Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Need help with cd player install????

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2001, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: An '87 Italian Retard Out Cruisin'
Engine: LS1 install in progress
Transmission: 4L60e
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt
Need help with cd player install????

Just got a pioneer deh 77d cd player from crutch field which has 3 sets of outputs. I dont know crap about how to hook it up. The diagram is a little confusing to me. Here is the wiring diagram and a very basic diagram of how my car is hooked up right now (each sub has a seperate amp and the rest of the system is run off a third amp).
And i have a few questions

1)how do I hook up all 3 outsputs? Diagram only shows sub output hooked to one amp. I have two sub amps.
2) what the hell are those wires for in the red circle????? its a little hard to read but it says "To system control terminal of the power amp or Auto-antenna relay control terminal".
3) can you explain how you would hook up my system. Thanks

------------------

1987 Iroc 350
GTS headlight/tail light covers
Camaro SS Wheels w/Sumitomo HTR ZII 275 rear, 255's in front
K&N filters
Adjustable Borla cat back
Large tube runners
ported plenum
Holley afpr
SLP 1 3/4" headders (not installed yet)
FUTURE GOAL:
To go really F'in fast!!!

Some pics of it at
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...949&Auth=false

[This message has been edited by john5.7 87Iroc (edited February 02, 2001).]
Old 02-02-2001, 05:34 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
I can't see what the hell is in the red circle because the resolution is too low, but basically you want to go to Radio Shack or your local car audio shop and buy a Y-connector. Use the same RCA output for both sub amps. You want them to always get the same signal.

------------------
The IROC Homepage
<A HREF="http://www.rit.edu/~jli4307/camaro" TARGET=_blank>
View the restoration of an 85 IROC</A>
"I didn't know a bored out Ford could go so slow" -Shenandoah
Old 02-02-2001, 05:41 PM

I have the same deck.The blue antenna,remote wire is the wire that goes to your amps to turn them on when you turn the deck on. It hooks up to the terminal on your amp that says remote. Use the sub out pre outs for one of your sub amps and use the rear pre outs for the other sub amp and the front for the third amp. The sub out pre outs have a low pass filter for them that you turn on with the deck when you get it hooked up. Your other sub amp will have to have a low pass filter- crossover for it because the other pre outs dont pass thru the low pass filter. It's a pretty neat deck with alot of cool features I'm very happy with mine. If you need help with the install let me know mine went pretty smooth. Later!
Old 02-02-2001, 05:49 PM

Yeah, actually Jim is probably right (Jim is always right),A y cable to get the same signal from the rear sub outs would be your best way, that way the signal for both of your sub amps would be the same and would pass thru the decks low pass filter.
Old 02-02-2001, 08:40 PM

So what I should do is connect the two sub amps together with a y connector. Then just use one of the other 2 outputs for the other amp and leave the third output empty? What exactly does a y connecter look like? I want to make sure I am buying the right thing. Sorry I know nothing about car stereo and am trying to learn by doing this myself.

Another question, Crutchfield sent me those wiring adaptors that connect to the wires that come with the radio. Now 2 of the wires positive and negative from the radio, are a smaller guage than the wires on the adapter is this all right?
Old 02-02-2001, 09:10 PM

You wont be connecting the two sub amps together, you use the Y cables to split the signal from the deck pre outs. You will need two Y cables,The cable looks like a Y, one end will have a male connector and the other end will have two female connectors.The male ends go into the deck pre outs and the female ends go to your RCA cables that go into your amps.Just go to Radio Shack,Circuit City or a stereo shop and they will set you up, when you see them you will be able to figure it out. You should'nt have a problem with the harness they sent you. The wires are close enough in size. I did'nt.
Old 02-03-2001, 01:19 PM

Heres where Im at right now. I just removed my old radio. What A damn mess. Wires that have been cut and put back together 3 or 4 times in different spots. Wires were also split to run to the radio and the equalizer that I am getting rid of.
Two more questions

1)about four of the old wires have fuses in their connections. They were added by who ever installed the old cd player that I am replacing. My new cd player only comes with one fuse on the power wire. Should I cut out the fuses or leave them in?
2)Back to the preout question. I discovered I have a crossover. Its underneith the amps so I never saw it. Heres how my preouts are hooked up now.( only one set on the old cd player) I drew it to explain it better. Should I hook up my new cd player like this? Then I wont need the Y connecter. Is there a better way to do it? I dont care if its harder I just want the best way.

[This message has been edited by john5.7 87Iroc (edited February 03, 2001).]