Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Double din head unit in a third gen

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double din head unit in a third gen

Posted here, not many people have noticed it, but I know this can be done, I want to put this JVC-KW-HDR720 in my third gen, what do I have to do, apart from the obvious of cutting the factory stereo panel to make it fit? Sorry to double post, thought this was an interesting topic, shouldn't have named the other post the name of the car stereo.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...KW-HDR720.html

Other post, here:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/car-...kw-hdr720.html
Old 02-11-2012, 04:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: LQ9/L92
Transmission: 4L60E
Re: Double din head unit in a third gen

get yourself a spare trim panel - if all goes wrong, at least you can convert back.

you'll want to fab up brackets to attach the radio to the console frame (like the factory).

some have moved the ac/heat controls up a bit to get more room to play with radio placement.

once the radio's in place, time to modify the trim bezel. cut where you need to get around the radio. if you're trying to make everything good, you'll probably need plastic epoxy & some spare plastic pieces to get any open spots or gaps around the radio. may want to sand everything smooth and hit it with a textured primer to get the finish uniform. paint and done.

planning on doing this in my 4th gen dash when the swap's done, be prepared to put in some time if its your first time and a perfectionist.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Double din head unit in a third gen

Yeah, I like things to be done proper, I saw where someone covered such a mod in 3m carbon fiber tape. Stupid if you ask me. But I'll find something to make it match. I use to know a site that sold a piece of plastic that could be used for hobbies that matched the texture of the factory plastic which would work as a somewhat tolerable fill piece.

My father is good at epoxying things, so I'll learn some from him. He patched the valance on the front of my brothers '92 Camaro, but my brother caught it on a curb and it split again.

I'm no perfectionist, I don't care about sloppy where it can't be seen as long as it isn't sloppy electrical or bracketing. The electrical and speaker wiring must be good, not perfect, but close enough that it's on par with factory. And the bracketing must be as good 'cause I don't want my radio to come loose.

I'm just glad that this is possible, I like that stereo, it's simple and it can look like it's in a factory hole if I install it right.