Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Any tricks to repairing coax cable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any tricks to repairing coax cable?

It seems that there's some damage inside a the coax cable leading from the box where the signal from my CD changer and antenna combine, and my deck. This cable is hard wired into the box, so it can't be replaced without replacing the whole box. I want to just cut the bad section out, and resplice the wires together again. Any tricks to doing this?
Old 10-08-2001, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2002 Camaro SS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 6 speed
Axle/Gears: GM 3.42
Aside from replacing the whole cable, there is only one other thing I think you can do, adn that would be to cut out the bad section and patch in a new piece.

If you have the proper tools (stripper and crimper) to terminate coax cable, you can cut out the part that is bad, put terminators (like cable tv plugs) on with a crimper, and then put a female-female adapter in between. This will only work if the coax is thick enough for a connector of that type.

You may also be able to find car anntenna connectors (any electrical / electronic store) and get a male and female terminator to put together.

Either way would have the same results, as long as the terminators are on tight.

The thing to remember about coax is you don't want to have any part of the line that is not covered by the shield, otherwise you will pick up lots of noise. So you couldn't use standard butt connectors or anything like that, or just solder the wires together around the patch.

Hope this helps...

------------------
=====================
1992 25th Anniversary z28 Convertible