Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Bad choke?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 09:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro, 1986 Trans Am
Engine: 5.0L carbed and 5.0L TPI
Transmission: TH700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 and 3.27 posi
Bad choke?

I'm having a really frustrating problem. After cold starting my L69 in the morning, it bogs unless I put the pedal all the way to the floor and then it slowly sputters and gains rpm until I can drive normally. If I come to a stop, the rpms drop to around 400 and I have to step on it again to bring the rpms back up before it dies. This is accompanied by thick black smoke. After about 20 mins of freeway driving (if I'm not stuck in gridlock) the problem goes away and she runs like a dream. My very limited knowledge of carbed systems leads me to believe that the choke is not disingaging when the engine warms up. I am also getting around 12 mpg mostly freeway driving. Please help!
Old 09-18-2004, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 06 Envoy, 84 Fiero, 86 Camaro
Engine: 4.2 I6, 2.5 I4, supercharged 355
Transmission: 4L60E, Muncie 4 spd, T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.42's, 4.10's, 3.73's
Well assuming the rest of the carb. is in good condition I would say yes the choke will do that. How ever it could be 3 things, choke wire electronic chokes, choke adjustment may have moved/been set wrong or is in some way jamming shut, and lastly the choke is Dead. I would start by checking the choke wire if you have an electronic choke, however from the severity that you are describing I doubt it is that. Next check and make sure the choke moves freely that there is no binding or any area where it gets hung up in some way. if that is OK you can try setting it. By the book Open up you trusty chilton/Haynes and follow the directions. I usually wait for the car to cool overnight get up the next mornging loosen the screws and move the choke so it is just starting or is closed (the warmer it is out side the more less choke you want IE leaning towards the front of the car if I remember correctly just watch the butter flys on top of the carb which ever way you move the coke to open them is leaner.) on a 70 ish degree day I run 2 dots to the right of center. Lastly got to the parts store pick up a choke, out it on and set it. Now remember this is assuming there is nothing else wrong with your car. Good Luck and happy motoring.