Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Review - StopTech Sport Pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 12:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 193 Likes on 167 Posts
Review - StopTech Sport Pads

Put on some StopTech Sport pads today on my day off. Before I put them on, I hit the rotors lightly with some 600 grit sand paper and then cleaned with acetone. Car is a 1971 Camaro with essentially a C4 Vette brake system (and older Baer conversion kit).

When I first went out of the garage, I was a little worried bacause the brakes felt so mushy (I pumped them numerous times to reset the pistons since I depressed them to get the new pads in).

But as I started driving (very cautiously!) down the street, I could feel them start to grab better. Ended up driving around for about 5 miles and they kept getting better and better.

I have to say, wow what an improvement. Instant grab, and it feels very proportional after that. By the time I pulled back into the garage, it seemed like it was still improving, so who knows where it'll plateau.

What's also very nice is that the pedal effort at a stoplight is drastically reduced. That was always a bit of a gripe with this car (it wasn't terrible, but compared to newer cars, it was a little annoying). It's pretty much on par with my wife's '17 Inifnity QX60 now in that regard.

I was running Duralast Gold pads before this (and they were a little better than the factory Delco pads). But the StopTechs are far superior IMO.

Overall, the just "feel" of the pedal is better too...in fact I'm not sure exactly how to describe it. There's more of a firm reaction against my foot, a positive feel to it, if you will. Yeah, I can't describe it any better than that.... I just like the feel of it A LOT better than before.

And so far they're very quiet... no squealing or grinding or anything like that. Sounds totally factory. Though I did put on some disc break quiet goop on the metal backing plates.

Any rate, I'll be heading out to the local Bob's Big Boy show tonight, so I'll get some more driving in with it... we'll see if it improves even further! But even if it stays the way it is, I'm totally satisfied.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:24 PM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73
Re: Review - StopTech Sport Pads

Good to hear. How are they now?