Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

3rd Gen Models

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 11:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro I-Roc z
Engine: 305
Transmission: Th700r4
I think i may be the only person if not the first person to own the

Thirdgen Xmods

i bought a Thirdgen on e-bay and i cut the body in half and made it fit the xmod. then i put it back together, some glue and a lil fabrication. now i ahve a fully remote control 4 wheel drive Camaro just like mine
Old 01-15-2004, 01:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 RS
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt
thats cool but this year rumor has it that you wont have to cut camaros in half because gm okd the use of several cars including the third gen z28 and trans am!
Old 01-15-2004, 04:57 PM
Supreme Member

swimster >>>>>>wow man that model u did is amazing!!!!! looks so flipping real i cant get over the interior!! and the way the tires look real. no way was that your fist job, u got some good skill!>>>wanna make me one ?loll
Old 01-15-2004, 07:28 PM

Car: 99 Subaru, 92 GMC Van, 95 Bonnie
Engine: LOTS of them
Transmission: LOTS of those too.
Thanx!

Thanks.. well, I've been building models since I was 8. don't really have much to show for it other than alot of big boxes full of old models. When I was 16, I built a 1/8 scale 79 trans am for the 5th time.. poor car.. I hate recycling models.. lol.. I still have it too.. it's been painted like 5 times.. but back then, it had EVERYTHING.. I even made the needles on the guages. everything lit up. made a pull out tape deck with a tape half in it. CB radio with a K-40 antenna, had EVERY SINGLE vaccum line and tons of wiring under the hood. It was almost perfect until I tried to learn something new. I had TONS of scratches and glue marks, etc on the windshield.. so I sanded it down and progressivly smoothed it out with finer and finer snadpaper.. well.. got to 1000 grit and figured there had to be a better way... well.. Clear laquer paint and clear plastic DO NOT mix. and couldn't replace the windshield since the kit was discontinued by this time. Well, thanx to Ebay, I got a bunch of 80 turbo TA's and another new 79 TA which I'm finding is EXTREEMELY rare now.

The camaro is coming along in much the same way. I botched a touchup on the paint job and stripped it. EVERYONE who paints, make note of this.. the laquer paints and primers... on the primer especially, take your time and do MIST COATS ONLY and let EACH coat dry for about 10 min before the next until the car is covered. otherwise you will end up with HOURS of work on your body as I ended up doing. I stripped most all the paint off the car and alot of the primer.. sanded down a few stubborn spots which went to the plastic. well.. I put on a decent coat of laquer primer and uuugh.... a BUNCH of spots crazed to the point of causing deep wrinkles in the plastic. NOT a fun thing to fix.. I spent 3 hours on the hood.. wet sanding down, priming, letting dry, wetsanding, etc.. putty would work, but I just don't like the stuff as it has alot of the same properties as the primer and could just make the wrinkles deeper. so MIST coats...... same with the paint.. here, preperatin on the body before anything will give HUGE payoffs since the laquer paint is VERY thin and will show every scratch and detail.. showing the detail is the big plus to laquer. I mentioned to someone methods for stripping paint. Castrol Super Clean will do a hell of a job on Clear parts as well as enamel paints. Oven cleaner works a little better on the OOOOLD laquer paint jobs.. I found out my camaro had ALOT of old paint jobs on it.. metallic blue, 2 different white paint jobs and the 2 black paint jobs I've done.. the Castrol took off the fresh laquer with ease. another method talked about is brake fluid. I;ve NEVER used it just cause I hate brake fluid. lol..

anywyas.. my camaro is almost all back in primer ready for final sanding and some off white paint.. Sorry for those who liked the black.. I like it alot too, but.. I need a change. If you have any suggestions before I paint it, I;d like to hear them. I'm thinking about some nice electric blue stripes to go with the white.. I dunno.. we'll see.. or even some nice black stripes. that's not something you see every day.

Someone asked about a wiring harness.. I will ahve pics coming soon as I just installed headlight bulbs and am wiring everything up. The harness is looking pretty authentic. but pretty ugly in some spots. Everything will be lit up on this car.. separate high and low beams, the front turn signals, the fog lights, the side markers, brake lights, reverse lights, license plate lights and of course, the guages and perhaps the dome light if I can figure out how to make a new clear lense. If I can find a cheep *** fiber optic chrismas tree, I'm scavanging some fibers to do stupid crap like the check engine light and seat belt light. yeah.. too much time on my hands.. lol.. and believe it or not.. I WORK 8 hours a day.... lol..

