Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

New carb, now Idle too high

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans am
New carb, now Idle too high

The carb I got is a holley 4160 (305 engine), The car starts right up but, the idle is way too high around 1500-2000. I messed with the idle screw which did nothing. I'm thinking its the timing, it had a qjet before this one and it ran ok the idle was around 600. Also the qjet was computer controlled, I Didn't put it there, someone made a carb swap and put it there. Also its vacuum advance distributor

I've read around on how to set the timing and it seems kinda hard. I'll have to go out and buy a timing light. Is my high idle problem timing related or the new carb cus it idled fine before
Old 01-26-2011, 08:40 PM

Re: New carb, now Idle too high

Well if you put a completely different carb on your engine, it could just be your new carb is crap, improperly adjusted, or just a bad match for your combo ( I don't know anything about the 4160 ). I'd say most likely it's a vacuum leak or your throttle is stuck open a bit for one reason or another. Does it always idle high even when warmed up?

Your problem is probably not timing related, but you should have your engine timed properly regardless. If you think timing a car is hard, you may want to consider trading in your tools for a payment on a brand new car with a warrenty. Seriously, if you think it's difficult, I think you may be just misunderstanding how it's done because it's Forrest Gump-like easy.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 camaro lt
Engine: soon 383
Transmission: 700r4

Originally Posted by BillyTheGoat
The carb I got is a holley 4160 (305 engine), The car starts right up but, the idle is way too high around 1500-2000. I messed with the idle screw which did nothing. I'm thinking its the timing, it had a qjet before this one and it ran ok the idle was around 600. Also the qjet was computer controlled, I Didn't put it there, someone made a carb swap and put it there. Also its vacuum advance distributor

I've read around on how to set the timing and it seems kinda hard. I'll have to go out and buy a timing light. Is my high idle problem timing related or the new carb cus it idled fine before
that carb has a fast idle screw under the electric choke open the throttle all the way and you can see it..it comes strait from Holley set up for like 1500 to 1800 for some reason!! i have the same carb and it did the same thing to me this will help
http://buylsparts.com/data/Products/...l/199R9881.pdf
Old 01-26-2011, 09:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 camaro lt
Engine: soon 383
Transmission: 700r4

are you always a ***?
Old 01-26-2011, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by vangogh4560
that carb has a fast idle screw under the electric choke open the throttle all the way and you can see it..it comes strait from Holley set up for like 1500 to 1800 for some reason!! i have the same carb and it did the same thing to me this will help
http://buylsparts.com/data/Products/...l/199R9881.pdf
thanks!!! I didn't even see it .
I'll adjust it in the morning and see how she runs
Old 03-28-2011, 04:16 PM

I adjusted the fast idle screw and it really didn't do much. But I think I found out why the idle is high.

When I installed the carb, I also put a spectre bracket for the throttle return spring. I used one of the bolts on the intake manifold, either I tightened too hard cracking the intake , or not tight enough leaving a gap.

OR a cracked head or block, I started the car up the other day and white smoke started coming out the exhaust, I could feel the steam so its gotta be coolant. I can't really see bubbles in the over fill bottle but, the radiator gets foamy, like soda.

Too much air seems to be getting in and also coolant is getting in the combustion chamber. There isn't any coolant in the oil though. I'm hoping its intake manifold related, I haven't driven the car long enough to make it run hot enough to crack a head and it never ran hot when I did drive it. I've only driven it maybe 10 miles this year and it always stayed cool.