Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Anyone else feel that after the third gen design the Camaro & Firebird went downhill

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 07:00 AM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car
Re: Anyone else feel that after the third gen design the Camaro & Firebird went downh

I agree that the car designs look bad today compared to in the 80s. During the 80's, there were so many good looking cars to choose from, but as we know, not so much today.

I also have to agree that we need to remove some of the safety features on today's cars. I think the safety features being spoken about are the lane departure, auto braking, auto parking, etc options on most cars today. Those all need to go and I won't buy a car with those options until they are standard on all cars. It's very discouraging to see "enthusiasts" talk online about how they set the cruise control and let the car do all of the driving for them with auto braking, etc.

Gladly, my son and his friends do like cars. They have no interest in my cars, but they do like wrenching on them at my house. My son's friends all own Mustangs, Focus ST/RS and other turbo charged cars. One of his friends has a Lexus LS300 putting down 800hp! My son is on his third Mustang, being a pro charged model putting down 600hp at the wheels.

When my son talks about my cars, his friends all say that they might not be fast, but you can look good just by driving them. That means there might be some hope for the future.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 212 Likes on 178 Posts
Car: '89 GTA
Engine: ZZ6TPI
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 3.70:1
Re: Anyone else feel that after the third gen design the Camaro & Firebird went downh

Originally Posted by NoEmissions84TA
I agree with everything you said except this statement. A crappy looking car today is still going to look that way 25 years later.
Actually, because it looked like crap, it won't even be remembered 25 years later.
My statement was intended to taken the opposite way. A style that many find attractive today may not stand the test of time later on. It’s hard to know today what is trendy and what is going to be classic. I do like the look of the new Camaros, but I can’t say if I will still like them 25 years from now.

i agree that if you don’t like a style today, you will probably never like it.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

Originally Posted by TransamGTA350
i agree that if you don’t like a style today, you will probably never like it.
IDK. I've noticed my preferences in style somewhat change over the years. I used to love the 94-98 Mustangs (used to own one) and really dislike the 99-04 Mustangs and now my preference has completely flipped. I'd actually consider buying a manual 99-04 Mustang while I think the 94-98 are ugly.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2

Originally Posted by scottmoyer

I also have to agree that we need to remove some of the safety features on today's cars. I think the safety features being spoken about are the lane departure, auto braking, auto parking, etc options on most cars today. Those all need to go and I won't buy a car with those options until they are standard on all cars. It's very discouraging to see "enthusiasts" talk online about how they set the cruise control and let the car do all of the driving for them with auto braking, etc.

I actually like driving my Tahoe and having all the conveniences... I drive over 30k/ year for work so air conditioned seats, lane departure, cruise control that downshifts on hills, even heated seats and heated steering wheel in the winter are great options I’d miss.. I also prefer the truck GPS with voice control to Siri sometimes.. It works better with the sound system and for phone calls.. The backup camera, sensors and parking guides are helpful to back into tight spots and help avoid curbing your wheels..

But it’s a good contrast to get in the IROC after and grab that steering wheel with no airbag and really feel the road. You’re more connected in older cars.. It feels more dangerous in a way... I even feel like the throttle has a much different feel.. You can hear the engine sucking in air when you hit it..

I used to think old cars were so cool when I was a kid.. I wonder what kids think when they see classic cars from the 60s, 70s... 80s too..

I’ve heard kids say my IROC was cool and they’ll say “What kind of car is that?!” And a couple times the “yuppie 30 something, hipster” dad response is, “oh that’s just an old Camaro..” Yeah thanks dude, enjoy driving your Mini!
Old 07-06-2019, 08:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 511 Likes on 428 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars

Originally Posted by 88IROCvertZ
But it’s a good contrast to get in the IROC after and grab that steering wheel with no airbag and really feel the road. You’re more connected in older cars.. It feels more dangerous in a way... I even feel like the throttle has a much different feel.. You can hear the engine sucking in air when you hit it..
Exactly! Let's compare this to going to an amusement park (they still exist, don't they?). What ride do want to go on, the boring merry-go-round or the ride that you know is going to scare the crap out of you? I want to drive my car, not have my car drive me.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:05 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: '89 'ROC
Engine: 5.7L

You guys make me laugh man. Obv as a fellow member on a thirdgen enthusiast site I think a nice thirdgen is superior to pretty much anything. I mostly only search for these or a nice C4 or ‘96 Impala SS.

