Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

sneak peak at the new look

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 04:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Pair of 92 Z28s
Originally Posted by mw66nova
well, i suppose that not everyone likes a very clean stock appearing ride that runs 12's(soon to be 10's)...i understand i suppose. now if the car had 91-92 gfx and an ss hood with 18" billet wheels, then it'd be "badass" like every other "badass" car on TGO...but no, it's a non-gfx car with a super awesomely clean paint job with a functional stock hood and fatties/skinnies and has been built for a sole purpose...to get down the 1/4 before you do and take you by suprise cause it didn't have gfx and a cowl hood/ss hood, or some other goofy hood.
I understood what PREDATOR said...and i can kinda agree with him. From a distance it will just look like any other 3rd gen on the road but this one has nice paint. The power behind it has NOTHING to do with the appearance...its all opinions then. I notice stuff like fender alignment with the paint and thats what gets a good appearing clean third gen. I would look 4 times back if i passed you on the road...that car looks amazing...it shows the body lines so well and everything about it fits it purpose/style.

I am one of your lowered, GFX, bigger rims z28 guy...its just perference man. Yes you have ***** down the 1/4 but a lot of other people care more about just the strip you gotta understand that. Lots are into appearance, lots like a set of matching rims, lots like to put there cars in turns...we are all different people.

I got into the car hobby because of the classics...the late 60s and early 70s cars thats all they were about was straight line. Ive wanted more from a car nowadays and i look at the whole package not just the motor and how well it goes straight.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:12 PM

Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: Pro 5.0 shifted T56
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73 posi
so whats the story on the stiches?

lol, off topic i know but im intrigued as i recently had my own little "oops"
(3 1/2hrs of surgury to put my pinky finger back on my hand )
Old 07-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by StreetRoc85 350
so whats the story on the stiches?

lol, off topic i know but im intrigued as i recently had my own little "oops"
(3 1/2hrs of surgury to put my pinky finger back on my hand )
(bike chain)

?
Old 07-10-2006, 05:19 PM

Car: 1984 z28 camaro / 2019 accord sport
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
the one thing it needs is something in the front to round it out like the sides of the car and make the front of the car look a little lower
Old 07-10-2006, 05:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: camaro sportcoupe
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: G-Force GF5R
Axle/Gears: Moser 9"
you talkin' about on my shoulder? i had massive reconstructive surgury on it after being hit by a car.

i understand where everyone is coming from and i've already got another car in the works that is more geared towards show and handling...and getting better around town mileage than this one does, lol! i'm hoping to find an 82-84 z28, but i may have just fallen into a good deal on an 85-90 iroc...

the car was built for a purpose, and it does it well...and my matching front wheels are ON THE WAY DAMMIT! lol! and honestly, i really like the front end how it is...i can't wait to get more pics from it outside of the paint booth so i can see the thing in the day light...if you look at the pics on my cardomain and stuff, you'll notice the paint was a little thin on the bottom of the car. that and a few other things was why the car went back in for a repaint as a whole instead of just dropping the hood off.

see, there is something people gotta understand about me though. this is not just a hobby, this is my job/passion and i build cars for a specific purpose. having a dual purpose car is cool or whatever but it'll never do either one of it's goals to it's fullest potential cause it takes too much away from one or the other...does that make sense? which is why i'm planning to build a whole 'nother car, though i'm really hoping it won't cost me near as much as this one has...but this is the money pit one, the one that never gets "finished"...shoot, i'm working on a single turbo setup for it right now.

Last edited by mw66nova; 07-10-2006 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:49 PM
Supreme Member

With the amount of money you put into both cars you can put into 1 and have both thats what i dont understand. Do what you love though, and if owning 1 third gen that does this and the other that does that then so be it. Just do what makes you happy, thats all i do. From the later model cars mainly 85-92 irocs and z28s they had so much potential in the handling department its just a waste to make into pure drag. Thats how i view it so thats how im gonna do it..
Old 07-10-2006, 06:14 PM
Supreme Member

hmm...i don't think so stevo. hypothetically speaking, if you took $30k and built your car into the all around badass ride that you would and i take $30K and built two cars built for specific purposes, i promise you that my $15K drag car would beat your $30K dual purpose car in the straight line and my $15K handling car would clean your clock in the twisties, and it has to do with the whole car working together as a package and having the right things on it for it's purpose and not having other things on it that would keep it from doing it's purpose. like having trick springs and qa1 adjustable drag shocks and struts on the drag car and having hotchkis lowering springs and Koni reds on the twisty car. just putting on sticky tires on a car made to handle is not going to make it hook at the drag strip when you putting down some serious HP...and i'm not talking about just 450-500hp here either, i'm looking to have 600rwhp outta the 305 by the time it's all said and done, with a bigger bore motor on it's way in once i'm done learning...i'm not just building an 11 second street car here, i have every intention on just making it faster and faster as i learn more about it.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:41 PM

