Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

Spohn performance

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: 4.10
Spohn performance

Let me start off by saying I thought Spohn was a good company but with my last dealing with them they showed there true colors. I have a 86 Camaro and 90% of my suspension is Spohn. Some I bought new and some I bought used.

So i bought a used Spohn k member couple years ago and it didn't have the rack and pinion mounts so in 11/2016 I bought Spohn rack and pinion kit. In 12/2016 I received my order. In December I started to installing the mounts and had a question about the install and asked for a measurement between the two mounts, and possible a closer picture since the instruction they gave with it sucked, so after a few days Spohn called me and said there was nothing they can do to help answer my question and they only thing they can recommend is to center the rack and make it level. I said you should have the measurement from your jig you use to build the k members with the brackets on them. They once again said we can't help you. So I did what they said and luckily i had a few people who used this product help me by sending me measurements and the photos.

So now by January of 2017 I get it all weld it in and painted and start making my connections from the rack to my steering column (aftermarket lighten). So I had to get a bracket machined to hold the joints up. Now work picks up at work for a few months and I have no time to work on my car. So when work slows down and I finish all the steering stuff, set up an appointment to get my car aligned. NOTE: The whole time my car is on jack stand in the garage. The shop I have a appointment at machine breaks. So they get the machine fixed and i get another appointment. So I try and get the alignment done and my mechanic notices my tie rod on the pass side is bent.

So last week I call and Spohn said we need photos, I send them the photos over the weekend. Monday morning I get an email to call this number and ask for Dan. I call and Dan tells me I bent it and they wouldn't ship something out like that. I explain once again i haven't even drove the car it's been trailered. He still says I bent it. That they can sell me a new tie rod. I tell him I am not buying it since I didn't do it and I ask to speak to the manager. He says that's himself. Now I am pissed and once again I said I am not buying for something I didn't break. So I ask to speak to the owner. Dan said he is in the shop, and I said have him call me. Monday afternoon around 4:00 I call again speak to another guy same thing he said he knows all about my tie rod and nothing he can do and once again ask for the boss to call me. Tuesday comes still no call, Wednesday (today) I call around 4:00 ask to speak to the owner. Owner is out of his office but they forward me to
His voicemail. As of right now still no call.

Look at the pictures and you will see it wasn't from me, it was from SPOHN.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:53 AM
Supreme Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 87 iroc-z
Engine: 454
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Spohn performance

IDK how it got bent, but those coil springs sure seem to be on a crazy arc.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:08 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am

It's not the rack that's bent?
Old 06-08-2017, 01:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1986 iroc-z
Engine: 5.0 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock.

ive been around tow trucks and ran a flat bed before,ive seen bent tie rods like that many times.happens when some one is in a rush,car is to low,or its dark and cant see and the a j hook or tie down strap gets thrown around the tie rod instead of the control arm and tightened down bending the tie rod.you also have said strap laying on floor and I can see witness marks on tie rod near the bend that are not on the straight rod.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Car: 92 Lingenfelter Z28 articwhite
Engine: Aluminum 615BBC
Transmission: Th400wbrake/curri entps9" locker
Axle/Gears: 4.11/4.30/4.56

Originally Posted by amlv20
ive been around tow trucks and ran a flat bed before,ive seen bent tie rods like that many times.happens when some one is in a rush,car is to low,or its dark and cant see and the a j hook or tie down strap gets thrown around the tie rod instead of the control arm and tightened down bending the tie rod.you also have said strap laying on floor and I can see witness marks on tie rod near the bend that are not on the straight rod.
I would have ask...was the car on a rollback or trailer? on the way to the shop?
as iv seen this also
Old 06-08-2017, 07:36 PM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R

6 months?

I don't know why parts shipped to you in 2016 weren't inspected and returned 4th quarter '16. It's something you'd have noticed when welding the rack mounts.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1986 iroc-z
Engine: 5.0 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock.

Originally Posted by articwhiteZ
I would have ask...was the car on a rollback or trailer? on the way to the shop?
as iv seen this also
He said it was on a trailer
Old 06-08-2017, 11:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: LT1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.73 Ratio, Torsen LSD

Clearly bent by a strap. Posting this all over only makes OP look like an idiot.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:58 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by jakemussman
Clearly bent by a strap. Posting this all over only makes OP look like an idiot.
no it don't..hes just never seen this before...and put 2 n 2 together..

he just needs to under stand..it gets bent upward or back..if done by driving...not down...and remember it was towed...lol

Last edited by articwhiteZ; 06-09-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '87 IROC-Z
Engine: TPI 5.7
Transmission: T-56

Originally Posted by Whoboy580

So last week I call and Spohn said we need photos, I send them the photos over the weekend. Monday morning I get an email to call this number and ask for Dan. I call and Dan tells me I bent it and they wouldn't ship something out like that. I explain once again i haven't even drove the car it's been trailered. He still says I bent it. That they can sell me a new tie rod. I tell him I am not buying it since I didn't do it and I ask to speak to the manager. He says that's himself. Now I am pissed and once again I said I am not buying for something I didn't break. So I ask to speak to the owner. Dan said he is in the shop, and I said have him call me. Monday afternoon around 4:00 I call again speak to another guy same thing he said he knows all about my tie rod and nothing he can do and once again ask for the boss to call me. Tuesday comes still no call, Wednesday (today) I call around 4:00 ask to speak to the owner. Owner is out of his office but they forward me to
His voicemail. As of right now still no call.

You know business owners really hate it when you escalate it like that right? In my experience at my businesses, most escalations of this type are by people who are WRONG or LYING or trying to MANIPULATE my employees. So you can probably understand why a business owner isn't excited to get right back you and have a conversation where they tell you the same thing everyone else did. The assumption that owners are "nicer" or more willing to be manipulated to protect the business' reputation will often lead to disappointment as well. My employees are way nicer than me!

I'm not really a big Sphon guy since I don't think a lot of their jigs are very good, but remember in the future that escalation is rarely the solution.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:51 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am

Originally Posted by GCrites80s
You know business owners really hate it when you escalate it like that right? In my experience at my businesses, most escalations of this type are by people who are WRONG or LYING or trying to MANIPULATE my employees. So you can probably understand why a business owner isn't excited to get right back you and have a conversation where they tell you the same thing everyone else did. The assumption that owners are "nicer" or more willing to be manipulated to protect the business' reputation will often lead to disappointment as well. My employees are way nicer than me!

I'm not really a big Sphon guy since I don't think a lot of their jigs are very good, but remember in the future that escalation is rarely the solution.
I agree. It's usually the guys at the lower end of the ladder who don't really care about tossing a dog a bone since they believe it doesn't cost them anything.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:50 PM
Supreme Member

sphon has a rep for.. when its out the door..its your Problem..not their Problem..
but in this case..no body would bolt the parts together and not SEE or Say...think theres a Problem.... if in Fact it was like that when bolted together...so in this case..it was from a tie down...
Old 06-11-2017, 06:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

Talk to the towing company.