That being said, to say in the age of crossover fartmobiles, in-line 4 everything and electronics out the ying yang a gleaming this coming down the road is a design ‘meh’
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...let-camaro-24/

I dunno. The catfish and roundy 90s thing isn’t as visually appealing as the hard angular lines of a thirdgen but consider that as time marches on the same classic unique status awaits just as it did for your thirdgen in the early 2000s.
The following users liked this post:
ThePain (08-11-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 09:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 721 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

Originally Posted by T.L.
There are not a lot of '80s cars that I find attractive. The thirdgen F-bodies were always an exception...
Man I loved 80s vehicles. Besides our Thirdgens, Fox Mustangs, Vettes, Monte Carlos, Grand Prixs, Regals, Cutlass, Jeep Grand Wagoneers, Dodge Power Wagons, Warlocks, Cyclones, .. on and on. Today's cars and trucks all look alike to me, not much in variation.
1986BANDIT (08-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 07:08 PM

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts
Car: 1986 trans am
Engine: 305/350
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.27

the "newish" camaro is the best looking suv/crossover currently made.it makes for a hideously ugly sports car
but when you properly categorize it in the class it belongs(sports ute/suv/crossover)it isn't so bad.4th gen cars are
even better looking,hell the catfish 93-97 is better looking by a landslide and it isn't pretty by any means.

there is a reason new camaros are going bye-bye,ugliness doesn't sell.they need to revisit
the past in regards to styling instead of having a thick,stubby,featureless profile.i hate ford's
and i would take a new mustang 10-1 over any 5th-6th gen camaro if looks were the primary
selling feature.

Last edited by 1986BANDIT; 08-10-2019 at 07:25 PM.
T.L. (08-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 07:14 PM

hey,don't cut down that civic econobox,it has better panel fitment that that fox body....
Old 08-10-2019, 07:21 PM

i agree we need cell phone jamming technology while the car is not in park,
this needs to happen 100% TODAY PREFERABLY.the sooner it happens the better.

if you look at insurance and accident statistics and you will find "distracted driving" covers 75-80% of ALL ACCIDENTS and
out of that percentage its probably 98% cell phone/text distractions.its like watching a car scene in a movie were looking
out the windshield in a forward direction is forbidden . people see it and think,well why do i need to look were im going,
this sale on amazon is far more entertaining than driving safely.

i should also add ,giving your daughter good advice is great,but do not expect her to use this knowledge when you aren't looking over her shoulder.
ive got a daughter as well (20 yrs old) and "good advice " is as well regarded and listened to as "mansplaining" is.its often considered the same thing.
NoEmissions84TA (08-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 10:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird Formula 350
Engine: 5.7
Axle/Gears: Stock

I am a 2nd gen and 3rd gen Firebird fan, up to 1990. I am not a big fan of the front bumper changes in the early 90s. I am not a fan of any 4th gen, 3rd gen Camaros are much better looking.

The new now retiring 5th gen Camaro is nice, but I like the Challenger WAY better.

My 2 favorite cars are the birds and Challengers, the 1970 Challenger and 1971 Formula 400 are AWESOME. But I love my 1989 350 very much.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hawkeye1980:
1986BANDIT (08-12-2019), NoEmissions84TA (08-12-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 10:23 PM

im a good old boy so i love the first gens,the early second gens,the sd-455's,the 70 1/2 z28,plus all older muscle and the third gens are great.im on #6 now.
4th gens are not my cup o tea but the drive-trains are excellent and they have a wealth of parts we can procure to improve our birds and maros.its to the point now
were the older stuff just commands too much money and delivers too little in return other than LOOKS.70 cuda is my dream car(aar/440 six pack or hemi) but its
just mental ,they are in the hundreds of thousands to MULTI million dollar range,thanks Barrett Jackson and sentimental boomers with too much money.

honestly,ive considered bumper swapping my 86 trans am to the banshee bumper but im on the fence.i do like them.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:06 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Transmission: Automatic

Originally Posted by 1986BANDIT
i agree we need cell phone jamming technology while the car is not in park,
this needs to happen 100% TODAY PREFERABLY.the sooner it happens the better.

if you look at insurance and accident statistics and you will find "distracted driving" covers 75-80% of ALL ACCIDENTS and
out of that percentage its probably 98% cell phone/text distractions.its like watching a car scene in a movie were looking
out the windshield in a forward direction is forbidden . people see it and think,well why do i need to look were im going,
this sale on amazon is far more entertaining than driving safely.

i should also add ,giving your daughter good advice is great,but do not expect her to use this knowledge when you aren't looking over her shoulder.
ive got a daughter as well (20 yrs old) and "good advice " is as well regarded and listened to as "mansplaining" is.its often considered the same thing.
One, BTFO with your nanny state governing.

Two: It would be super inconvenient as a pedestrian to constantly lose service every time a car drives past.

Three: It would be a lot more feasible for the cell phone itself to use it's own GPS to calculate travel speed and simply cease functioning at motor vehicle speeds

four: It would be super inconvenient and annoying at a passenger in a vehicle not to be able to use your phone.

So it's technically feasible, but it's not really practical. Really all you can do is practice defensive driving, and teach your kids to be safe and aware.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by SirReveller
You guys make me laugh man. Obv as a fellow member on a thirdgen enthusiast site I think a nice thirdgen is superior to pretty much anything. I mostly only search for these or a nice C4 or ‘96 Impala SS.

That being said, to say in the age of crossover fartmobiles, in-line 4 everything and electronics out the ying yang a gleaming this coming down the road is a design ‘meh’
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...let-camaro-24/

I dunno. The catfish and roundy 90s thing isn’t as visually appealing as the hard angular lines of a thirdgen but consider that as time marches on the same classic unique status awaits just as it did for your thirdgen in the early 2000s.
I actually disagree with this, I don't know if our cars are superior to "anything", perhaps similar cars of the era, but compared to 4th gens they're slow and inefficient. New cars today are just too fast, too comfortable, and more efficient; they blow our third gens away.

