Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Really Starting to Tick me OFF, Lack of EGR Equipped Hi-Performance Intake!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 08:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH350 for now
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Really Starting to Tick me OFF, Lack of EGR Equipped Hi-Performance Intake!

Like the title says. I am in the market for an intake "like" the Edelbrock Performer RPM. Something dual plane, Q-Jet, Higher "Performance" than the regular Performer, Z28, ZZ4, Etc. Yet I cannot find in any way shape or form something like that with a EGR!

Now the rub, with many jurisdictions cracking down on emissions equipment and spot visual inspections becoming more common place why the heck don't these guys get it together and actually support our hobby (and it is only going to get worse!). Instead, you decide lower performance OR failed visuals and maybe road side fines! Just tells me they are out of touch with today's realities.

Now this is not a debate about having the damn thing working or even if it does any good. The simple matter is the car will fail a visual inspection if it is not there FULL STOP. The manufactures don't even give us the option. Yes some areas like California will require actual CARB certification, but that is not the case for most others (they may say they require it but it is just a visual that all emissions equipment is there). The inspectors do not care about cam overlap, etc. It is simple, is it there and maybe is it working.

Just a rant.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:44 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
No argument. Your options are: 1) limiting the cam powerband to 5500 RPMs; or 2) swapping to an EGR intake at inspection time. If you're subject to roadside inspections, then Door #1 is your only option.

Of course, if you do a full emissions-compliant LS1 swap, you'll never miss the Performer RPM. Ask me how I know...
Old 04-04-2013, 03:55 PM

Re: Really Starting to Tick me OFF, Lack of EGR Equipped Hi-Performance Intake!

No doubt an LS would be a good option for a clean slate today. My issue is my gen1 was built and installed before LS motors were even sold (late 80s). I am not motivated to change it at the moment and it runs fine...

The motor was also built for more than 5500 RPM and has a wieand xcelerator (no EGR either) single plane and a Holley 750/780. I want to switch these out back to the Q-Jet and to a dual plane with an RPM lean to it, with an EGR for today's realities, dual plane to help the bottom end a bit, Q-jet for some better mileage. The cam and heads want the RPM as well. Thing is the motor was also built prior to emissions being the issue it is today. In the end I want to update my trusted motor...

But it is not my situation that really has me up in arms, it is the fact the aftermarket is so totally disconnected on this front. Maybe I just expect too much.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:30 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
One of the assumptions is, if you have enough cam duration to warrant a 6500 RPM-capable intake, the cam will have too much overlap to pass the sniffer. It's pretty much a valid assumption.

There is this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-8053/overview/ But, I don't know of a spreadbore version. I suppose you could put a spreadbore to squarebore adapter on top of it...
Old 04-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,262 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

these guys
Kwitcherbitchin and cast one yerself. Sell em and see what happens. Don't expect "everybody" (or even "somebody") else to spoon-feed you every little thing you happen to want.

If there's a market, you'll make plenty o $$$ off of it. You'll find out soon enough either why "they" don't make one, or why "they" should have.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Kwitcherbitchin and cast one yerself. Sell em and see what happens. Don't expect "everybody" (or even "somebody") else to spoon-feed you every little thing you happen to want.

If there's a market, you'll make plenty o $$$ off of it. You'll find out soon enough either why "they" don't make one, or why "they" should have.
You have a solid plan except for one catch. To make it work you have to steal the current manufacture's IP or you need to spend serious money to develop your own. Anyone can cast an intake, but can you do one with decades of trial and error regarding flow etc.... Now for them to do it, it is thousands in design for the new egr port and a new casting form design and off they go.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:48 PM

I should add that the old Holley intake I had (really old) was high rise single plane spread bore, much higher RPM range than 6500 and it had an EGR port!

So at one point maybe one manufacturer had a clue (egr port). BTW switched to the wieand back in the day so I could close the hood... The motor was originally in another car.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:51 PM

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro IROC-Z
Transmission: GForce T-5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73 posi

I run the weiand 8000 and really like it.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,262 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

you have to steal the current manufacture's IP
How so?

If this is such a large market with so many people clamoring for it to be sold to them, developing your own IP shouldn't be the least slightest obstacle to you, but in fact should become a barrier to entry for YOUR FUTURE COMPETITORS. After all, there's nothing about a "car" that's like rocket science or something, that's so esoteric that only a few gifted brainiacs can figure it out.

I say, go for it. Kwitcherbitchin about "everybody else" and DO SOMETHING about it. Go make yourself some money.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by five7kid
One of the assumptions is, if you have enough cam duration to warrant a 6500 RPM-capable intake, the cam will have too much overlap to pass the sniffer. It's pretty much a valid assumption.

There is this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-8053/overview/ But, I don't know of a spreadbore version. I suppose you could put a spreadbore to squarebore adapter on top of it...
That is a valid point but I do not have to pass a sniffer (only 88 up here). I am more worried about the road side visual (in Canada). Other than a few US states that are cali like I do not think my situation is all that unusual.

Originally Posted by Manic Z
I run the weiand 8000 and really like it.
THANKS! That is actually a really good lead, I did not know about that intake. Downside is Holley pretty much discontinued this entire line but I will keep an eye on the used market. I have been really happy with Weiand in the past so I would be really happy going back to the well.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, since the Weiand 8000 went out of production the base model Performer EGR intake is the only option (new). The 8000 was a GREAT manifold, especially on larger engines. The runners are BIG and only taper down near the ports where they meet the heads. I ran 13.0s @ 107 with a "tow package" 400 small block in my previous 79 Malibu (QJet carb) with it.

I'll let you know that even the base model Performer intake is NOT the same as it's been forever. Sometime in the 80s or early 90s they changed the design (for the better). There was an extended discussion about this on another board that ended with pics of the old-style Performer and current Performer laid side-by-side. The newer one CLEARLY has better, strighter runner design than the old one. Personally, I've gone as fast as 12s (N/A, mediocre traction) with the lowly Performer intake, and the combo wasn't even very aggressive. It's not like you're going to give up 50HP to the big-brother Performer RPM with it. It's not that bad an intake and it sure fits under a stock 3rd gen hood a whole lot better than a Performer RPM.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:41 PM

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro IROC-Z
Transmission: GForce T-5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73 posi

Yeah, I remember when I first got the manifold, I looked at it and realized it had more in common with the Stealth 8016 than it did with the Action Plus 8004. It is a great manifold.

nosajwols, there's one on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMALL-BLOCK-CHEVY-WEIAND-8000-ACTION-PLUS-INTAKE-MANIFOLD-/190781752212?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6b7a8394&vxp=mtr