I'll post pics soon if you guys want to see this stuff in progress.

Jamie
Old 01-15-2004, 07:40 PM

Make you one?

I would be glad to make anyone a car.. you just need to provide me with the kit. I am even thinking about offering the Iroc up for sale if it turns out nice enough. If it turns out great, I've gotta take it to a show first.. been building this stuff for YEARS and have never had anything along enough to take to a show. have any of you been to a model car show? I don't mean to harp on anyone who builds and beginners, etc. but it's a show. I've yet to see kits at some of the local shows anyways that look decent. paint sucks, half th eparts have the little nubs on them from the trees, etc.. anyways.. I've just always wanted to build a show stopper.. my weak point is paint. I can make all the detail in the world, but a crappy paint job jsut doesn't cut it. It's like having an ultra clean room with an unvaccumed carpet. lol.. anyways...

if there's any particular details you guys would like to see in this car, let me know.. I'd love some ideas and avenues to try out.

Jamie
Old 01-15-2004, 08:46 PM

Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: LB8 (2.8L V6)
Transmission: MD8 (Auto)
Oh wow, I was just going through a box of stuff I hadn't seen in years and I unearthed a few very cool Matchbox cars. I just have to upload the pictures. I'm so happy.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:52 PM

Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: LB8 (2.8L V6)
Transmission: MD8 (Auto)
Originally posted by kerryismygirl89
Oh wow, I was just going through a box of stuff I hadn't seen in years and I unearthed a few very cool Matchbox cars. I just have to upload the pictures. I'm so happy.

Here it is:

http://home.comcast.net/~kerryismygirl89/newtoys.htm

PS - Not all on that page are third gens.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:37 PM

Car: 88" CAMARO
Engine: 305 TBI
Originally posted by badandy247
anyone else got the red/silver Johnny Lightning 82 camaro in 1/64th? i heard someone else say they had the black/silver but nobody else i know has the red/silver combo i know i've also got a blown 86 1/64th hotwheels z-28 and a colorchanging matchbox (86-7?) firebird somewhere around in my toys from back in the day those cars are the reason i own a camaro today
yeah i have the red & silver johnny lightning camaro,i also have a blue/silver,a black/gold,a yellow/silver,a dark red/silver,a all white,a unpainted(flat silver),a high gloss purple,& the 82 pace car.all of these are 1/64 johnny lightning cars.i have around 160 camaros of all sizes but only around 30 3rd gen cars.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:30 PM
Supreme Member

I think that NUTZZ28 has one too!
Old 01-17-2004, 06:19 PM

Finally..

Something to look at.... These pictures are MUUCH bigger.. unfortunately ahve to reduce them for 3rdgen site.. I'm sending my camera in to get calibrated as well.. can't seem to take a non blurry picture..

anyways.. here's the body done being painted for now.. the nose I had some issues with but it's almost done too. this paint is ALOOOOT shinnier than the black ever was and I haven't even tried wetsanding or polishing yet.
Attached Thumbnails 3rd Gen Models-dcp_2207.jpg  
Old 01-17-2004, 07:15 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 4L60 automatic
swimster

Very nice model.As for why maybe your pics are coming out blurry,and you may know this already,but your camera may require a certain distance from the object when taking a picture for it to come out clear.My camera requires a distance of at least 18 inches for a clear picture.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:21 PM

YEah..

Yeah.. I've been trying a couple of different things.. I have a macro feature and even that seems to be fuzzy.. been doing all sorts of distances.. I just think the sensor is off and messing with the auto focus.. Just going to send it to my buddy I worked with at Kodak. if I ahd the software, I could do it myself.. kind of easy with the right tools.. lol..

I'll figure somethin out hopefully. or just borrow my Boss's camera. Anyways, I'll keep posting pictures of this beast. I think this thread is gettin loooooong though.. lol.. maybe have to start a forum on just this.. lol.. something with the different scales, place for tips and help, place for different types of cars, ie. die-cast, matchbox, plastic models, etc.. I dunno.. just a thought. And like someone else posted, would be nice to see a 91-92 plastic model. I wish I had the know-how to make my own parts.. I'd make conversion parts to make this model a 91-92 style. I saw some stuff on mold making using resins, etc.. I'll look into it and keep ya posted.. I;d also like to make a mini thermal vaccum mold..

anyways.. off to see the band.. be back later..