HOWEVER, I do agree with you on the style! whihch is why we're here talking about this in auto detailing and appearance. Our cars are ****ing sexy, and that's why I love them It may take us a while to get where we're going, but we'll look damn good getting there!
Firebirdwade (08-16-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 04:14 PM

f%$K the passengers convenience,i could give a rats *** how good a time the "passengers" are having.
statistically idiots text constantly,i see it at every single light.i see dead people,they do not need more
entertainment,they need a massive BOOT IN THE A$$....they need hand holding and its painfully obvious,
it sucks but there is not enough punishment for the stupid a$$holes that keep doing this,endangering
everyone around them.this isn't about "the man taking away our rights" its about stupid morons

idiotic pedestrians are another story,these mindless **** need to LOOK UP instead of on the phone
and walking through red lights,cell phones are turning people into zombies.its a f%^king cancer TBH.
you struck a nerve with this garbage,seriously i hate cell phones.everyone up everyone else's ***,
looking over everyone's shoulder.a dumb biatch walked across in front of me illegally jaywalking of course then started taking
pictures because i almost killed her because of what? her being on a cell phone like a retarded zombie twit.

buy a friggin gps ffs,$20-$50 it doesn't need internet ,wifi ,whatever.pull over,put it in park and use the phone.
seriously,we don't need any more entitled fools killing innocent people and whining about how they cant play
fortnight.cell phones need to die

i should ask ,are you a sovereign citizen? if people didn't act like spoiled children their rights wouldn't be in jeopardy

Last edited by 1986BANDIT; 08-12-2019 at 04:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1986BANDIT:
DeWALT (08-12-2019), NoEmissions84TA (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 04:29 PM

i actually like the new mustang way more than the camaro,the new c8 vette is also a sight to behold
Old 08-12-2019, 05:12 PM
Supreme Member

i actually like the new mustang way more than the camaro,the new c8 vette is also a sight to behold
I was just talking to a guy who has an identical 40th anniversary vette to mine and after 15 years owning the car he really wants a blue C6 convertible with a white top.. Said it would have to be the perfect car to get him to trade.. He doesn’t like the tail lights on the C7... He likes the C4 squared lights and the C6 round lights..

He also said he’s leaning towards the newer Mustang convertibles (blue with white top).. Just because he would like more than two seats to take his grandkids around..

He said the new Camaro is too “boy racer” for him and just not his style and to be fair, I could picture him in a new Mustang before a new Camaro

I think there’s a lot of people like that that just can’t see themselves in a new Camaro...
1986BANDIT (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 06:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 212 Likes on 160 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: LT1, AFR 195cc, 231/239 LE cam.
Transmission: M28 T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10bolt waiting to explode.

I will ignore any generation prior to 3rd gens. I like them, but I'm not about to own one.

3rd gens to me are not a timeless design. They are locked in the 80's design language and look 80's. That doesn't mean they aren't a great design, they look great. But they will never not look 80's. Then again, people sometimes as what year it is, then guess that my 89 is a 70's car. So, I guess that's just my personal experience.

4th gens? Who doesn't love a RA WS6, or a Camaro SS with the 10 spokes? They look good, and the RA WS6 looks just plain mean and always will. But like the 3rd gens, its a 90's design. It will always look 90's with the Cab Forward design that tons of 90's cars used. Weight wise, 4th gens are right around the same as 3rd gens. So not bloated at all. And way better powertrain options with the LS engines.

5th gens? Looked good when it came out, but yeah, way too bloated, way too heavy. Did not age well.

6th gens? Hell yes, GIMME. Aside from that Fugly 2018 or 2019 nose debacle, the 6th gen is a great looking car, even though it still suffers from the same clostrophobic cabin design with the too tall belt line, tiny windows, and poor rear visibility. But as there is very little the 6th gen can't out-perform I suppose you don't need a rear view mirror. Certainly you aren't going to see any Mustang of similar price compete with the 6th SS 1LE, or ZL1.

For me the 6th gens did for the 5th gen what the 3rd did for the 2nd gen.

The 2nd gen was always a bigger, heavier car, but late in its life it was heavy, bloated, and slow. The 3rd gen was a much slimmer design with more power, and better performance all around. The 6th gen took the styling I liked about the 5th gen and got rid of almost all the negatives. It dropped several hundred pounds, it was taught, tighter, smaller, better performance in every metric.

That said, I'm probably buying C8 a few years down the road. Because I love that mid-engined Vette, even though I'm not a fan of the rear end, but I love the rest, and I love the specs.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:53 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ThePain
I actually disagree with this, I don't know if our cars are superior to "anything", perhaps similar cars of the era, but compared to 4th gens they're slow and inefficient. New cars today are just too fast, too comfortable, and more efficient; they blow our third gens away.

