Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Headunit Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headunit Question

The Wiz was having a 1/2 off Car audio sale on what they have left...So being the moron I am i bought this

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...0&I=130DEHP440

Since it only has 2 RCA outputs that means i can only use either 2 speakers and a sub or all 4 speakers and no sub?
Old 10-20-2002, 05:49 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
You can use all 4 speakers and a sub. You'll just end up with two of the speakers running off the headunit instead of an external amp. I suggest running the two rear speakers off of the headunit, so just plug those into the rear left and right speaker connections. Run the subwoofer RCA channel to your sub amp, and run the other RCA channel to the amp powering your front speakers. Realistically, for good sound quallity, all you need is a sub output and front speaker outputs. With the fronts, you can run them to a crossover powering a mid-bass and tweeter component set in the kickpanels on each side. You'd be amazed at how good it sounds.

[edit] Run the headunit in full-range mode instead of sub-out mode. Your sub amp will have a low-pass filter (I hope. If you don't have a sub amp yet, make sure this feature is included), so you won't need it on the headunit.

Last edited by CaysE; 10-20-2002 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-21-2002, 06:06 PM

please forgive me for I am a car audio n00b.

So my friend hooked up my headunit today. So if it only has 2 sets of RCA how does that work?

If i only use one amp for the sub and thats it, how would that work?

If i only use one amp the sub has power and front and rear and split and just all give the same sound out? If i get 2 amps and a crossover its actually in stero?
Old 10-21-2002, 06:09 PM

Incase i didn't state the headunit only has 2 RCA outs

one labeled FRONT with Red and white
and another just saying R and L..also red and white

So thats why i was confused on how all 4 speakers were hooked up while a sub was there as well.

So Front Rca-Amp-4x6's, and 6x9's?

Other RCa-Amp-Sub?
Old 10-21-2002, 06:45 PM

Jesse, head units have RCA outputs for flexibility, they do not power the speakers. Speaker level outputs power the speakers off of the head unit. If you are so inclined you can add external amps to your sound system. Since you have 2 sets of preamp outputs you can technically use 2 amps. What you choose to amplify is up to you. you could run a variety of combinations. Amp front and subs and run rears off of heaunit, amp subs and rears and run fronts off of head unit, run all the speakers off of the headunit and only use 1 amp to power subs.... It seems that you only are concerned with the RCA outputs. They do not physically power speakers. They send signal to an amp which inturn powers speakers.

- Andy
Old 10-21-2002, 09:25 PM

You will have 2 rca outputs, which are lower powered signal outs to goto an amp. Then you will have 4 speaker outs (front left, front right, rear left, rear right) which are internally amplified outs to run straight to the speakers.
Technically you only need an amp for your sub, but it will sound better if you use an amp for the speakers. Your realistic (in my opinion) options are as follows:
-run all 4 speakers off the headunit and use a 2/1 channel bridged amp for your sub
-run your front speakers (if you are using 4x6s, not components) off the headunit. Buy a 2 channel amp for your rear speakers and run your sub off the 2/1 amp
-run your 4 speakers off a 4 channel amp and your sub off the 2/1 amp
-run everything off a 4 channel + 1 dedicated sub channel
- buy kick panels or make door panel holes and buy components. Then run your component sets off of any of the options above that dont involve your front speakers powered off of the head unit. You could also just power your front components with an amp and leave your rear speakers powered by the head unit.
-not the simplest idea, but get a line level converter and hook it up to your speaker outputs so you can have more amplifiers. To put it simply, a line level just takes a signal amplified by the headunit and de-amplifies it to a signal usable by an amplifier.

I think I covered everything. hope I didnt confuse you or anything. If you have any more questions just ask!
greg
Old 10-21-2002, 10:29 PM

If i got component do i use those rather then the 4x6 in the dash?
Old 10-21-2002, 10:31 PM

Here is a link to the 6x9's i got

http://www.jbl.com/car/product.asp?p...er=GTS&cat=MEL