Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

dash removal help

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 11:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dash removal help

I have done a lot of searchng and found some good info, but still have a few questions that I am unsure of for dash frame removal :

1. I assume you have to disconnect the wire harness from the firewall (bulkhead connector) and the computer harness to get the dash out. Is this correct? What about the fuse box wiring, do you have to remove the fuse box?

2. The heater box does not have to come out first does it? If not, will the vent ducting easily separate from the box when removing the dash (not sure how they are attached)?

3. The AC/defroster ducting is attached to the back of the dash and comes out with the dash, correct?

4. Can the whole dash wiring harness stay attached to the dash, or do you have to remove that to get the dash out?

thanks, any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 RS Camaro
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.73
i just pulled the dash out of my 89 rs today its not too hard if you get everything disconnected and label the connectors before you try to pull it.

1. yes you have to disconnect the wiring harness from the firewall and computer. the fuse box comes out attached to the dash. also part of the wiring harness runs down behind the drivers side kick panel and down the door jamb under the carpet all the way to the back of the car. these are the wires to your rear speakers, fuel pump, rear defrost, and tail lights. these wires do not have a connector that you can disconnect from the main harness inside the dash. so you will have to pull these wires with the dash too.

2. no the heater box does not have to come out first and you can pull the dash right off the heater box ducting without damaging the seal.

3. yes

4. yes it can all stay in the dash

if you run into any problems ill be glad to help as much as i can
Old 08-13-2006, 08:38 PM

thanks for the reply. Still just a bit confused though. What all stays on the firewall? You were saying the heater box stays but the ducting comes off with the dash and the seal doesn't get damaged? Not being able to see it right now I am just trying to picture that. Does the dash just come straight out towards the seats or do you have to move it in awkward directions to get the ducting off the heater box?

thanks.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 RS Camaro
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.73
just pull it straight towards the seat. the ducts should come straight out. its hard to explain how the seals are, the ducts fit together with this foam stuff around them to seal them. you will see what im talking about when you pull it.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
I just removed mine over the weekend.

Basically you remove all the screws along the top and bottom.
Unhook the connector on the firewall, and any other wires that connect to anything on the car (hatch release, wire that goes to the auto transmission lever ect)

It helps to drop the sterring column, makes it easier to pull on it. Now just make sure you have everything unplugged, and start to slowly pull it off. Double check there isnt' anything still connected.

The ECM on mine did not have to be removed.

The heater box does not need to be removed to get the dash off.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:57 PM

ok, thanks for the replies and help guys. I hopefully will be giving this a go shortly.....hopefully all will go well! May have more questions when I get at it.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:59 PM
Supreme Member

what year is your Camaro?
Old 08-14-2006, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by cdoyle
what year is your Camaro?
85....but it's a firebird
Old 08-14-2006, 06:06 PM
Supreme Member

should be about the same.
Mine was an 84 and everything just came right out. Pretty easy, just make sure you got everything unhooked before you try and walk away with it (lol)

Going to try and put a 92 dash in mine, and I notice a lot more wires on the newer dash