HOWEVER, I do agree with you on the style! whihch is why we're here talking about this in auto detailing and appearance. Our cars are ****ing sexy, and that's why I love them It may take us a while to get where we're going, but we'll look damn good getting there!
True the performance level and more importantly the accessibility of the performance is far and above in modern cars.

Where I fear to throw the GTA into a on-ramp roundabout at 60mph, I will fearlessly shove the Focus RS into the corner at speed that are frankly ludicrous. Some of it is the computers that step in to save your bacon. But a lot of it is chassis design and suspension geometry allowing a driver to be much more comfortable at the limit. It's so predictable I rarely fear throwing it into a corner hard. The AWD system does help, its extremely difficult to overpower the grip with just lead footed throttle.

The newer 6th gens are so well balanced and a true joy to drive.

The GT350 I drove at the Ford Media event was great. At Road America I got a few laps behind the wheel and even with just a few half laps (Turns 6-13) the GT350 was very accessible. I over-stepped myself at Canada Corner and got tail happy. It only took a tiny bit of correction to bring the back-end in-line without ever lifting. At no point did my heart ever jump down my throat thinking I might lose it.

Chassis communication is key to making a car feel great to drive. Newer performance oriented cars have much more development in this regard. Its become something MFG's are willing to spend time and money on.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:29 AM

f%$K the passengers convenience,i could give a rats *** how good a time the "passengers" are having.
statistically idiots text constantly,i see it at every single light.i see dead people,they do not need more
entertainment,they need a massive BOOT IN THE A$$....they need hand holding and its painfully obvious,
it sucks but there is not enough punishment for the stupid a$$holes that keep doing this,endangering
everyone around them.this isn't about "the man taking away our rights" its about stupid morons

idiotic pedestrians are another story,these mindless **** need to LOOK UP instead of on the phone
and walking through red lights,cell phones are turning people into zombies.its a f%^king cancer TBH.
you struck a nerve with this garbage,seriously i hate cell phones.everyone up everyone else's ***,
looking over everyone's shoulder.a dumb biatch walked across in front of me illegally jaywalking of course then started taking
pictures because i almost killed her because of what? her being on a cell phone like a retarded zombie twit.

buy a friggin gps ffs,$20-$50 it doesn't need internet ,wifi ,whatever.pull over,put it in park and use the phone.
seriously,we don't need any more entitled fools killing innocent people and whining about how they cant play
fortnight.cell phones need to die

i should ask ,are you a sovereign citizen? if people didn't act like spoiled children their rights wouldn't be in jeopardy
No,I'm just not a grumpy old man-bitch that needs daddy government to protect me from those darn kids and their cellphones !

People like you are the reason cars today have fiddy airbags, weigh a billion pounds, and are stupid expensive because of the extra safety bullshit. Yall are the the people who make red flag laws, dui checkpoints, TSA grope-points, and ask the question: If you have nothing to hide, why do you care if the government watches you?
Old 08-13-2019, 07:01 AM
ksr

Received 221 Likes on 158 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7 liter V-8
Transmission: 4 speed auto

Originally Posted by Thirdgen89GTA
True the performance level and more importantly the accessibility of the performance is far and above in modern cars.

Where I fear to throw the GTA into a on-ramp roundabout at 60mph, I will fearlessly shove the Focus RS into the corner at speed that are frankly ludicrous. Some of it is the computers that step in to save your bacon. But a lot of it is chassis design and suspension geometry allowing a driver to be much more comfortable at the limit. It's so predictable I rarely fear throwing it into a corner hard. The AWD system does help, its extremely difficult to overpower the grip with just lead footed throttle.

The newer 6th gens are so well balanced and a true joy to drive.

The GT350 I drove at the Ford Media event was great. At Road America I got a few laps behind the wheel and even with just a few half laps (Turns 6-13) the GT350 was very accessible. I over-stepped myself at Canada Corner and got tail happy. It only took a tiny bit of correction to bring the back-end in-line without ever lifting. At no point did my heart ever jump down my throat thinking I might lose it.

Chassis communication is key to making a car feel great to drive. Newer performance oriented cars have much more development in this regard. Its become something MFG's are willing to spend time and money on.

Clearly cars of today are light years ahead in technology. Even little econo-nothings like Civics are faster than a stock 3rd gen like the one that I own. No argument with you there.

I don't agree with the part about your fear of putting your GTA into an onramp at 60 mph. The first thing that made me totally hooked on 3rd gens was the handling. Sure, I was 19 when I first drove one and prior to that had been driving my Dad's second cars - Chevette and Citation - so the handling of a Firebird seemed pretty awesome But I still love the way the cars handle even today. My GTA is a stock '88 and I have no hesitation about accelerating on to a curving on ramp. Actually I live for those moments when I'm behind the wheel.

Of course it doesn't have the electronics that will correct for driver errors. That live axle will hop on rough pavement. But it still carves up a smooth road really, really well. The early '80s were a time when a lot of improvements were made in suspension and tire technology. The 3rd gens benefited from that and were really one of the first mass-market cars with modern handling characteristics. They were really standout handlers in their day and they still hold up pretty well. It's not a nimble car like the Focus that you mentioned, but that's a function of the size. 3rd gens are big cars, they're 16 feet long. They can handle very well, but there a fair amount of mass there. The handling requires more driver effort, but if you want to you can put some space between you and the cars behind you as your 3rd gen carves through a corner.