Jamie
Old 01-18-2004, 04:55 AM
Supreme Member

Hey swimster mine used to be white too! then it was black and now im thinking about gunmetal grey w/black stripes. you should do yours w/those black collectors edition stripes that they have on that one of a kind heritige edition alternative
Old 01-18-2004, 11:23 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '88 T/A and '90 T/A
Engine: LB9/383
Transmission: T5/700R4
I've got about a dozen thirdgen bird models. Hard to find, got most from ebay. I'll post pics soon.

90 t/a
87 t/a x2
pro stock firebird x2
pro stock camaro x2
TTA
86 t/a
88 Formula
STP pro stock firebird
L A P D pro stock camaro
Old 01-21-2004, 05:58 PM

Tail lamp blackouts

You guys won't believe how nice these tail light blackouts are coming out.. ot one done, the other is almost done.. will try to get a pic on here this evening.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:11 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35 SEDAN
Engine: 306HP 3.5L V6
Transmission: Auto Pilot Baby!!!!
Axle/Gears: Don't care!
Does anyone know FOR SURE of a place that sells a '91 Z28? The bigger the model the better. I've been searching for one everywhere I go and have yet to find that particualr year.

I have leftover paint from the dealership from my car and want to match the model.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!!!!
Old 01-22-2004, 12:02 AM

Car: 1986 Trans Am WS6
Engine: Mild 350 TPI
Swimster, u are one tallented dude! I should have u build my '87 GTA model (1/16th scale), i want it done really good to look like my car so i can put it in the back when i take it to shows. How much would u charge for something like that?
Old 01-22-2004, 06:31 AM

hmmm

I'd love to build it for ya.. but I'd have no idea what to charge. Woldn't want to insult anyone, etc. BUt I'd also need as many pics as you could give me of the car too. especially details particular to your car, etc. Also, wit my current schedule, i wouldn't be able to give you a completion timeframe either.. I barely get time to work on this car.. lol. BUT I'd definitly be willing to talk more on this.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:42 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Boosted LSX
Originally posted by UmmaGumma
Does anyone know FOR SURE of a place that sells a '91 Z28? The bigger the model the better. I've been searching for one everywhere I go and have yet to find that particualr year.

I have leftover paint from the dealership from my car and want to match the model.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!!!!
Ebay.. I was at a hobby shop here and seen another one Im gona snag up...

This is mine

Old 01-23-2004, 12:25 PM

my page

I started a webpage so I can host LARGE pics of my car and put up updates.

http://home.twcny.rr.com/mycarpics/model%20pics/

She's coming along.. let me know what you think.

Jamie
Old 01-24-2004, 02:00 PM
Supreme Member

Attached Thumbnails 3rd Gen Models-camarohahaha.jpg  
Old 01-24-2004, 02:09 PM
Supreme Member

Attached Thumbnails 3rd Gen Models-modle1.jpg  
Old 01-24-2004, 02:10 PM
Supreme Member

Attached Thumbnails 3rd Gen Models-modle2.jpg  
Old 01-24-2004, 02:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1991 Trans Am convertible
Transmission: Auto
NEEDforSPEED: what manuf. is the red model? Thanks. Btw it looks good. closeups please.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:32 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83 bird
Engine: 305/383
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
I believe that model is the Sun Star one. I have the same one; you can see it on my CarDomain page (pics of my room, tons of 3rd gen stuff!)

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/474242
Old 01-25-2004, 09:00 PM

some stripes

Finally got around to doing these stripes. The pic didn't make the right color of them.. they are a lighter shade of blue. I dunno, but I think the color is decent and goes rather nicely with the off white.. what do you think? I'm also sitting here building a 1/8 scale engine hoist.. lol.. you can see the 1/12 scale one I made on my webpage I posted in my last post. I have large sized pics of the model going on there so the details show up a little better.
Attached Thumbnails 3rd Gen Models-dcp_2212.jpg  
Old 01-26-2004, 05:35 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Transmission: Pro-Built Automatic/Vigilante 2800
I was told that Hot Wheels will be coming out with a commemorative set with each year camaro
Old 01-27-2004, 10:00 AM