Matt, I have been a long viewing member (just joined awhile back) to the site and have seen you rides build its way to how she is and .. I've gotta say ... You have got some nice taste and know what your going for out of the car! and everyone else who says put gfx,etc .. back on it .. screw them lol I would do a no gfx on my car but they are in good shape but if someone should ever happen then they will come off I say keep up the work and the direction your going in bro! (just making more white thirdgens even more sexy!!) And as for the none matching front wheels .. who cares guys! he is going to get the other put on when he has the time (read the full post lol) well here is my .. p.o.s not as nice as your but does the business on the track 383 th400 w/ break and stall, 3'' duels and spool with gears and axels

needs paint but .. got another engine in the works .. then it will be all white with black buckets (no strips or decals) anywho (dont wanna jack your thread and sorry if I came off like that) keep up the awsome work bro!! cant wait to see more new pics
Old 07-10-2006, 06:45 PM

Also! tahst an old pic (well .. its summer and theres snow in that one lol) I blew the rear up about 3 months ago and ahve anew one in it now and doing some rear suspension work .. will take new pics in afew days but (its on stands right now)
Old 07-10-2006, 09:10 PM
Banned

hmm...i don't think so stevo. hypothetically speaking, if you took $30k and built your car into the all around badass ride that you would and i take $30K and built two cars built for specific purposes, i promise you that my $15K drag car would beat your $30K dual purpose car in the straight line and my $15K handling car would clean your clock in the twisties.
I have to say that i know your car would smoke mine badly, and i know you car was built for a purpose, but dont get cocky. Anbody that know engines and how to drag could pretty much kick your *** with $15k more than you. They could do the same mods as you with $15K plus lets say an extra $7K in performance then considering you cars were both just in fair condition he could take $8k to make the exterior look better and have a heck of a ride. PS he wasnt comparing his car to yours he was saying why didnt you combine both the cars you have. I dont mean to sound like a jerk if i sound like one...But hey for your purpose great car.

Last edited by PREDATOR; 07-10-2006 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:15 PM

hey BUDDY!!!!!!!!! why dont you have some of those cheap looking emblems on your car. i mean your sticking up for the guy why dont you at least put some of his emblems on your car!!!!!!!!!! (your welcome for my input)
Old 07-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Banned

Why dont you atleast put a reply on the right thread smart one.

Last edited by PREDATOR; 07-10-2006 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro z28
Engine: 350 HSR
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42's
I WILL go 10's with a traditional small bore 305, even if i have to spray and blow it!

I love that attitude..........do whatcha gotta do to accomplished your goal.

As far as your car goes.........I love it. You set out to build a fast car that looked clean and stock with just enough edge to get people curious as to how fast it might be. I think its looks great with or without the mis-matched front wheels......I do live in Ga so I see it all day long.

Great Work
Old 07-10-2006, 09:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 convertible built 3/1/1990
Engine: Cammed 6.0L LSX
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: custom Ford 8.8", 4.10 gears
i saw your pictures on team3rdgen.com looks AWESOME
Old 07-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Supreme Member

Yes you are right with more money into 1 category obviously you can do more with just that. Normally id say so another set up drag car that runs 10s so what? but your gonna do it with a 305 and that prolly has not been acomplished yet so that means a lot more. Lots of people dont like the look of a gfx-less car thats just them. I think in your case you pulled it off VERY WELL and shows the true body lines(the true beauty) in these cars...

Just you gotta be able to take some criticism, and stop just putting people like me and the cars like mine into 1 big category. Lots are focused on different goals from you and do not like your sole purpose of what you are doing with your car.

Thats all im gonna say dude, ive always been a fan of your car(s) and how you have restored them in the past

Last edited by Stevo; 07-10-2006 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:52 PM
Supreme Member

i'm not the first person to run 10's with the small bore 305, but i talked with the first person who did it for about an hour and a half and he has the record at 10.98 n/a...his name is Rich Aman, but the car is not streetable at all. it's got 5.14 gears and 29" tires with a liberty 5spd...i want to do it and it be streetable with full interior. that's why i'm going with a turbocharger.

yeah, i haven't been taking criticism near as well as i normally do, been dealing with some VERY stupid stuff.

hehe, PREDATOR, you must not know me...i'm not being cocky, it's just the truth...cause most people will take their money and spend it all on parts while i'll be spending it on raw materials and making things myself so i can spend the money on the things it needs, like a tko500 tranny for the twisty car and a built to the hilt th350 with an ATI 8" converter and a tranny brake for the drag car...there are too many things that need to be different between the two types of cars in order to perform to it's greatest potential.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:00 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by KonArtist
As far as your car goes.........I love it. You set out to build a fast car that looked clean and stock with just enough edge to get people curious as to how fast it might be.