Last edited by ksr; 08-13-2019 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:13 AM
ksr

Originally Posted by dmccain
Man I loved 80s vehicles. Besides our Thirdgens, Fox Mustangs, Vettes, Monte Carlos, Grand Prixs, Regals, Cutlass, Jeep Grand Wagoneers, Dodge Power Wagons, Warlocks, Cyclones, .. on and on. Today's cars and trucks all look alike to me, not much in variation.
Couldn't agree more.

When you tell people that you liked American cars in the '80, they'll usually grimace because they're thinking of the quality issues. On that, they have a point. Quality issues really hurt cars of that decade, at least in the first half of it. It took GM quite a while to make the 3rd gens reliable (and the later ones were). But in terms of style, I think it was a great decade. Sure, I got a license in 1979, so the '80s were my coming of age in terms of cars and that biases me. But there were some great looking cars in that era.

Agree with the ones on your list, except for the Fox Mustang which always was a joke to me. The early Foxstangs looks like Fairmonts to me (which they pretty much were) and the later ones looked liked suped up Escorts. But obviously they were popular, though I never understood it. I'd also add the C4 Corvette, the last Toronado, Reatta, Allante, Fiero, Thunderbird, Daytona/Laser to your list. Maybe not all great cars (definitely not all great cars). But distinctive and good looking.

Last edited by ksr; 08-13-2019 at 07:18 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:36 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ksr

I don't agree with the part about your fear of putting your GTA into an onramp at 60 mph. The first thing that made me totally hooked on 3rd gens was the handling.

Of course it doesn't have the electronics that will correct for driver errors. That live axle will hop on rough pavement. But it still carves up a smooth road really, really well. The early '80s were a time when a lot of improvements were made in suspension and tire technology. The 3rd gens benefited from that and were really one of the first mass-market cars with modern handling characteristics. They were really standout handlers in their day and they still hold up pretty well. It's not a nimble car like the Focus that you mentioned, but that's a function of the size. 3rd gens are big cars, they're 16 feet long. They can handle very well, but there a fair amount of mass there. The handling requires more driver effort, but if you want to you can put some space between you and the cars behind you as your 3rd gen carves through a corner.
I agree.. I’m surprised how well my 88 IROC takes a corner. Compared to my Vette it seems like a much older car.. It has the creaks, rattles and build feel that reminds me of a 60s/70s car but when you take a corner it’s a modern feel right there with my 2017 Accord if not better. It’s not a tight, quiet ride like newer cars. It would feel more nimble if it didn’t feel so big... looking over that hood as you navigate tight spots definitely doesn’t feel like driving a modern Honda, it it does feel like a muscle car..
Old 08-13-2019, 08:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 239 Likes on 185 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

I agree.. I’m surprised how well my 88 IROC takes a corner. Compared to my Vette it seems like a much older car.. It has the creaks, rattles and build feel that reminds me of a 60s/70s car but when you take a corner it’s a modern feel right there with my 2017 Accord if not better. It’s not a tight, quiet ride like newer cars. It would feel more nimble if it didn’t feel so big... looking over that hood as you navigate tight spots definitely doesn’t feel like driving a modern Honda, it it does feel like a muscle car..
If you want to put the aftermarket parts on these cars and you don;t need many, you can get those creaks and rattles out and they really do feel like a new car! It gets rid of some of those reminders you get on how old the car actually is. These cars always had the technology, they just skimped on the parts used. Just look at the quality of the suspension parts used in modern cars. You may not get to the new car handling status but to me you get the best of both worlds, a great riding, handling sports car and that 3rd gen look which we all here really love.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:27 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by vinny R
If you want to put the aftermarket parts on these cars and you don;t need many, you can get those creaks and rattles out and they really do feel like a new car! It gets rid of some of those reminders you get on how old the car actually is. These cars always had the technology, they just skimped on the parts used. Just look at the quality of the suspension parts used in modern cars. You may not get to the new car handling status but to me you get the best of both worlds, a great riding, handling sports car and that 3rd gen look which we all here really love.
Some of the creaks and rattles involve taking the door panels apart and taping down and tightening anything loose.. I’ve seen some guys use sound deadening material. The body flex isn’t horrible but I know Sub Frame Connectors would go a long way... I think a corvette servo or shift kit could help the 700 R4 be a little more responsive.. The top is definitely not up to par with modern convertibles... I’m not even sure it’s possible to fix those rattles...

I like the old muscle car feel mixed with a little bit of modern fuel delivery, reliability and handling.. I don’t push the car too hard but every once in a while I’ll lean into a corner and I’m impressed..
Old 08-13-2019, 08:31 AM
ksr

You're right. There's enough creaking and looseness that my GTA doesn't feel totally modern. Being a hardtop, it's probably a lot tighter than your convertible. But if you're just looking at handling it's really pretty damn good and doesn't give up much to a modern car.

