivery. I wish we had them in Canada, we have nothing like it up here.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:08 PM

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Car: 91 z28
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: t5
Axle/Gears: lt1 10 bolt 3.23
Re: Autozone good.

c'mon...we've got part source and canadian tire! you don't like paying triple the price for the same parts? lol!

you gotta watch the quality of a lot of stuff you buy at the mcparts stores. they typically only sell bottom of the line stuff. the lifetime warranty they offer doesn't mean you're getting a quality part, just that they'll give you another if it fails. my truck trashed a set of lifetime warranty sway bar links from az in under a month. the employees at the auto zone agreed with me that the links were pathetic, and gave me my money back.

i like rock auto a lot, i turned to them for some quality sway bar links that are still in the truck. my local car quest in canada gives me jobber pricing, and i usually can't beat their prices ever on pads and rotors anywhere else... unless rock auto has a wholesaler clearance. or raybestos has a mail in rebate.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:01 PM

Car: 1987 Trans Am and 2009 Jeep Patriot
Engine: 305 Tpi
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Haha I had too many problems at crappy tire, I guess it's called that for a reason. Part source and Napa counter guys are great but the prices man! You're right, valve seals and gaskets are triple the price.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10 bolt

Auto Zone SUCKS, you must have horrible parts houses in Canada.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:19 PM

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: 355 tpi
Transmission: 5 speed

I'm glad you have such good luck with Autozone. Here around me You can't get good service from them and Anyone I've talked to only uses them as a last resort. And as for the warranty, good luck with that , They don't always honor it. keep the reciept. Or never ever change your phone # and forget the one you had. I will never shop there, sorry to say they are just around the corner. I'd walk 10 miles if I had to just so I would not buy from them.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:45 PM

Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I have to admit Autozone does truely suck for our Third gens, at least for the 5.7's specifically. Every time i've gone in looking for a part they end up not having the item i need in stock, or its a 5.0 part that they say "will work with the 5.7". I just end up going to O'reilly's. they have the part I need 95% of the time.
Both stores need to pay attention to who they hire though, theres some real idiots that know absolutely Nothing.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:40 PM

Car: 84 Z28, '15 Colorado
Engine: L69
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Originally Posted by MAC_87
I have to admit Autozone does truely suck for our Third gens, at least for the 5.7's specifically. Every time i've gone in looking for a part they end up not having the item i need in stock, or its a 5.0 part that they say "will work with the 5.7". I just end up going to O'reilly's. they have the part I need 95% of the time.
Both stores need to pay attention to who they hire though, theres some real idiots that know absolutely Nothing.
You have to remember that most people that work at auto places are just regular people who are uneducated regarding cars.

With that said, Autozone/Oreilly/NAPA are great places to get the little stuff, whether that be the little pieces that break or the little parts regarding working on a car. It's impossible for these companies to cater to all of OUR needs; just remember that.

Here in Las Vegas there is a great Autozone. The store itself is normal, but it has great and knowledgeable employees.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 camaro rs convertable
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 7.5"3.42 gears forth gen 2000 camar

i had a duralast starter on a ford.it got so it wouldn't turn the engine.autozone hooked it up and of course it turned well not turning an engine.they refused to replace it.i had to buy a new starter somewhere else.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:57 AM

I've ordered parts from their web site twice. Both times it took them a few days to ship, but no big complaints. Their web site is somewhat glitchy on my browser because I restrict scripts, but it's more usable than NAPA's.
My last AutoZone web order was for a hub bearing assembly that included the wrong seal. The seal was also loose in the box where the hub could damage it. While I wish they had checked it, the inside of that box was really Timken's screwup, not AutoZone's.

I haven't had much in-store experience with them in recent years because they aren't in the neighborhood. I don't see much difference between retail part stores. O'Reilly, NAPA, AutoZone, they're all the same thing. The only big difference I see is if any of the local employees annoy you.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:28 AM

Car: 1992 Rally Sport

Originally Posted by MAC_87
Oh, you have no idea...

I work at O'Reilly, and actually today I got in an argument with one of my coworkers about how to test a battery... She INSISTED that you had to test it with the car running.

As for Advance and Autozone... I can't even count how many times they've called down to us and we've bailed them out
Old 04-21-2012, 01:41 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T5

Originally Posted by T/Aperformance
I'm glad you have such good luck with Autozone. Here around me You can't get good service from them and Anyone I've talked to only uses them as a last resort. And as for the warranty, good luck with that , They don't always honor it. keep the reciept. Or never ever change your phone # and forget the one you had. I will never shop there, sorry to say they are just around the corner. I'd walk 10 miles if I had to just so I would not buy from them.
I've never had any problems getting replacement parts under warranty.

One thing people never understand. The replacement parts you buy from Napa, Autozone, Advance and O'Reilly's are made by the same companies. Just a few companies are around to do the work all they do is re-brand the parts. It's not like they have their own shops redoing parts.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:33 PM

Engine: 355 Super Charged
Transmission: B&M Streetfighter
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 342

I prefer to use my local NAPA, but they close on Sunday's, I only thing I hate at Autozone is they hire people with no car knowledge. If it is not in the computer they are clueless as to what you need, take an exhust doughnut, I had the Y-pipe with me and he looked at me like "we don't sell doughnuts here".

