Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

added LED front sig bulbs, now front sidemarkers wont work?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 2wd
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2:73 open (for now)
added LED front sig bulbs, now front sidemarkers wont work?

I put in new LED bulbs in my front running lights (clear now instead of amber), now my front side markers wont work...?...my drivers side wont come on at all, and my pass side sidemarker is extremely dim

I've searched on here and cant quite seem to find the answer..upon searching the biggest problem ive found is the blink rate, and I haven't made to that point yet, lol, thanks

Name:  10C8F894-8563-477C-94A5-AE0D349F3DCD_zpsxlxswzki.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  81.2 KB

Name:  9CB75F1E-60CA-4E8E-B639-7492BC0C7D78_zpsnwyd54vm.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  83.6 KB

Name:  5C753840-745D-4FFE-8AA5-B9BF333A64D5_zps8pp7zsml.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  105.4 KB

Name:  81168B2A-C703-4BC9-B089-1AF8C0545FB0_zpsoebtq8jh.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  106.8 KB

Last edited by bigarmzz; 12-16-2016 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:59 PM
Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 573 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt
Re: added LED front sig bulbs, now front sidemarkers wont work?

Can the polarity be switched on the lights and do they require inline resistance.the dim side sounds like a bad ground.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tuned Performance
Can the polarity be switched on the lights and do they require inline resistance.the dim side sounds like a bad ground.
not sure. Shouldn't be a bad ground I wouldn't think, because the sidemarkers worked fine til I put the LED bulbs in the front running lenses

I mean, all I did was upgrade the front 2 running lights from the 2057 bulb style to the LED style
Old 12-14-2016, 01:11 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 HO
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Hope not a dumb question, how hard is it to put 2057 back in and see how it works. Maybe you got bad LED light.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by dlinger
Hope not a dumb question, how hard is it to put 2057 back in and see how it works. Maybe you got bad LED light.
not a dumb question at all, only takes maybe 15-20 minutes, I just gotta jack up the car and take out 4 10mm bolts with my ratcheting wrench....both the new LED lights come on and seem to work fine though.....but i'll try that this eve and see what happens, thanks
Old 12-14-2016, 02:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: LS1 10bolt w/ 3.73

Originally Posted by bigarmzz
I put in new LED bulbs in my front running lights (clear now instead of amber), now my front side markers wont work...?...my drivers side wont come on at all, and my pass side sidemarker is extremely dim

I've searched on here and cant quite seem to find the answer..upon searching the biggest problem ive found is the blink rate, and I haven't made to that point yet, lol, thanks
Hey, i had the same issues when i put LEDs in all of my lights on my 87. The thirdgen camaro's used a different kind of front turn signal bulb. The bulb actually acts as a ground switch when the running lamps are on and the turn signals are activated. The reason you get a dimly lit side marker lamp is due to the lower current needs of LED.

I ended up putting the standard incandescent bulbs back in the front running lamps. The other alternative is running a series of relays for the turn signals.

Here is the website i got most of my information from
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...rkerflash.html

good luck!
Old 12-14-2016, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc vert black
Engine: 305 TPI

I believe you need a special flasher that's rated for LED bulbs.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 316 Likes on 259 Posts
Car: 89RS vert
Engine: Erod
Transmission: 4L65e
Axle/Gears: BW, 3.27

Probably both, but at the very least.You'll need relays for each lamp.I have a schematic here (post 10), but only for the sidemarker, pretty much the same applies to the driving lamps.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto...t-markers.html
Old 12-19-2016, 10:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

I have LEDs in both my front and side markets.

To get my side markers to work, I had to use polarity reversing LEDs.
Our side markers are weird and the grounding side changes to give us that alternating effect from the front marker. Superbright LEDs use to have them, I think that's where I got mine.

You'll also want a LED flasher.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:44 AM

Car: 1988 gta-
Engine: 383 tpi
Transmission: 700 r-4

hey old thread but do they sell these LEDS still?

the fronts i think i can just flip the connectors that reside in the housing around. thanks
Old 05-12-2019, 07:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

Originally Posted by ikeepitreelz
hey old thread but do they sell these LEDS still?

the fronts i think i can just flip the connectors that reside in the housing around. thanks
Yes they do and they have come along way in the past few years. I have fully changed every exterior socket bulbs with LED and it all works perfectly. I use these, no connection flip required.

Luyed 2 x 900 Lumens Super Bright. These bulbs fit the socket properly, some bottom out on the lip of the connector. They make these in different colors so I used the proper color for the lens, ie I used red in the brake lights. I used the Luyeds 2 wire bulbs for my side marker lights. I like this brand and have had zero issues with any of their bulbs. Luyed makes brighter bulbs but some did not fit right so they did not work right. Lastly I used this flasher. You will need this or have to wire resistors in the lights so this is a one and done. I love the brighter look I get from the LED's gives a more modern look.

Last edited by vinny R; 05-12-2019 at 07:06 AM. Reason: pic problem
Old 05-12-2019, 03:00 PM

Car: 1988 gta-
Engine: 383 tpi
Transmission: 700 r-4

Originally Posted by vinny R
Yes they do and they have come along way in the past few years. I have fully changed every exterior socket bulbs with LED and it all works perfectly. I use these, no connection flip required.

Luyed 2 x 900 Lumens Super Bright. These bulbs fit the socket properly, some bottom out on the lip of the connector. They make these in different colors so I used the proper color for the lens, ie I used red in the brake lights. I used the Luyeds 2 wire bulbs for my side marker lights. I like this brand and have had zero issues with any of their bulbs. Luyed makes brighter bulbs but some did not fit right so they did not work right. Lastly I used this flasher. You will need this or have to wire resistors in the lights so this is a one and done. I love the brighter look I get from the LED's gives a more modern look.

I have worked on 2 third gens this past 2 months and installed LEDS all around
on the 91 formula all lights you can think of are LED including interior lights. the only problem with that one is the marker lights, they glow dim and dont have the sequential light up.

On the 87 Iroc same thing except this car has the dakota digital dash which shouldnt matter. The side marker wont light up and when i do put in a regular incandescent bulb it lights up faintly.

I already installed the flasher above on both cars because i dont like the GM flashing rate and the clicking sounds bad with the older style flashers. I did one of the the hazard and one of the turn signals. not sure about waht to do with these two cars now as far as the side markers go. Bought the high quality bulbs from amazon.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

Originally Posted by ikeepitreelz
I have worked on 2 third gens this past 2 months and installed LEDS all around
on the 91 formula all lights you can think of are LED including interior lights. the only problem with that one is the marker lights, they glow dim and dont have the sequential light up.

On the 87 Iroc same thing except this car has the dakota digital dash which shouldnt matter. The side marker wont light up and when i do put in a regular incandescent bulb it lights up faintly.

I already installed the flasher above on both cars because i dont like the GM flashing rate and the clicking sounds bad with the older style flashers. I did one of the the hazard and one of the turn signals. not sure about waht to do with these two cars now as far as the side markers go. Bought the high quality bulbs from amazon.
Make sure the front parking light and the rear turn signal bulbs are installed properly. The side marker lights use the same ground as the turn signals, they alternate back and forth between the 2. I had that issue with the first bulb set, if one is not seated properly you do not get the proper ground through the system.

I had one of the cheaper bulbs go bad in the rear turn signal, The bottom connection pin. and the whole turn signal system would not work.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuned Performance

Lol sorry for this ahead of time
don't switch the polarity
Your flux capacitor isn't
Rated for that
man guna stuck
& stuff