They were always limited a bit by the shear bulk. Not particularly heavy, but they're long and wide. When I bought my first Firebird in 1990, it replaced a Cavalier. The Cavalier wasn't a great handler, although it was decent with the sport suspension it had. But just being smaller gave it a certain nimbleness, like when maneuvering in a parking lot. That nimbleness might be considered by some to be better handling, and yeah it was easier to park (nice being able to see where your car ends). But on the road obviously no comparison.

There were advancements in the early '80s and I think our 3rd gens really were kind of at the beginning of a more modern phase in cars. I've driven sports cars from the '60s and '70s, and they really just don't handle. A friends '79 Trans Am (classic black with gold hood decals) was a nice enough car, but it didn't handle very well. It felt old, even when I drove it in 1986 when it was only seven years old. The 3rd gens were rated by some magazines as the best handling cars on the road when they came out, what with the Corvette being at the end of a very long generation. There were advancements in suspensions, and of course radial tires helped a ton. The first American car with radial tires wasn't made until 1970. Even in overall manufacturing, I think you can see advancements in the 3rd gens that weren't in prior cars. Some of the exterior panel fit in my GTA isn't very good. But overally, the way the panels fit together, the way the glass is mounted, the way the interior pieces fit together - there was definitely a step forward here that wasn't present in cars from the '70s and earlier. If only the Big Three had exercised better quality control over the mechanicals in the 1980s.

Last edited by ksr; 08-13-2019 at 08:37 AM.
88IROCvertZ (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 08:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 239 Likes on 185 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

Some of the creaks and rattles involve taking the door panels apart and taping down and tightening anything loose.. I’ve seen some guys use sound deadening material. The body flex isn’t horrible but I know Sub Frame Connectors would go a long way... I think a corvette servo or shift kit could help the 700 R4 be a little more responsive.. The top is definitely not up to par with modern convertibles... I’m not even sure it’s possible to fix those rattles...

I like the old muscle car feel mixed with a little bit of modern fuel delivery, reliability and handling.. I don’t push the car too hard but every once in a while I’ll lean into a corner and I’m impressed..
There is not enough aftermarket parts in China to help our tops!
Old 08-13-2019, 04:28 PM

Old 08-13-2019, 04:42 PM

oh no,the poor pedestrians lost cell phone usage,they need a safe "wifi" place asap.
i need my phone,i need my phone ,what am i going to do???? HOW ABOUT LOOKING UP FFS.

you are all over the place,trying to play two sides of an argument without anything valid to say.
cell phones and driving are a serious problem,get it thorough your head....your conspiracy bull$hit
in regards to whatever else you've been saying are laughable...do you think the earth is flat too,lololoollolollol
Old 08-13-2019, 05:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 721 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

CATFISH
Old 08-13-2019, 09:26 PM

oh no,the poor pedestrians lost cell phone usage,they need a safe "wifi" place asap.
i need my phone,i need my phone ,what am i going to do???? HOW ABOUT LOOKING UP FFS.

you are all over the place,trying to play two sides of an argument without anything valid to say.
cell phones and driving are a serious problem,get it thorough your head....your conspiracy bull$hit
in regards to whatever else you've been saying are laughable...do you think the earth is flat too,lololoollolollol
Just because you don't like what I said doesn't make it invalid, I think you're mad I exposed you with simple, logical reasons why your idea is $hit **** <3.

I'm sorry the mean cell phones hurt you
Old 08-13-2019, 09:33 PM

its not that i didn't like what you said,its what you said had little to no meaning.

your idea of logic is like a college students desperate need of a safe space my friend,everything
you think im to blame for you are in favor of,you are the tech lover ,you want the invisible
hand cuffs,the nice cell phone so you can pick up your girlfriends tampons and keep tabs on everything.
the really sad thing is you pay close to $100 a month for that absolute garbage.....paint your car ffs.

seriously,if you cant live without fondling a cell phone for ten minutes,you have issues that aren't easily resolved.
im done,i said my piece and you said nothing other than repeating yourself embarrassingly.no challenge,gfys.....
Old 08-14-2019, 12:09 PM
Supreme Member

I found the cell phone solution...

The Bugatti Chiron in addition to doing over 263 MPH also has double pane glass to reduce noise in the luxurious cabin... Well that also makes it so cell phones don’t work... You have to put Cell phones in a cubby behind the radio where it can use the car’s antennae hidden in the windshield to get reception forcing the driver to use the hands free system..

That could be a new automotive standard... ha ha

It kills me watching people with brand new expensive cars with built in hands free not using it..
Old 08-14-2019, 12:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 748 Likes on 507 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

Those bugattis are soooo ugly.. front looks like a updated ford edsel
1986BANDIT (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 12:48 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by TTOP350
Those bugattis are soooo ugly.. front looks like a updated ford edsel
I agree.. I don’t find most exotic cars to be super attractive... I find it interesting to learn about how crazy they are, but would never buy one, even if I was a billionaire...

