Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Another cd-changer thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Fox Body+Third Gen Cam
Engine: a few
Transmission: few more
Another cd-changer thread

I didnt want to hijack the other changer thread so I started this one.

Been thinkin bout a nice headunit from crutchfield but I've got a recent(last two or three years) Alpine changer sans wiring that my uncle had in his car for around a month or so before it got totaled. I found the whole FM mod,wiring, and remote setup for Alpines on ebay for like 35 bucks. I've never liked the idea of FM modulators and the one I did listen to once did not impress me for quality.

I'm just lookin to see what anyone else thinks about the quality of sound from these setups? Also realize that the stock headunit is probably not going to push aftermarket speakers very well and both right side speakers are dead(bad channels or shorted speakers). Just feel bad having a good changer sitting here with no purpose and a car with no cd player
Old 12-19-2005, 07:42 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Little confused, are you or are you not getting a new HU? Any how, your first step should be finding out what's wrong with the right side audio. More then likely the stock HU is the problem, but check the speakers as well. Next, if you're going to get a new HU, a new Alpine should control that changer, got the model# for the changer? Some will disagree on if the FM modulators sound that bad, I don't like them. But if you end up with something other then an Alpine HU, it's the way to go.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:37 PM

Car: Fox Body+Third Gen Cam
Engine: a few
Transmission: few more
Yea I was talking ...either or....I want a nice head unit but was considering the FM mod to save money and make use of this changer sittin in corner. I've always been convinced they didnt sound good.

I have this feeling the speakers could be bad on this car. My ex gf had a Lumina which had a bad right front channel which ended up being a right front speaker and the channel was fine. I figure its the same thing although my first thought was bad right channel off the radio. Could be either though