Car: 00 T/A Firehawk
Engine: 346ci LS1
Transmission: MN6
Axle/Gears: 3.42 LSD
Originally posted by _MIKE_P
Here are my three die cast models: two 1/24 1982 Z28's and one 1/18 1982 Z28:hail:
I have that same white Z28!!
Old 01-28-2004, 04:04 AM

Car: 87 iroc
Engine: L98 350
I'm building an '83 camaro by AMT 1:25 right now. Painting it up like mine even though mine's an '87. This is the first time I've ever built a model and I was impressed by the details.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:11 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Z28
Transmission: 4L60 automatic
Originally posted by grafx
I was told that Hot Wheels will be coming out with a commemorative set with each year camaro
Each year or is it each generation...?
Old 02-01-2004, 02:46 AM

Car: 91' TRANS AM Modified
Engine: Classified
Transmission: Auto with Overdrive
Some work in progress..................

I got most of it together along with some extras!

I added a simulated valve,cap & stem to look like a 5 gallon racing cell in the back!...customized add ons soon to come!
Attached Thumbnails 3rd Gen Models-photo9.jpg  
Old 02-01-2004, 10:02 AM
TGO Supporter

sheltonw3 , what scale is that? I haven't worked up enough guts to build my 1:8 Iroc model... I want it to look just like my car (the pic on the box does!!) but I kinda lack modeling skills lol
Old 02-01-2004, 01:35 PM

Car: 91' TRANS AM Modified
Engine: Classified
Transmission: Auto with Overdrive
It's a 1/25 monogram

This car is a 1983 monogram 1/25 scale size and detailing is not very hard to do!...but I've been doing this knida stuff for over 20 yrs! ....but on a serious note, detailing a model is just like detailing a real car ,but only its a hella smaller and its plastic and can be manipulated in so many ways to customizing any way you want!...but if you have a steady hand and can draw a little, you can detail it and even paint it ,if you have the patients to do so?

the next step on this car is the engine,it comes with the standard 305 crossfire set up ,but I am gonna use the extra parts I got from another model and throw in a 350 H.O. set with 4 barrel carb!...and hopefully I will get the thing together by the middle of february if time allows?...this project car will be more of a stunt car
when its finished!
Old 02-01-2004, 03:13 PM

Car: 91 1LE
Engine: LB9
Transmission: MM5
Axle/Gears: GU6
2002 SS and a half-assed model of my old 89 IROC. These just sit in my basement getting dusty.

Old 02-01-2004, 04:16 PM
TGO Supporter

Minus the t-tops... that model looks like my 88 Iroc! Is that a kit or did you customize a kit to make that?
Old 02-01-2004, 11:02 PM

Car: 91 1LE
Engine: LB9
Transmission: MM5
Axle/Gears: GU6
Originally posted by aaron7
Minus the t-tops... that model looks like my 88 Iroc! Is that a kit or did you customize a kit to make that?
I bought the kit off ebay way back in the summer of 99. I kept it until I bought my IROC because I wanted to make a model of my own car. It was an ERTL I beleive.

Now, my car came with the 91 Z28 wheels when I bought it, but the model was for an 89, so the wheels are obivously different tham mine were. Other than that, the model is the same as my car as bet as I could build a model anyway.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '84 Z28
Engine: L69
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: 3rd Gen Models

Originally Posted by labrat
The 85 Z28 I posted is painted with duplicolor bright blue metallic which is the same color as the car I modeled it after.
That's excellent!! I did the same thing, and built 13 of the damn things. I think I did every color combo offered in '85. The original models had the gold striping which was easy to do. I did like you did and added my own silver striping for the silver ground effect cars. Gosh that was almost 20 years ago,
around 1987 & '88. I'll have to post pics of the collection soon.
Btw nice job on your car!
Old 08-13-2007, 12:39 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 Irocz, 95 Z28, 71 Z28 /RS
Engine: 355 Tpi, LT1, 355
Transmission: Auto, Auto, 4sp

Jada toys (dub City) has some 85 Irocz out now, We have one in blue & black.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:53 AM

Car: 1983 WS-6 Trans Am
Engine: 1999 L31 5.7 Vortec
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Auburn Limited-slip w/3:73 gears

I have several 3rd gen models, both Firebirds and Camaros, but most are unbuilt.
This on is the Monogram 1/24 1983 Trans Am.
I originally built it as a black and gold car, but then repainted it after buying my real 3rd gen.
And the white one is like my 79 T/A.

