Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Expensive Car Cover Destroyed by Squirrels

Old 12-31-2018, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Sport Coupe
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Expensive Car Cover Destroyed by Squirrels

Today the flying rats (squirrels) ripped the cover on my 84 Camaro to shreds - see attached pic. They use the cover material to help keep warm in their nests. I've tried putting Cayenne Pepper and moth ***** on covers but it doesn't work. Any advice on how to stop them from doing car cover destruction would be appreciated.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: LS7
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Expensive Car Cover Destroyed by Squirrels

Originally Posted by 3gencam View Post
Any advice on how to stop them from doing car cover destruction would be appreciated.
We never had squirrels growing up because all the little boys had a Daisy.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I prefer the purring murderer of vermin, myself. Highly recommended. She rarely gets a Squirrel, but mice, rabbits, spiders, slow birds, errant poodles... The squirrels are generally confined to the trees if they're not running for their lives.

Old 01-01-2019, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Drew View Post
I prefer the purring murderer of vermin, myself. Highly recommended. She rarely gets a Squirrel, but mice, rabbits, spiders, slow birds, errant poodles... The squirrels are generally confined to the trees if they're not running for their lives.

That's hilarious! In fact, my neighbor's cat spends a lot of time in my back yard and I did see her chase a squirrel once. It got away.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Oh yea , If I came home to find that and knew squirrels had done it , it'd be game on !

I'd be out there with QwkTrip's Daisy , or maybe even up the ante a bit to , say , a flippin Flamethrower , and it'd be BBQ squirrel for all
Old 01-01-2019, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by OrangeBird View Post
Oh yea , If I came home to find that and knew squirrels had done it , it'd be game on !

I'd be out there with QwkTrip's Daisy , or maybe even up the ante a bit to , say , a flipping Flamethrower , and it'd be BBQ squirrel for all
Ha ha! Where I live for years the city has been pushing an endless campaign to eliminate all stray cats or make sure they are all neutered so now are very few feral cats around if any. Those cats were the natural predators that kept the squirrel population in check. Today squirrels are treated like an endangered species and so their population has exploded over time. So now everyday I've got about a dozen squirrels on the ground running around unafraid like they own the place. They are a total menace and highly destructive. Most people don't realize they are a member of the RAT family! I hate them!
Old 01-01-2019, 04:13 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 83Z28 HO
Engine: Magnacharged Dart Little M 408
Transmission: G Force 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" w/Detroit Trutrac

Wow....that sucks. I'd be pretty unhappy if it were my cover. Luckily - or unluckily - I have a neighbor that feeds all the critters in the neighborhood every morning. He throws out old hot dog buns, corn cobs etc. I've found pieces of bread on the roof of my car, and not only squirrels like the food....skunks do too!! Lots of fat squirrels around my house!! lol
Old 01-01-2019, 05:40 PM

Car: 82 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 350 Vortec, sprayed
Axle/Gears: Spooled Strange 12 bolt, 3.73 gears

Wow...I'm surprised the cayenne pepper and moth ***** didn't work. I know they make a spray repellent, but I'm not sure how well it works. The only thing I can think of is putting one of those fake hawks people put in gardens to try to scare them away, but those only seem to work half the time. Sorry that happened to you, I know that has to be aggravating!
Old 01-01-2019, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by straightbuchana View Post
Wow...I'm surprised the cayenne pepper and moth ***** didn't work. I know they make a spray repellent, but I'm not sure how well it works. The only thing I can think of is putting one of those fake hawks people put in gardens to try to scare them away, but those only seem to work half the time. Sorry that happened to you, I know that has to be aggravating!
Yes, it's very annoying. They have destroyed several of my covers over time. After its been raining cloth covers become easy for the squirrels to rip apart like a paper towel. Also, we have a lot of Falcons in the neighborhood and they are huge. I am sure they get some of the squirrels but the vermin is breeding so fast I think only cats would be able to contain the situation.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 IROC "The Duece"
Engine: 5.7 TPI L98
Transmission: 700R4

Squirrels can be delicious. Just sayin,,,,,,,,,,
Old 01-03-2019, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Hawgtied View Post
Squirrels can be delicious. Just saying,,,,,,,,,,
Didn't the Beverly Hillbillies eat squirrel?
Old 01-10-2019, 08:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2

Nothing works better than a cat.. Drew is right..

We solved our mouse problem in our barn by bringing home a 5 month old kitten to live in the barn. He is in a big 5 foot tall crate with different levels, toys, blankets, litter box, etc. Just trying to get him used to his house so he doesn’t run away. He seems to like it now..

Even with the cat in the crate, the mice are gone. This cat can climb too.. I don’t think squirrels in trees will be very safe either..

We got him from a lady who had barn cats that kept having babies.. She has like 15 cats right now..

We have Nest cameras in the horse stalls and could see the mice crawling on the horses to get warm and looking for food.. We might not be seeing as many bunnies in the yard either which will bum out my wife, but something needed to be done.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by 88IROCvertZ View Post
Nothing works better than a cat.. Drew is right..

We solved our mouse problem in our barn by bringing home a 5 month old kitten to live in the barn. He is in a big 5 foot tall crate with different levels, toys, blankets, litter box, etc. Just trying to get him used to his house so he doesnít run away. He seems to like it now..

Even with the cat in the crate, the mice are gone. This cat can climb too.. I donít think squirrels in trees will be very safe either..

We got him from a lady who had barn cats that kept having babies.. She has like 15 cats right now..

We have Nest cameras in the horse stalls and could see the mice crawling on the horses to get warm and looking for food.. We might not be seeing as many bunnies in the yard either which will bum out my wife, but something needed to be done.

I agree with you completely. There is a young feral female cat that spends a lot of time in my backyard. I put out food and water for her everyday but she keeps her distance. I have seen her catch mice, lizards and snakes. She chases the squirrels but they are faster than her. Whenever they see her a few of the squirrels start barking out the warning to other squirrels to look out for the cat. Hopefully, someday soon she'll kill one of them. The squirrels have now destroyed 3 car covers in the last week. I am now trying a new strategy. Last night I put an entire jar of cayenne pepper on a car cover and this morning the squirrels haven't done any new damage. If this works, it means you have to basically cover the entire cover with A LOT of pepper to deter them. After it rains tonight I will have to reapply more cayenne pepper. It's a lot cheaper than buying new covers.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:16 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.77 currently, 12 bolt 3.73 soon

I'm currently at war with the mice in my pre WWII garage so I know your pain.

I wonder if you put a bucket of ripped and cut up old tshirts near your car if the squirrels would just take those instead
Old 01-10-2019, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by TylerSteez View Post
I'm currently at war with the mice in my pre WWII garage so I know your pain.

I wonder if you put a bucket of ripped and cut up old t-shirts near your car if the squirrels would just take those instead
What are the mice attacking? Wiring in the engine bay or are they after car covers?

Yes, I tried leaving car cover scraps (from the first cover they shredded) on the ground and I hung pieces on the fence but they never touched them. They only go after the material on top of the cars.

So far today they didn't do any damage apparently because I put a lot cayenne pepper on the cover. The cover looks bad with all that rust colored pepper on it but hopefully it will continue to work.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: LS7
Axle/Gears: 3.73

It might be a bad idea to let hot pepper lay on the paint.

* Get a cat.
* Or open a shooting arcade. The ones on the ground are the ones you take.
* Another option is to trap and drown.
* Or get rid of the cover.