Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Gas pours out of vacuum lines

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2001, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas pours out of vacuum lines

On my rebuilt L69 with rebuilt Q-jet carb, when I disconnect the vacuum lines cups full of gas pour out. What could cause this? Also I have to keep pumping the gas and keep it over 2000rpm to keep it running.
Old 10-03-2001, 07:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
And it gets gallons per mile instead of miles per gallon?

Sounds to me like you have a bad needle & seat. Either they're stuck somehow, or have dirt in them, or weren't installed correctly, or they're worn out, or maybe they're just messed up... in any case, the needle valve is not sealing, so the fuel level in the bowl is too high.

There's a possibility that you have a vacuum line hooked up wrong, or a defective vapor canister; applying vacuum to the tank vent might do something about like that.

------------------
"So many Mustangs, so little time..."
ICON Motorsports
Old 10-05-2001, 12:27 PM

I had that happen when I drove my camaro home from buying it. I took it apart, and found that it didn't have a fuel filter. On the 8 mile drive home, it dumped about 12 gallons of gas on a hot engine (didn't have coolant, either). If your car doesn't have a filter, I would buy one of the ones that just splice into your fuel line instead of fitting in the carb. They are bigger, so they can trap more dirt without clogging up. I had to cut the metal fuel line close to the carb, and splice the filter in there using rubber fuel line. If you don't want to see the filter for some reason, you could probably put it in close to the pump to keep it out of sight. I spent a couple extra dollars on the pretty one from the parts store so I could put it on top of the engine without wanting to puke every time I open the hood. Hope this helped you. Sorry it's so long.

------------------
Jeff

'85 Berlinetta, Special Beater Edition
Mods include a 4bolt 350 with 280*, .460 lift cam, Vortec heads, Comp Cams roller tip rockers, Edelbrock TES headers, no other exhaust . Also, rusted parts on all 4 corners, and crumpled fenders, thanks to the previous owner.
Old 10-16-2001, 03:05 PM

Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: WCT5
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 85 Berl:
...I had to cut the metal fuel line close to the carb, and splice the filter in there using rubber fuel line. ... I spent a couple extra dollars on the pretty one...so I could put it on top of the engine without wanting to puke every time I open the hood.
</font>
Uhhh, You bought the "pretty" one so you could hack on your nice looking factory fuel line, and you don't wanna puke every time you look at that atrocity? I would

Sorry, I couldn't resist

Clem