Went to Napa on Monday and had the 2 in my hand in three minutes, this is why I prefrer to use them.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 IROC Z28
Engine: 357 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi

I'm on my third LT1 starter from Autozone "lifetime warranty". They're giving me back my money and going to O'Reilly's for my next try.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:53 AM

Car: 1988 Firbird formula 350
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Nine Bolt

I've bought a few things from Auto Zone for my Formula 350 but I find that Oreilly's or Advanced generally have more of the correct parts for the 5.7L engines. If you ask, they sometimes have the A/C Delco replacement part, but it's usually more expensive than their house brand. I don't think much of the quality of most of the "Duralast" parts that I've bought in the past for my other cars. I try to find OEM branded replacement parts when I can for my vehicles.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:26 AM

Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: TPI 350
Axle/Gears: 3:27's

Autozone sucks !!! They couldn't even sell me the right LIGHTBULB for my car !!! If they don't carry them then they should just say so instead of trying to sell me some bullsh*t that's never gonna work.... Some real dumb asses in there... Too many problems with them !!!!!!
Old 08-21-2013, 09:31 AM

Car: 86 Trans Am
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 2.77

Originally Posted by MotorMouth
I've never had any problems getting replacement parts under warranty.

One thing people never understand. The replacement parts you buy from Napa, Autozone, Advance and O'Reilly's are made by the same companies. Just a few companies are around to do the work all they do is re-brand the parts. It's not like they have their own shops redoing parts.

That is so true. Its sad alot of people dont realize that autozones duralast brand is the exact same part as oreillys master pro brand etc etc. There are not alot of plants that manufacture car parts anymore. Most parts companys contract out to the same plant to make parts. The parts store house brands are usually the exact same part anywhere you go. As for autozone they are pretty good around me. When I say pretty good I mean they dont try to argue with you about parts for an engine they have never even seen. I give Rock Auto a good A+. The only complaint I hear about is when people order the wrong part. But thats all on them.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

There used to be some decent employees at the Autozone across town but that all seemed to change when they moved. Bad neighborhood too.
The Orileys I've been going to has a very car smart guy working there that I have befriended so that helps.
Even so I always find the part I'm looking for on there web site first and always call about having it in stock before I leave.
Orileys also seems to offer more than just their house brand on many items.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 08-21-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 84 Trans Am, 84 Fiero, 86 944
Engine: 5.0, 2.5, 2.5
Transmission: 5spd

you know the problem with autozone is money, its all the corporate office cares about, it slides in the ruse of customer service first, and everyone wants every counterman to be a damn technician, well i'll tellya what for what i do at work getting paid 8.10 an hour is ****ing criminal, if i did it at a dealership or a shop, i'd make 2 dollars more an hour minimum and not deal with half as many "i need brake shoes for the front of my 2015 dodge silverado, and its blue" honestly how do i work with that customer? how do i figure out what he really needs for what ya feel my pain? to everyone who complains, try it, try it for a week and see how bad it is before you scream and yell about how autozone sucks
Old 08-22-2013, 12:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

Originally Posted by Ron U.S.M.C.
There used to be some decent employees at the Autozone across town but that all seemed to change when they moved. Bad neighborhood too.
I should have been a little clearer when I made that statement.

I used to walk in and have one or two of the employees say hi Ron with a smile. The guys just seemed up beat and in good moods. When they made the change/move they removed the manager and from what I could tell every one for that matter. The way the new guys worked was efficient I’m sure but they had **** pour attitudes . I found out why when I met the Manager. The way he talked to me was with a "better than thou" attitude and really just a mean temperament... It must have affected the other employees.

I guess I was just used to a smile.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 08-22-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:04 AM

Car: 86 Iroc-Z28
Engine: 5.3
Transmission: 4l60

Originally Posted by Hoff701
Oh, you have no idea...

I work at O'Reilly, and actually today I got in an argument with one of my coworkers about how to test a battery... She INSISTED that you had to test it with the car running.

As for Advance and Autozone... I can't even count how many times they've called down to us and we've bailed them out
Ive never needed to call anywhere else maybe just my luck or that we carry a lot more or different things than the autozone around you.

Originally Posted by sweetmelissa
Autozone sucks !!! They couldn't even sell me the right LIGHTBULB for my car !!! If they don't carry them then they should just say so instead of trying to sell me some bullsh*t that's never gonna work.... Some real dumb asses in there... Too many problems with them !!!!!!
One of the things that is not the company as a whole rather its the employee's fault if they dont know what there doing they shouldnt be there.

Originally Posted by kmcn47
you know the problem with autozone is money, its all the corporate office cares about, it slides in the ruse of customer service first, and everyone wants every counterman to be a damn technician, well i'll tellya what for what i do at work getting paid 8.10 an hour is ****ing criminal, if i did it at a dealership or a shop, i'd make 2 dollars more an hour minimum and not deal with half as many "i need brake shoes for the front of my 2015 dodge silverado, and its blue" honestly how do i work with that customer? how do i figure out what he really needs for what ya feel my pain? to everyone who complains, try it, try it for a week and see how bad it is before you scream and yell about how autozone sucks
I can agree with the pay but honestly you think about how much a dealership charges for service parts let alone the cars they sell, they can afford to pay you that. As for autozone its more of parts are what we sell and only that yes that is low but would you rather work at burgerking or mcdonalds? I used to work at subway and like this job so much more, i'm a regular red shirt and work with quite a bit of knowledgeable people.

In no way am I defending all autozones just think it matters on where you go kind of like macco.