Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

YouTube Detailing channels worth following

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 12:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s
YouTube Detailing channels worth following

I thought I would open a thread wherein members could post detailing channels that they follow on YouTube. There are lots of channels on YouTube that don't amount to much more than infomercials for a company. Ie Chemical brothers and Ammo NYC. Then there are other channels that reviewed auto detailing products that were good for a period but at some point when their subscriber base went up they started giving everything a good review, just different shades of good. Ie Acc0rd79.
One of my favorite channels I've found for car detailing is Dallas Paint Correction and Auto Detailing. He recommends products and methods that have worked for him and he'll say when he thinks a product is overpriced/overhyped.
What channels does everybody else watch or recommend?
Old 09-04-2018, 02:43 PM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73
Re: YouTube Detailing channels worth following

I don't watch YouTube per se, at least for detailing info, but I spend a good amount of time on the Autogeek forums. While I feel the Autogeek spotlight reviews and how to videos are possibly biased on occasion, the forums are pretty solid and unbiased, with TONS of info well beyond my skill level.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 239 Likes on 185 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

Originally Posted by Tibo
I thought I would open a thread wherein members could post detailing channels that they follow on YouTube. There are lots of channels on YouTube that don't amount to much more than infomercials for a company. Ie Chemical brothers and Ammo NYC. Then there are other channels that reviewed auto detailing products that were good for a period but at some point when their subscriber base went up they started giving everything a good review, just different shades of good. Ie Acc0rd79.
One of my favorite channels I've found for car detailing is Dallas Paint Correction and Auto Detailing. He recommends products and methods that have worked for him and he'll say when he thinks a product is overpriced/overhyped.
What channels does everybody else watch or recommend?
I Like the Dallas guy also. I found him when I was looking to purchase a buffer. I was looking to buy the Harbor Freight model and he did a review that I thought was honest. He also did a demonstration on how to properly use a dual action polisher. He seems like a very knowledgeable guy when it comes to detailing stuff.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2

It does seem like the detailing videos are biased towards certain products. I like to try out different products and ask other guys at cruise nights what they use when I see a car turned out really nice.

I can’t seem to stray from Meguiars for polishes. The professional line and even the Ultimate polish is such a great finishing polish. I love the swirl remover for a quickie polish on a black car after a hand wash right before waxing.

for waxes I’m more open to try different things. I love that the polymer sealants last forever, but carnuba gives richer shine. There are synthetic and carnuba blends now too. I’ve seen great results with Chemical Guys butter wax.

Someone gave some advice on tire dressing in another thread that I need to go back and take note of. I’m always trying new tire dressings. Nothing has really blown me away.

I’m also always looking for good chrome polish for my Tahoe wheels. Mothers seems good but I’m open to whatever. I try to keep all my wheels really clean and mostly use car wash and a soft wheel brush.

for car wash I really like the Meguiars Gold Class.. It suds up nice, doesn’t take much and keeps the wax glossy and effective for a long time. I’ve tried a lot of car washes..

Old 09-05-2018, 11:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 239 Likes on 185 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

Originally Posted by 88IROCvertZ
It does seem like the detailing videos are biased towards certain products. I like to try out different products and ask other guys at cruise nights what they use when I see a car turned out really nice.

I can’t seem to stray from Meguiars for polishes. The professional line and even the Ultimate polish is such a great finishing polish. I love the swirl remover for a quickie polish on a black car after a hand wash right before waxing.

for waxes I’m more open to try different things. I love that the polymer sealants last forever, but carnuba gives richer shine. There are synthetic and carnuba blends now too. I’ve seen great results with Chemical Guys butter wax.

Someone gave some advice on tire dressing in another thread that I need to go back and take note of. I’m always trying new tire dressings. Nothing has really blown me away.

I’m also always looking for good chrome polish for my Tahoe wheels. Mothers seems good but I’m open to whatever. I try to keep all my wheels really clean and mostly use car wash and a soft wheel brush.

for car wash I really like the Meguiars Gold Class.. It suds up nice, doesn’t take much and keeps the wax glossy and effective for a long time. I’ve tried a lot of car washes..

I also use that Mequiars Gold Class car wash also. It does work the best that I have used. I also Use the "Ultimate" line Mequiars has for all the rest, the wax, quick detail interior and exterior swirl remover, I think it is worth the little extra $.
I have a question for you, what is the difference between a polish and a wax? Can you use a polish and not wax afterwards? I have noticed that the word "polish" is associated with numerous products.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:01 PM
Supreme Member

A polish will have some type of abrasive characteristic. A wax or sealant should have none. Lots of companies are adding very small amounts of abrasives to remove scratches from washing and daily driving.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:03 PM
Supreme Member

We'll have to start threads strictly devoted to washing soaps, tire dressings, interior dressing, interior cleaning, wax, polish., etc.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2

Yes, what Tibo said..

Polish is like sand paper. There’s different grit for different things and there’s polishes with synthetic particles that break up and just remove the harsh edges of fine scratches and swirl marks without taking down the clear coat.

when you do paint correction you usually start with a compound to take the clear coat down and use a finishing polish to make it clear and shiny again. Some high end paint corrections use multiple stages of polish starting with a rotary and going down to a DA polisher for the final stages. The paint will essentially look new again because you took a thin layer of clear coat off and removed defects. At that stage you’d want to seal the paint and protect it with wax, sealant, ceramic, etc.. That will keep the paint from being oxidized and help keep the finish clean and even prevent scratches from casual contact with the paint. Wax is like a hard layer of oil that sits on the finish and repels water/ contaminants. Obviously synthetic polymer will take longer to breakdown.

good hand washing technique will keep a sealant on the paint longer. Car washes strip wax pretty quickly.

Cleaner wax is a combo of polish and wax and is good for hiding swirl marks. I use it for quicky jobs..

Ideally polishing by machine is is better but if you polish by hand, only do a section at a time. Keep the polishing pad flat to the paint and don’t apply pressure. Go over a section and before the polish dries, wipe off with microfiber and keep moving. You can apply pressure when removing scratches with a compound, but then you need to do stages of light polish and finishing polish to remove any haze in the paint. Keep the polishing pad clean using a terry towel to remove waste product. Caked on product will hurt the effectiveness of the polish.

You should always wax or seal the paint after polishing..

Keep in mind you can only paint correct so many times. There’s only so much clear coat! I stick to the less abrasive polishes and only do my black vehicles once/year. I keep them clean and waxed so they stay pretty swirl free.

3M makes a good system for wetsanding and polishing scratches too. I use Trizact paper to wetsand scratches. Works really well.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Originally Posted by Tibo
We'll have to start threads strictly devoted to washing soaps, tire dressings, interior dressing, interior cleaning, wax, polish., etc.
I like this idea Tibo. Thanks for starting this.