Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Fender Repair Steps.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fender Repair Steps.....

After a year with a dented front fender I decided to do it myself. I hammered the dent out and with hammer and dolly the overall shape is back to an acceptable place. I had to use a slide hammer and there are several holes as well to deal with. The next steps will be to smooth, primer and paint. This is where I am not sure.

Is there a step by step guide with pics to show me how to proceed? Has anyone done this themselves that can give me some ideas?

Jim
Old 08-31-2003, 07:05 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990 Formula
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: WC T5
Here are some pointers.

1. If possible weld shut the holes from the slide hammer. Over time the paint will lift/bubble over the holes.

2. Make sure areas that have to be leveled are sanded with 60 -80 grit.

3. Apply body filler to the low areas first in thin coats 1/16".

4. Use at least a 9" sanding block and when sanding start with 80 -120 grit keep block parallel with ground and sand diag. across area. You will see the low and high spots forming. If low you may need to put more filler in that area to start.

5. As you approach the shape that you want I usually spray a guide coat of primer,black, lightly over the area and you will see where the high spots are because the primer will come off in those areas and not in the low spots. Sand until all of the guide coat is gone. Then do again till all of the primer is removed when sanding in a short period of time.

6. Some times I will use a 1.5 foot board about 2" wide with self stick adhesive on it to really level out the are if it is possible. However on a fender there are alot of curves and It probably will not be feasable.

Good luck