Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

rear C6 Z06 brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Trans Am
Engine: 383 Accel ProRam single plain EFI
Transmission: t-56 Spec #3
Axle/Gears: 4 gen 3.73:1
rear C6 Z06 brakes

anybody have installed stock 13,4'' rotors with the 4 pistons calipers?? I will be glad for any pics especially bracket and e-brake-drum stuff.

thanks
Old 09-16-2010, 05:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: rear C6 Z06 brakes

Originally Posted by 3genpio
anybody have installed stock 13,4'' rotors with the 4 pistons calipers?? I will be glad for any pics especially bracket and e-brake-drum stuff.

thanks
I don't know about all C6 calipers, but a lot of them were made in a factory in China. For myself, if I am travelling @ high speed and need to stop quickly I would want my calipers to be made right here in the USA. Thats just my opinion, that and $1.00 will buy you a cup of coffee @ Mickey Ds.

There is more to a caliper then just the number of pistons. If a caliper has "flex" during it's clamping action against the rotor you are losing lots of braking force as compared to a caliper that might only have 2 pistons in it and doesn't flex at all. The S-10 rear disc setup, Wildwood factory upgrade calipers in the front along with the Hydroboost setup will make your F body stop on a dime. I believe the PBR calipers are still made here in the USA.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 350 ZZ4
Transmission: TKO-600

i'm going to have to say that a z06 stops pretty damn well. And I cant say for sure about the rears, but I do know that the front calipers are made by brembo who is more than proven.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by rlewi771
i'm going to have to say that a z06 stops pretty damn well. And I cant say for sure about the rears, but I do know that the front calipers are made by brembo who is more than proven.
You are correct about both items, Z06s do stop well and Brembo makes the front calipers. Brembo doesn't make the back calipers, they are made in China. 70% of your stopping ability comes from the front brakes. That is why the Z06s use Brembos in the front.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: '91 TA vert
Engine: turboLSx
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Originally Posted by houstonvett
You are correct about both items, Z06s do stop well and Brembo makes the front calipers. Brembo doesn't make the back calipers, they are made in China. 70% of your stopping ability comes from the front brakes. That is why the Z06s use Brembos in the front.
Except Z06s don't use Brembos in the front. They use PBRs, just like the rear.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by iansane
Except Z06s don't use Brembos in the front. They use PBRs, just like the rear.
The Z06s in the C6 Vettes isn't the top dog HP car from the factory. The ZR1 version of the C6 was the HP version and got all of the top line goods. The Z06 wasn't the car the ZR1 was from the factory. The price difference was pretty big between the 2 models. Close to 25K if I remember right. I believe the better brake system came on the ZR1 model. Lots of race guys wouldn't use the Z06 setup on the track. That is why you see them cheap on Ebay. Corvette Forums has a big road race section and there is lots of information there about brake setups.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Trans Am
Engine: 383 Accel ProRam single plain EFI
Transmission: t-56 Spec #3
Axle/Gears: 4 gen 3.73:1

I don't know about all C6 calipers, but a lot of them were made in a factory in China. For myself, if I am travelling @ high speed and need to stop quickly I would want my calipers to be made right here in the USA. Thats just my opinion, that and $1.00 will buy you a cup of coffee @ Mickey Ds.

There is more to a caliper then just the number of pistons. If a caliper has "flex" during it's clamping action against the rotor you are losing lots of braking force as compared to a caliper that might only have 2 pistons in it and doesn't flex at all. The S-10 rear disc setup, Wildwood factory upgrade calipers in the front along with the Hydroboost setup will make your F body stop on a dime. I believe the PBR calipers are still made here in the USA.

I do already have a discs, pads and calipers from C6 Z06 i know they are PBR as well as fronts (not brembo) i just need a diagram of plate or pictures of them instaled, fyi I have a good fronts (14''Brembo) and not bad rears- (12''C4 PBR) but it is looking stupid for me, the 12'' rear disc in 19'' rim looks like a toys, ..... so the C6 Zo6 rears can`t be worst than 12'' c4`s

thanks
Old 09-18-2010, 01:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: '91 TA vert
Engine: turboLSx
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23

The Z06s in the C6 Vettes isn't the top dog HP car from the factory. The ZR1 version of the C6 was the HP version and got all of the top line goods. The Z06 wasn't the car the ZR1 was from the factory. The price difference was pretty big between the 2 models. Close to 25K if I remember right. I believe the better brake system came on the ZR1 model. Lots of race guys wouldn't use the Z06 setup on the track. That is why you see them cheap on Ebay. Corvette Forums has a big road race section and there is lots of information there about brake setups.

I was going to type out a response but I think that sums it up nicely.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 GTA
Engine: Ls1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.27

Actually I believe that PBR are an Australian company, and they do make good stuff. The Z06 uses PBR brakes front and rear, not brembos. The ZR1 has carbon ceramic discs, not sure of the brand they use on it though