brother, you hit the nail right on the head. i don't think i coulda said it better myself honestly. we're gonna have to hook up at Commerce or Reynolds one day...
Old 07-11-2006, 01:14 AM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS, 1993 Camaro Z-28
Engine: what engine, LT1
Transmission: did it come with one, 4l60
Axle/Gears: They spin (most of the time)
Originally Posted by amerikan_rhino
I love his car too
Old 07-12-2006, 06:55 PM
Supreme Member

well, here are some pics of it out of the booth, my painter put on a "double clear", though i don't know that that is the proper terminology (i'm a motor/drivetrain guy, not body/paint)

nice reflection shot off the hood

one off the top of the car

one of the ds jamb

an overall shot, though it's kinda dirty(the full size chevy it's sitting next to is Jeremy's daily, you should see his project truck!)
Old 07-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 Bolt, 3.42
Looks good, keep us posted.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI w/ l98 cam
Transmission: T5 5-speed
Axle/Gears: 3.45 posi disc 9 bolt
looking good matt. i remember you saying you were worried about it b/c you only have black on the front. the rest is all plain white. have you thought about tinting it kinda dark that should help out with the color a little. but i really like it man that hood looks sweet on there honestly on your car i like it better than the cowl you had.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:18 PM
Supreme Member

yeah, i really like the new hood too. can't wait to get the rodlites on her. i'm looking to tint the windows like 32%, nothing crazy, i really don't like the dark dark tints. but i'm gonna need something to keep the sun out now since there is no a/c, vent, or heater!
Old 07-13-2006, 08:22 PM

Car: '92 RS ~ '92 Ranger
Engine: 305 TPI ~ 2.3 OHC
Transmission: 700R4 ~ Mazda 5-Speed
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt 3.23's ~ 7.5
Your car looks incredible, you've inspired me to go ahead with my current 305 instead of savin up for somthing bigger, and best of luck to ya sir!!
Old 07-13-2006, 09:38 PM

Car: 1985 IROC
Engine: 350 TPI (block was swapped)
Transmission: 700r4 w/corvette servo
Axle/Gears: no idea
Matt, how restrictive do you think that air filter is? The surface area of it is so small.

I love your car, my first thirdgen was white, but looked like crap. Yours is pretty damn impressive, I would never go with the no gf/x look but for some reason your car pulls it off *im going to find out why, i just have to think really hard or something*

If you realllly want to go with that sleeper look, take and get some k&n stickers and put them on your back window on the sides closest to the door windows That would really throw people off.

Also you should look into getting some REALLY restrictive mufflers or something that REALLY quiet down your car, then weld in some cutouts so you can show the buisness end off still.

If you are realllly trying to go for the sleeper look I think you can do better

-Blair

Last edited by WaaX; 07-13-2006 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-13-2006, 10:13 PM
Supreme Member

the air filters are super restrictive, but they come off for the drag strip anyhow.

don't worry, i'm lookin' at ways to quite it down, though the main muffling device will actually be in the engine bay...

oh, and thanks for the compliments on the fast 305...but it's about to get a whole bunch faster!
Old 07-14-2006, 01:36 AM

Car: 89 RS
Engine: 350 5.7
Transmission: 700r4
Hey I just wanted to say I think your car looks awesome, this is the first one of that style that I have actually liked. I was hoping there was a way to make them look good lol because I want to have my 82 Berlinetta looking nice one day! What year is yours? Keep up the good work!!
----------
Oh yeah one more thing, my car is the opposite of what you're going for - people hear it (even machanics or Camaro maniacs) and would swear I have a 305 and say it sounds good, honestly i think it sounds like crap, and I don't have a 305, just a 2.8 v6 (what's that, a 205?) and it has a ton of holes in the exhaust and catalytic converter, which I hope to get fixed some day.

Last edited by Sassy8722; 07-14-2006 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-14-2006, 03:28 AM

Car: 85 Z28, 88 GTA, 68 Cutlass S
Engine: 305TPI X2 ;), Chevy 250
Transmission: T5, 700R4, powerslide >:(
Axle/Gears: posi, and posi w/discs :D.
looks awesome man!
i cant believe people will bash you for not running GFX. its a purpose built car, they just add weight. the only thing that matters is your time slip, and what you run right now is better than most of us can say, especially on a budget built 305.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:29 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Trans Am
Engine: 406
Transmission: TH350, 4200
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3.89
the air filters are super restrictive, but they come off for the drag strip anyhow.

don't worry, i'm lookin' at ways to quite it down, though the main muffling device will actually be in the engine bay...

oh, and thanks for the compliments on the fast 305...but it's about to get a whole bunch faster!

Skimmed the thread and caught this. How big of a turbo are you going with?
Old 07-14-2006, 09:03 AM
Supreme Member

hahahaha! a master power t70 is what i'm lookin' at right now, or a holset hx50...

the car is actually a 1990 RS and it has 1987 sportcoupe LT front and rear bumper covers and i took the spoiler off, so it's a 1985 sportcoupe clone-esk.

thanks for the compliments guys and it's great to see people finally understanding that it's a purpose built car. something i can driver everyday without any streetability issues, but lays down the numbers on the track. that's what's most important to me.