Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

Beware Autozone "lifetime warranty"!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 02:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover
Re: Beware Autozone "lifetime warranty"!

I have shopped at AutoZone for their starters. The ones I have bought have the Limited Lifetime Warrantee. When they went out they replaced it, no problem.
I have gotten some "attitude" from guy at this particular one so other than that I don't shop there.

I’ve been giving my business to Summit Racing for performance parts. Also O'Reillys because of their great customer service and since they have gone over to the BWD Select for their premium house brand I buy all of my electrical/electronic stock replacement parts there.

I did go to Napa a few times to buy there Ultimate Premium rotors and such.

I finally figured out that wrapping a starter completely with a Thermal blanket including the front (that most starter wrap designs don't have) will extend the life tremendously.
Heat soak was killing them.
Mine is now 5 years old and still kicking.

If you have an O'Reillys Auto Parts store near you don't be afraid to use the premium house brand labeled B.W.D. Select for stock replacement electronics/electrical parts.

BWD is Borg Warner Division and is actually made by Standard Motor Products.
Check out there site including "Our Brands"
and the video under the "Facilities" option.

= http://www.smpcorp.com/en/

The secret behind dealing with O'Reilly's or really any chain store is to do your shopping on their web page first. Then take that # in with you.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 11-20-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 389 Likes on 332 Posts
Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears

Originally Posted by greenyone
I use Amazon since I'm a "prime" member. Just about everything is at my door in 2 days. They ask no questions on returns. Just give them a reasonable explanation to why you need to return an item and they give you a return shipping label. The prices are competitive with Rock Auto or any other internet auto parts sales sites that sell quality parts. You just have to know your part numbers since Amazon doesn't have a good parts look-up utility for specific applications on their site. And like I previously mentioned...the shipping is so darn fast if you are a Prime member. I've ordered parts on a Friday morning and had them at my front door on Saturday.
Amazon Prime, Rockauto, Jegs or NAPA for me. Interestingly Autozone usually has the best price on Felpro, Melling or Victor Reinz and I am not afraid to pickup parts like that from them.

I just picked up AC Delco upper and lower radiator and bypass hose on my 97 Express van for under $22.00 shipped from Rockauto. They were on closeout with a 30 day warranty but nobody warrants hoses long anyway.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry guys but I gotta step in here as I work for the company. I will say that in my store at least, returns are a no issue and we give money back asking as we can find it under warantee. We can even force it through then sometimes. But something to also remember is the additude you bring to the counter also drasticly determines what you get out of us. If you go in ranting and raving like you are on here, I wouldn't give you money back either. I'd do the exact same thing. But if you came in calm and not being an *** to me at least and insulting me or my other employees, you would get your money back in under 3 minutes. Like I said. It all depends on what you take to the counter. Some of us know what were doing and aren't just parts monkeys and have been in the same situation.
So let me get this right...Autozones policy is to give a return back for parts with Lifetime warranty, you being a MGR; because the guys a little P O'd you're going to not refund their money? I don't think Autozone corp would like to hear MGR's just doing what they want. In case you've forgotten, being a MGR; the customer is always right. Even though they're not being personable to you that doesn't give you the right to change the company your employed by policies. If I was your district MGR you'd be looking for a new job. To go on a site which I've seen Autozone ads on here and to say this...you're not to bright.

I do not buy parts at Autozone because they're cheap and garbage, who cares if they'll replace them or give you your money back, just what I want to do take apart a distributor 3 or 4 times or a waterpump.
Disgusting...
Old 11-26-2014, 08:18 PM

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird Convertible
Engine: 5.7 L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt Posi

probably not a good idea to buy parts from auto zone... they are cheap for a reason...
Old 11-30-2014, 12:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 Chevy Iroc-Z28
Engine: 1989 TPI 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: stock 10 bolt with 2.73 gears

Just replaced a brand new autozone alternator (3 months old) in my truck. The diodes and voltage regulator were already failing. Warrenty wasn't an issue, was covered and had no major issues. Problem is, the new one isn't holding up under severe load, just like the last one was doing.

Sure its a 15 min job on the truck to replace the alternator but having to do it every couple months...
Old 11-30-2014, 10:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi

I have never had an issue because every time I go there to get a part they never have what I need. Apparently my 1993 k1500 Suburban is super rare. So rare in fact the last time I went to Auto Zone, the same one 86_irocz-28 works at lol, they couldn't come up with a radiator cap. Their inventory showed that they had three on hand, but nobody could find one of them.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:33 PM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 89 forrmula
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.55

The funny thing is they want employees to spend more time arranging planograms than maintaining inventory and helping customers with any kind of efficiency. And I used to work for them over ten years ago so I know exactly how their "corporate" system works.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1983 Pontiac Trans Am Daytona 500
Engine: Crossfire 305ci V8
Transmission: Jasper 700R4 4 speed Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip/posi

Originally Posted by formula1LE
The funny thing is they want employees to spend more time arranging planograms than maintaining inventory and helping customers with any kind of efficiency. And I used to work for them over ten years ago so I know exactly how their "corporate" system works.
The same thing at pepboys and I was a tech in the service department. I had to help them arrange the displays
Old 12-12-2014, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the person at autozone said they don't give refunds on used parts, at that point you should have just said, "exchange this defective one for another new one then" And then once they did that......pick the new one up of the counter turn to walk out and then turn back around and set it back on the counter and say, "I would like to return this brand new never installed module for a cash refund." Work their system......