Leon

Name:  100_0143.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  35.0 KB

Name:  100_0137.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  30.4 KB

Name:  000_0630.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  28.9 KB
Old 08-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: Magnacharged LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" 4:11's

Back from the dead!

Jada.....One done to look like my car

Name:  100_0576.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  71.6 KB

And the whole fleet

Name:  100_0605.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  91.5 KB
Old 08-14-2007, 03:55 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 RS(sold) 1989 IROC-Z
Axle/Gears: ones that turn

Originally Posted by 406TPI
Back from the dead!

Jada.....One done to look like my car

And the whole fleet

were did u get those?
Old 08-14-2007, 05:33 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS 25th Anniversary

I bought that blue one and a black one last week they look cool and the ttops com off
Old 08-14-2007, 06:53 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

I can't wait until they make Pontiac ones. 1/25 plastics can be come by, but not die cast.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:49 PM

Car: 1987 Iroc-z
Transmission: Modified T-5 World class
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt borg-warner 3.45

There are some beautiful models in this thread, some dating back 4 years! I used to build models alot, entering them in competions and detailing them with complete wiring and plumbing on the engines. I've built three thirdgens and have several more in storage. the first was a simple snap-together built to resmeble my first car. The second is a Revel Ultra-Z model (probably a 83-84 Z-28) with a blown smallbock engine. But My Favorite is the Tony Fotti's LAPD Pro-stock camaro. I repainting it in two-tone blue and silver metalic and added Ignition lines and a full two-stagesupercharged ingection system, complete with a scratch-built fuel pump and fuel valves.
I still have three AMT/MPC thrid gens and a couple Darel Waltrip pro-mod stock car third gens.
Also on the books is another Ultra-Z but this one I'm planning to build a street legal high speed car like what they run in the Pony express in nevada. I have a cowl indution hood, A nice interior with Nascar parts and a fully detailed smallblock engine as well as a photo etched brake kit and high speed wheels from either a modified Nascar or a ZR-1 vette.
So far I've started on the Chassis and interior, not sure how it'll be painted though, it's molded in yellow and that's what I painted the other one.
This winter I might start building again.
Then there's that 1/8 scale Iroc model that's gathering dust in the bottm of my workshop closet....
Old 08-14-2007, 08:10 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2012 Corvette
Engine: LS3
Transmission: TR6060

I have yet to see any third gen models that look good in my opinion. The Jada model is good, but the front looks kinda flat to me. I also don't like the wheels at all. I did find a Johnny Lightning model that looks fantastic.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:20 PM

Car: 1979 Z28 / 1990 RS
Engine: Matching 350 / 305 TBI
Transmission: Built TH350, 3000 Stall / 700r4

Yes this is an old thread but these models look sweet... I just bought a Jada model off ebay. its a 1/24th scale and its the red/silver ground effects. Although the ground effects are supposed to be body color they have some sweet detail. I bought one that has the prostreet wheels on it. I think that it looks good but it has its flaws but NICE! -Matt
Old 08-18-2007, 05:22 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 86WS6 30K and 82WS7 24K
Engine: 86:305 TPI, 82: 305 LG4
Transmission: 86:700R4, 82: T200C
Axle/Gears: 86:3:27 9 bolt, 82: 3:23 10 bolt

Greenlight models is going to release three versions of third-gen T/A's later this year in 1/18 diecast. One is a pace car, the other two GTA's a red one and a black one. They are all based on the 1989 model year. I have one of each on reserve through diecastmusclecars.com They are limited editions. Good Luck! Charles
Old 08-18-2007, 06:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1990 Formula
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Posi

Here are a couple pics of ones I have in my Photobucket.
I would estimate I have roughly 1000+ F-Body Diecast, for thirdgens I would have to say, a couple hundred.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:11 PM

Car: 1979 Z28 / 1990 RS
Engine: Matching 350 / 305 TBI
Transmission: Built TH350, 3000 Stall / 700r4

hey guys, got my jada model and it looks sweet... will definatly have to get another. -Matt
Old 08-28-2007, 05:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '84 Trans Am; '88 GTA
Engine: Vortec 355ci TPI
Transmission: TH-700R4

For all of us firebird fans, Greenlight is producing a 1/18 scale die cast 89 GTA and the TTA as well. Can't wait!

http://www.greenlighttoys.com/89transam_gta

EDIT to add: I mean umm yeah, what 86WS6 said

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Models