Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

How do I adjust the rear hatch window?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do I adjust the rear hatch window?

I broke the edge of my spoiler on the driver side because it’s shifted and now my car looks even more like trailer trash haha. How do I fix it? If there’s a thread on this, can someone direct me to it? Thanks.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open
Re: How do I adjust the rear hatch window?

Sorry to hear this 86Lucile. What year and model? Do you have a picture of it?
Old 06-01-2019, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by DynoDave43
Sorry to hear this 86Lucile. What year and model? Do you have a picture of it?
Driver Side. Broke off from shutting the trunk too often.
86 Camaro Sport Coupe
Old 06-01-2019, 11:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,160 Likes on 653 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Drag Car
Engine: 383 on Ethanol
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Currie 9 inch

This is easier with a friend to help....

There are 4 hinge bolts per side. 2 that go through the glass that you can get to with the hatch open, and 2 inside the car underneath the plastic interior roof trim piece that runs right in front of the hatch. First, remove the roof plastic trim, its held on with 4 Phillip's head screws, then loosen all 8 hinge bolts with a 13mm wrench. Next, remove the rear ends of the hatch struts with an 8mm socket. Now, you can lower the hatch and move it around a little to line up the gaps. Once the gaps line up the way you like them, start tightening the nuts inside the car first. Then you can start raising the hatch carefully and tighten the nuts on the studs that go through the glass. Repeat as necessary until the hatch lines up. You may have to adjust the latch as well. Once you get it lined up good, reattach the struts and go!

I just did this by myself on my IROC a couple weeks ago. It's a pain in the butt by yourself. The damn glass weighs a TON with the struts removed. I used a broom handle to hold up the hatch while tightening the nuts
Old 06-01-2019, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by dagwood
This is easier with a friend to help....

There are 4 hinge bolts per side. 2 that go through the glass that you can get to with the hatch open, and 2 inside the car underneath the plastic interior roof trim piece that runs right in front of the hatch. First, remove the roof plastic trim, its held on with 4 Phillip's head screws, then loosen all 8 hinge bolts with a 13mm wrench. Next, remove the rear ends of the hatch struts with an 8mm socket. Now, you can lower the hatch and move it around a little to line up the gaps. Once the gaps line up the way you like them, start tightening the nuts inside the car first. Then you can start raising the hatch carefully and tighten the nuts on the studs that go through the glass. Repeat as necessary until the hatch lines up. You may have to adjust the latch as well. Once you get it lined up good, reattach the struts and go!

I just did this by myself on my IROC a couple weeks ago. It's a pain in the butt by yourself. The damn glass weighs a TON with the struts removed. I used a broom handle to hold up the hatch while tightening the nuts
This makes everything so much more clear. I tried adjusting the hinges on the glass and I never even thought about the struts or the trim piece inside near the glass. I was missing 2 steps out of the 3 I needed to do so hopefully it works now haha. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2019, 11:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,160 Likes on 653 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Drag Car
Engine: 383 on Ethanol
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Currie 9 inch

Originally Posted by 86Lucille
This makes everything so much more clear. I tried adjusting the hinges on the glass and I never even thought about the struts or the trim piece inside near the glass. I was missing 2 steps out of the 3 I needed to do so hopefully it works now haha. Thanks!

Yep, you won't gain a damn thing without unbolting the struts......they will just fight against you. The other 2 nuts behind the plastic roof panel will actually gain you a lot of movement. Well, it wont seem like a lot at the hinge......but that little bit at the hinge can make a huge difference at the back. I had to move the latch as well, and that is only 3 bolts. The latch was the easy part lol