I am interested in the C8 as far as that type of car goes..
Old 08-14-2019, 07:58 PM

thank you
now lets implement it.if people were bright enough to not text while driving it wouldn't be an
issue but the general public keep proving they can not be trusted with very simple tasks
and basic instructions.i don't see a reason why this doesn't happen asap,im sick of over
paying for insurance because of idiots who are not capable of using basic common sense.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 408 Likes on 295 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Posi

i don't see a reason why this doesn't happen asap.........

......im sick of over-paying for insurance because of idiots who are not capable of using basic common sense.
.....as am I. I have never suffered fools gladly, and I don't plan on starting to do so any time soon.

But it's not gonna happen. The two major cell service providers in this country have deep connections in Congress; legislation forcing restrictions on cell usage would cost them (service providers) $$$, so there won't be any relief in that regard. Additionally, no auto manufacturer (at least none that sells more than a couple hundred cars a year) will take it upon itself to include something in it's vehicles that restricts cell usage; if they did, the general public would run away from their cars in droves.

We'll just have to face the fact that driving on public highways is now more dangerous than ever, and that our only option is to drive defensively. You can't drive the other guy's car; you can only control your own.

Money changes everything.

Last edited by ironwill; 08-15-2019 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:56 PM

the only successful way is to do it in one fell swoop,every damned car manufacturer on the planet simultaneously.if the cell is integrated with hands free and NAV ONLY
it would appease the idiots who cant live without checking in with whoever every 2-3 minutes and constantly having someone telling them what to do and were to go.

the general public doesn't seem to understand ,they will never get lost because everyone else tells them were to go,even if it is to "go f00k -themselves"

Last edited by 1986BANDIT; 08-15-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:40 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ksr
Clearly cars of today are light years ahead in technology. Even little econo-nothings like Civics are faster than a stock 3rd gen like the one that I own. No argument with you there.

I don't agree with the part about your fear of putting your GTA into an onramp at 60 mph. The first thing that made me totally hooked on 3rd gens was the handling. Sure, I was 19 when I first drove one and prior to that had been driving my Dad's second cars - Chevette and Citation - so the handling of a Firebird seemed pretty awesome But I still love the way the cars handle even today. My GTA is a stock '88 and I have no hesitation about accelerating on to a curving on ramp. Actually I live for those moments when I'm behind the wheel.

I'm not referring to mechanical grip or nimbleness. A third gen an easily get 1G+, there are numerous magazine articles.

But to actual chassis feedback feed back from the tires. Thirdgen's are numb in comparison to today's cars. Modern cars offer much more detail, and that increases driver confidence in speed and placement. It is much easier to gauge how much further you can push a modern car than a third gen. There are a great deal of contributors to that.

I have a ton of suspension goodies on my GTA, If it bolts onto the car its been replaced with something better.
1986BANDIT (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 511 Likes on 428 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars

the only successful way is to do it in one fell swoop,every damned car manufacturer on the planet simultaneously.if the cell is integrated with hands free and NAV ONLY
it would appease the idiots who cant live without checking in with whoever every 2-3 minutes and constantly having someone telling them what to do and were to go.

the general public doesn't seem to understand ,they will never get lost because everyone else tells them were to go,even if it is to "go f00k -themselves"
Old 08-15-2019, 09:54 PM

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 6.2L
Transmission: Stage III T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Originally Posted by JimRockford
I pulled up to a light alongside a new Camaro today and just sat there looking at this slab sided,clunky suv sized looking thing next to me and had to shake my head wondering why anyone would buy one and why the designers at GM would even come up with something that looks like a ghetto tonka toy.

I couldn’t find one thing about it I liked. For starters the proportions are terrible.the car has giant,slab sided doors and body panels that create an ungainly wall like appearance. they made the side windows very small and narrow in a failed attempt to make the car look “lower” and more sporty and then in keeping with the stupid “huge rim” trend,they have the giant ghetto wheels which further enhance the bloated appearance.

there was another member here,whose name I can’t recall,who had commented that they looked like a whale on wheels,and I have to say I agree. I don’t care how fast something is if it’s ugly. In my opinion they third generation camaros and trans ams look like Ferraris compared to these new ghetto-retro attempt camaros.

The Camaro isn’t the only one that suffers from this bloated design issue,those new dodge challengers and mustangs all have this thick,heavy look. The challenger being the worst of the two.

It’s weird pulling up to one of those massive things and having to look up to see the driver. Sadly I don’t see this trend reversing itself any time soon.

I just don’t understand the appeal. I personally also don’t like the whole lazy “retro” remake car thing anyway,where they take something cool and beautiful and dumb it down for today’s world. It’s like taking a rattle can to a Rembrandt.

