Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Hood and fender comparison between Camaros and Firebirds

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 01:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 511 Likes on 428 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars
Hood and fender comparison between Camaros and Firebirds

I have an 84 Trans Am. The fenders and hoods on Firebirds have a lower profile than Camaros. Would anyone have side-by-side pictures showing the differences between them? Or even one picture laid on top of the other?

My car will remain SBC with manual QJet carb. To get some airflow in the engine compartment (and let the hot air out), I will be swapping to a Ram Air hood. I would like to use a strut tower brace, but I have no way of knowing if it will fit, even with the RA hood. I have already abandoned the idea of keeping the dual snorkel air cleaner with any STB. An open element air cleaner should work fine without all that hot air.

BTW, does anyone KNOW what brand this hood is? I need to find the grilles.
My best guesses are Hawks or Duraflex.
The red TA pictured is very similar to mine.
Attached Thumbnails Hood and fender comparison between Camaros and Firebirds-mine.jpg   Hood and fender comparison between Camaros and Firebirds-my-ra4-hood-holes   Hood and fender comparison between Camaros and Firebirds-hawks.png   Hood and fender comparison between Camaros and Firebirds-duraflex-top-andys-auto   Hood and fender comparison between Camaros and Firebirds-005939-.jpg  

Old 06-19-2018, 02:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Hood and fender comparison between Camaros and Firebirds

I don't get why people think they need to let hot air out of the engine compartment. I mean has there suddenly been a boom of new cars with tons of cooling outlets in the hood? There's already a HUGE hole for hot air to escape under the car.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:03 AM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

I don't get why people think they need to let hot air out of the engine compartment.
With NO experimental data, or even any practical expertise, I would think that for guys running higher HP/bigger cubic inch engines you get get a measurable bump by running an open element, yet having cooler temps. Low pressure over the hood would actually pull air out, no? I wouldn't bet my car on a race because of it, or expect magically big gains, but I'd imagine there's value in it. Again....I don't really know....just spitballin.

I wouldn't sacrifice appearance for it though.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:38 AM
Supreme Member

OK. Look at that front end. Do you see ANY way for air to get IN? I don't.
And the only air getting into that engine compartment must pass through the radiator, and IT GETS HEATED on it's way through.
I removed the guts from that half-hood "bulge", half-a$$ed induction to let hot air out. It helped some. I also replaced those solid pieces in the front bumper for the grilles. They are now falling apart. So the solid pieces will be going back in.
The SLP headers & exhaust added even more heat.
All of that heat dries all the plastic and rubber out faster, making it brittle. It shortens the life on everything else.
And I'm not OK with 230 degree water temps being considered normal.
I just read on here a few days ago about the "fan kit" GM had to blow on the carburetor. What a joke.
So let's just say it gets HOT under the hood. Too hot for my liking.
I don't have to worry about emissions anymore, so it's going to be like a 70s musclecar under the hood when I'm done.
With room for air - cool air!
I can't wait to get rid of the 2 garbage cans full of wiring and hoses that run back-and-forth all across the engine.
So much that you can't even see the engine.

Last edited by NoEmissions84TA; 06-20-2018 at 03:42 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 94 Camaro
Engine: 3.5 turbo
Transmission: Performabuilt 4l60E
Axle/Gears: Strange rear, 3.42

Originally Posted by Drew
I don't get why people think they need to let hot air out of the engine compartment. I mean has there suddenly been a boom of new cars with tons of cooling outlets in the hood? There's already a HUGE hole for hot air to escape under the car.
Cooler under hood temps are always a good idea for performance. If you look at most newer autos the intake manifolds are now made of some kind of plastic or composite materiel so the intake air temps stay cooler. The last I heard heat rises so any opening in the hood would let the heat escape.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:22 AM
Supreme Member

Received 748 Likes on 507 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

Originally Posted by NoEmissions84TA
OK. Look at that front end. Do you see ANY way for air to get IN? I don't.
And the only air getting into that engine compartment must pass through the radiator, and IT GETS HEATED on it's way through.
I removed the guts from that half-hood "bulge", half-a$$ed induction to let hot air out. It helped some. I also replaced those solid pieces in the front bumper for the grilles. They are now falling apart. So the solid pieces will be going back in.
The SLP headers & exhaust added even more heat.
All of that heat dries all the plastic and rubber out faster, making it brittle. It shortens the life on everything else.
And I'm not OK with 230 degree water temps being considered normal.
I just read on here a few days ago about the "fan kit" GM had to blow on the carburetor. What a joke.
So let's just say it gets HOT under the hood. Too hot for my liking.
I don't have to worry about emissions anymore, so it's going to be like a 70s musclecar under the hood when I'm done.
With room for air - cool air!
I can't wait to get rid of the 2 garbage cans full of wiring and hoses that run back-and-forth all across the engine.
So much that you can't even see the engine.

Have the headers Jet hot coated.
Run a 160 t-stat and factory dual fan setup to work with that 160 t-stat. Also a factory aluminum/plastic tank rad will work well if yours still has the copper unit. If you have a garage, open hood after you get it parked..
That has helped me a lot.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:39 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by NoEmissions84TA
I'm not OK with 230 degree water temps being considered normal.
The only time my cars come anywhere close to 230* is sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, or a long wait in the drive thru on a HOT day. Most of the time, when the car is moving, the stock gauge shows 160-180*.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45

I agree the vents are unnecessary for cooling the engine bay. these cars only get kinda hot sitting at idle, driving down the road they're fine. Vents are only really gonna help you when you're moving which is a non-issue on a car with a properly functioning cooling system. dual fans would be a nice upgrade if you don't have them.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:20 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 3.4 grape
Cooler under hood temps are always a good idea for performance. If you look at most newer autos the intake manifolds are now made of some kind of plastic or composite materiel so the intake air temps stay cooler. The last I heard heat rises so any opening in the hood would let the heat escape.
Thanks, I thought about the heat rising thing after I finished posting.
I want my engine compartment something like this when I'm done.
Attached Thumbnails Hood and fender comparison between Camaros and Firebirds-final3af.jpg