Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

1990 Camaro - factory front plate mounting question

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 Camaro - factory front plate mounting question

Hi,I recently bought a very clean 1990 camaro rs. It's never had a front plate mounted on it,but it's required in California.
does anyone have a photo of the correct factory mounting assembly? How exactly does it mount to the black plastic grille? There are no holes there except where the grille mounts.
I have a plastic front mounting assembly from an earlier 80's camaro but it doesn't look correct for the car. I assume they changed the mounting assembly when they altered the grille
Old 01-01-2018, 08:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: stock
Re: 1990 Camaro - factory front plate mounting question

I've got a couple of the front mounting plates and I think the screws also I'll sell for reasonable if you want. I'm in California too so shipping is not much. Get me your email address for pics and other info
Henry
Old 01-03-2018, 02:48 PM

Can you post a photo of it here? If it's the same as the one I have from an earlier 80's Camaro I don't need it. Also how does it mount to the grille? There are no holes for one in my black grille
Old 01-03-2018, 04:35 PM
Supreme Member

Does it say Z-28 between the two top holes? If so you probably have the right one. The holes are pretty hard to see
Old 01-03-2018, 11:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_Knight
Also how does it mount to the grille? There are no holes for one in my black grille
Self drilling screws. If a plate has never been mounted, there wouldnt be any holes.

Drilling holes to mount a stupid front plate is painful, but at least it's not a Firebird, they get the holes drilled right into the front bumper cover.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:39 AM

Yes,it says "z28" at the top. I will post a photo later.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Drew
Self drilling screws. If a plate has never been mounted, there wouldnt be any holes.

Drilling holes to mount a stupid front plate is painful, but at least it's not a Firebird, they get the holes drilled right into the front bumper cover.
thanks for the info Drew. I have a couple Trans ams and refuse to drill holes in the noses for the stupid front plate. This is my first Camaro though and I'm using it for a daily driver. The thing is near showroom new looking and never had a front plate mounted. I had a fix it ticket for no front plate on one of the trans ams and didn't want to deal with that bullshit on the camaro.
So basically the plate holder gets screwed into the black plastic grille? There are no factory made mounting holes? Is there a template for it?
Old 01-04-2018, 08:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1985 Z28 & 1997 Z28 SS SLP
Engine: Sbc 305 TPI & LT1
Transmission: 700r4 and A4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt Posi 323 & Posi 323

thanks for the info Drew. I have a couple Trans ams and refuse to drill holes in the noses for the stupid front plate. This is my first Camaro though and I'm using it for a daily driver. The thing is near showroom new looking and never had a front plate mounted. I had a fix it ticket for no front plate on one of the trans ams and didn't want to deal with that bullshit on the camaro.
So basically the plate holder gets screwed into the black plastic grille? There are no factory made mounting holes? Is there a template for it?
Fwiw, I was able to get a collector plate here in Oregon as the car is 25+ years old, only required to have back plate, I've been doing this for many cars after moving here from Los Angeles 15 years ago. Don't know the rules where u r at, but I don't like a front plate,
Old 01-04-2018, 08:55 AM
Supreme Member

Yep, just hold it up in place and mark the holes. If you want to get fancy, I want to say there are reinforcements molded into the plastic where the screws thread in. If you pop the grill off the car, and look on the back side you might see them. However it's been a REALLY LONG TIME since I had a RS grill in my hands. I'm sure in most cases they were just held in place and power tooled to the grill.

Obligatory 15 year old photo from the last time I had an RS grill off a car.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Lakerman62
Fwiw, I was able to get a collector plate here in Oregon as the car is 25+ years old, only required to have back plate, I've been doing this for many cars after moving here from Los Angeles 15 years ago. Don't know the rules where u r at, but I don't like a front plate,
Out here in the land of fruits and nuts we have such luck. We still have to smog all cars after 75. The powers that be out here won't rest until all the "old gas guzzlers" are crushed and replaces with priuses.

i drove my trans ams for 20 years and never had an issue with no front plate until recently. Can you believe it,the cops out here charge $15 just to come out and verify the plate is on the car and sign off on the ticket
Old 01-04-2018, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Drew
Yep, just hold it up in place and mark the holes. If you want to get fancy, I want to say there are reinforcements molded into the plastic where the screws thread in. If you pop the grill off the car, and look on the back side you might see them. However it's been a REALLY LONG TIME since I had a RS grill in my hands. I'm sure in most cases they were just held in place and power tooled to the grill.

Obligatory 15 year old photo from the last time I had an RS grill off a car.

Thanks very much Drew. That's the same grille I have on my 90 rs. This car is so clean even the power window buttons and door lock buttons have perfect yellow writing on them. Even the drivers side door has no sag! Just push it lightly and it latches. That's why I bought it. It was owned by an airline pilot since new and he rarely drove it.

i hate to drill into the grille. At least it's a part that can be replaced
Old 01-04-2018, 02:43 PM
Supreme Member

Could always pick up an aftermarket grill and mount the plate to that and keep the original for a rainy day. Looks like the aftermarket grills have the holes marked. Seen a few stealth mount type setups with the plate mounted to a bracket that mounts under the front bumper.

Of course the best solution is to move to a non-commie state. California is the real problem.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:23 PM
Supreme Member

Well, mine has never had a front plate mounted but I can feel where one must have been once. If you center the plate and slide the lower mounting block into the bottom slot on the grill then you may be able to feel where screws once were. Or now you know where they go...
Ah, Californication, don't you just love it?