I love the original Challenger,Camaros,Firebirds,etc and think instead of the auto makers doing these retro remakes they should try coming up with something original,like the third gens were in their time.

there used to be a time when automakers created works of art and had products that would inspire desire and drive people into the showroom. Those cars are all now rightly regarded as classics. If this is the best the designers can do today it’s truly pathetic.

anyone else agree?
I bought a 2019 2SS, 2 days ago. I absolutely love everything about it. The technology, engineering, and power is amazing. I love my IROC! But I'm gonna guess that 10 years from now my 2019 will be the car that I like the most of the 6 Camaros I've owned
Old 08-15-2019, 10:40 PM

Wow, i just went back and read some of these replies. Lots of misinformation, and strong opinions. People are posting pics of other generations and using some unflattering photos and then using a flattering picture of 3rd gens. Ok, we get it, you love your 3rd gen. But at least be honest with yourself. Post a picture of a 35th anniversary WS6 or SS. Or the 30th anniversary WS6 that was rocking the blue wheels. Those cars looked awesome. There were lots of terrible looking models made during the 3rd generation time period. I'll stop there because some of you may be driving them.

The reason Camaro sells are down...let me stop there. ALL 3 (Camaro, Mustang, Challenger) are declining. It has to do with the market and not the styling. People dont want to spend money on a vehicle like this. SUV sales and pick ups are where the money is at. Everyone wants one and everyone thinks they need one. I honestly think that at some point they will stop mass producing these high performance cars (the big 3) and will start making more high performance version SUVs and pick ups.

Maybe some of you don't realize what all comes in the 6th gen Camaros. When I put my car in reverse, i can switch my rear view to make the entire mirror my back up camera on top of my radio showing me too. They have an option for coming with a LINE LOCK! Crazy!! 4 different modes for driving. I learned today that my first 2 days of owning mine, I had been driving in sport mode. I swapped to Track mode... just insane how the car changed. It's like the car had a mind of it's own and thought it was on a race track.

The cars got bigger because the cars are on a platform that is larger and part of that is due to all the things the car offers. Air bags and endless technology. My 2SS has a 10 speed auto with paddle shifters. If that had been offered back in the 80s, this would be your religion.

I loved my 4th gen. It was a Z/28 with the "sport appearance " package which was mistakenly referred to by "camaro fans" as the RS package. I loved the spoiler and ground effects that came with that package on my Z/28. The LS1 and 6 speed was an incredible duo and set the standard at that time across the board.

One thing I havent seen mentioned here in regards to GMs "downfall" with the Camaro. When you go to a Ford dealership and say you want to buy a Mustang, they will fight tooth and nail to get you in one. If you go to a Chevy dealership and try to buy a Camaro, the enthusiasm is not there. They dont praise the Camaro and will often times steer you in another direction (type of vehicle) Its been the overall culture of Chevrolet for decades and I dont know why. It happened to my wife and I've seen it when I sold cars years ago.

Competition among automakers have driven these 3 cars to where they are today and I like it. They're super fast, loaded with all sorts of goodies and are well rounded cars. Decades ago it was just about hp and a drag race. Now it's that plus the Nuremberg and gas mileage.

10... freaking... gears.... with paddle shifters!!!
Old 08-15-2019, 10:47 PM

Old 08-15-2019, 10:48 PM

Old 08-15-2019, 10:50 PM

Old 08-15-2019, 10:52 PM

Mine

Old 08-15-2019, 10:57 PM

come on dude
Old 08-15-2019, 11:39 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC
Engine: 350
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Styling is long gone. It actually went away in the early 60's. Not to say there are not good looking cars now and over the years, but the cars built back in the 50's-60's were meant to entice you into wanting them. Now it's more of what features it has to offer. The interiors were fabulous. The exteriors were not cookie cutter to each other. They dared to be different. The 3rd gen is a nice looking car. I get compliments on it and people "dig" it. Not a 4th gen fan except for the Trans Am. I do like the early 5th gens but then they went too import looking for my taste in later years. I have thought about an early 5th gen for my next purchase or a C6. Probably more likely go with a C6. Always wanted a Vett with a 6 speed and with the new 2020 coming out they will drop even more in price. Should be able to get a very nice C6 for low 20k range.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:09 AM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56

I don't know what the market research says, but I'd suspect that the Camaro appeals mostly to young men. I'd bet the Mustang has a much wider range of appeal, which is why it sells better.

Personally, I view a pony car as a toy and not my primary vehicle. A toy is bought with expendable income. I make a really good living and I won't go buy a new car just to have as a toy. They're too damn expensive! It's no wonder they don't sell well.

The vast majority of people don't care about lap times around a road course, they just want a practical car that goes like hell when they push the throttle. I think the upcoming sport SUV trend is going to be a big hit with a lot of people.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:32 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC
Engine: 350
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
I don't know what the market research says, but I'd suspect that the Camaro appeals mostly to young men. I'd bet the Mustang has a much wider range of appeal, which is why it sells better.

Personally, I view a pony car as a toy and not my primary vehicle. A toy is bought with expendable income. I make a really good living and I won't go buy a new car just to have as a toy. They're too damn expensive! It's no wonder they don't sell well.

The vast majority of people don't care about lap times around a road course, they just want a practical car that goes like hell when they push the throttle. I think the upcoming sport SUV trend is going to be a big hit with a lot of people.

Honestly the new Mustang is just a flat out better looking car than the new Camaro. DON'T BAN ME!
It's a SUV world but wait until the price of gas hits the 4 buck range again and people will be ditching them.

Quick Reply: Anyone else feel that after the third gen design the Camaro & Firebird went downhill