Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Clueless About Audio

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '02 T/A
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Clueless About Audio

Ive got a '88 Corvette. Car has a new Kenwood KDC-BT948HD headunit, alpine door speakers and 2 old alpine amps.
Im looking to replace the amps and also get a new subwoofer. It had an old 10' Kicker. Music will be rap and rock. I want something that can go stupid loud-not too worried about price. Any suggestions as to amps and subs? Since the car is small and a hatch is there a certain sub setup that would be ideal?

Last edited by armybyrd; 09-12-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: '87 Iroc
Engine: 350 TPI with Holley Terminator X
Transmission: 4L60e
Axle/Gears: Stock/ Factory
Re: Clueless About Audio

Well for rock you would want a 10" but since you have the rap part a 12" is what you want. One or two subs with help the amp choice, but a 1,000 watt amp will work perfect for one sub or two depends on what subs you get. and if you go to crutchfield.com and ask their tech team about box demisions and so on, they can help you from there. www.sonicelectronix.com is were I would buy your subs amps and head unit if you replace the one have(which i wouldn't Kenwood is good) but I like jvc better like this one http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...KD-R820BT.html but those two sites can help you pick out everything needed. Jesse
Old 09-15-2011, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 LG4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Some basic info: the bigger the sub, the lower it pounds. The more watts the sub and amp are rated for, the harder it pounds. For rap, you will want a 12" or even a 15" if you can fit it. I would suggest one good sub instead of two mediocre subs. IMO, Alpine is by far the best name for amps, and JL is the best for subs. Lots of people have different opinions than that, but thats just what I have found over the years.

I would build a box for the sub if I were you, but I don't know how exactly that would work in a Vette, I know it works great in my Camaro.

One thing that many people overlook is matching the amp and the sub. Theres no point in buying a sub that is rated for 1000 watts, and only buying an amp that can put out 600. Now, thats not to say that you shouldn't underbuy your amp, that's what I ALWAYS DO. Right now in my car I have a 800 watt max JL sub, powered by a 700 watt max Alpine amp. Thats so that there is really no possible way to damage the sub, no matter who plays around with your settings.

Another thing to take into account is that you do not want to run either a sub or an amp at max wattage, ever. Sub moreso, but making an amp "clip" can also damage it. Always try to run both at their RMS (root mean square) - the amount of watts that the amp or sub can run at most efficiently and sound the best.

For your application, I would suggest a 15" sub - if you can find a spot for it, they are pretty damn hard to fit anywhere. If not, go for a 12". As far as wattage, you will want a sub that can output 800-1000 RMS watts, not peak or max watts. You will want a "Class D" mono amplifier that can output 800-1000 RMS watts as well, but with lower peak or max wattage than the sub.

Hopefully that was easy enough to follow
Old 09-18-2011, 09:43 AM

Read some basics from bestbuys website. Still have some ?'s.
How do I know if I need 2 amps? I think I should be fine with one sub. Whats the difference on ohms when talking about subs?

Last edited by armybyrd; 09-18-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am looking for someone that can build a custom sub box for me ....NL so far
Old 09-18-2011, 08:01 PM

Can someone explain the difference in amps as far as different channels?
Old 09-18-2011, 09:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by armybyrd
Can someone explain the difference in amps as far as different channels?
For a sub amp, look for a mono class D amp. they are more efficient than a class A/B. A mono amp is 1 channel, and they are normally designed to go down to 1 ohm (some even can go down to half an ohm).

Also when choosing an amp, do not look at it's Max rating. You want to look at the RMS rating. Max means nothing, it could say 5000 Watts on the box. But only have an RMS rating of 200w.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro Iroc-Z
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Buy 2 12" IDMAX's (Image Dynamics) and a sundown audio amp with the watts to push them.

If you need to cheap out on the subs, get 2 12" SSA DCon's instead. Maybe a little kicker zx amp to push them
Old 09-22-2011, 07:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI / ZZ4 cam
Transmission: Stage 2 700R4, LS1 driveshaft
Axle/Gears: Strange 3.42 w/ Auburn

Originally Posted by armybyrd
Read some basics from bestbuys website. Still have some ?'s.
How do I know if I need 2 amps? I think I should be fine with one sub. Whats the difference on ohms when talking about subs?
Here are a few sites that will help you.

http://www.bcae1.com/
www.the12volt.com
www.diymobileaudio.com

Write down your questions and find a reputable stereo shop in your area. Be clear about what you want (boom sound, better sound quality, turn your car into a concert hall$$$) and your budget.

Speakers are very subjective, some like a detailed speaker while others prefer a more laid back sound. Make a test CD with different types of music you listen to.

Lastly, thionk about how you want your system to look. Think stelth, do you want to hide everything or do you prefer to have door buildout and big amp racks. Do you want to be able to use the trunk area? All these are factors you need to consider. Make a list and stick to your vision.