Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Stalling/Bogging/No Start(videos)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro LT
Engine: 305 5.0 LG4
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: ?
Stalling/Bogging/No Start(videos)

What im experiencing feels like the carburetor is either flooding or not getting enough gas. I first thought this was a fuel pump/filter issue but after testing the fuel pump(mechanical, pulled line off carb and cranked) I got a steady strong flow of fuel to the carb and replaced my filter HOWEVER the other day the car stalled on me and just would not turn back on. I will include a video which depicts what is going on when the car tries to shut off on me. sometimes i can pull out of gear into neutral and rev it a bit and the car will stay on but after throwing the car back in drive and going down the road a bit the car tries to die on me again and pulling into neutral wont help anymore. Car will start right up and run fine after its been sitting a while and run perfectly fine till i start getting symptoms after about a days use. Neighbor told me i could just have a dirty carb..? Any ideas? Car started up perfectly fine today and i bet i can run it fine for about an hour or so and then itll just start trying to die on me. Ignition module and coil were replaced about a year ago. This all seems to happen when the car is hot.

Below is a video of how the car begins to bog and the further down the gas pedal is pressed the worse it gets.

this one is after the car had died on me trying to get her started. seemed as if she was gonna start towards the end but as soon as i gave it a pump or two it seemed as if it made it worse
Old 01-24-2016, 06:26 PM

Re: Stalling/Bogging/No Start(videos)

to me the reason why the car stalls on me feels more like the carb is intermittently either being flooded or somehow not getting enough gas. Does not feel like a steady loss of power. it is very random.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:27 PM

pouring gas in the carb when it doesnt wana start seems to only get it running for a second or two at most
Old 01-24-2016, 08:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,670 Likes on 1,268 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Sounds like it needs a fuel filter. Not too complicated really.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:45 PM

as i mentioned filter was replaced
Old 01-24-2016, 10:46 PM

could it be my cat?
Old 01-25-2016, 07:09 AM
Supreme Member

What filter did you replace? (i.e. where was it)
Old 01-25-2016, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
What filter did you replace? (i.e. where was it)
Nose of the carb. Little filter on fuel line inlet
Old 01-25-2016, 11:33 AM

Apparently its doing it when the car is cold now too. You can see what i mean by the car loosing power as i give it more throttle.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:55 AM
Supreme Member

It's a fuel delivery problem.

Change the fuel filter again. Look inside it, see if it's crudded up with rust, crusties, tar, etc.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:41 PM

It's a fuel delivery problem.

Change the fuel filter again. Look inside it, see if it's crudded up with rust, crusties, tar, etc.
I believe you are correct. Tried pulling the fuel line to the carb off and it just wont stop gushing gasoline out of the line, is this normal? Car is off, key is on me, i did however start the car and run it around the block for about 5 minutes without any issues whatsoever about 10 minutes before attempting to pull the line off. No bogging no shutting off. And when I replaced the filter the other night(thinking it was just a dirty filter issue) because my car has been shutting off on me all day and bogging on me when i went to pull off the line it was bone dry, this right after the car died on me while driving about 20 minutes prior to replacing the filter. no little leak or anything. So this leads me to believe the problem is before the fuel filter on the carburetor. Could it be my mechanical pump? do they just act up whenever they want to or would it be a constant issue? because to me it seems as if teh car likes to run fine whenever it wants to. Do i have a second pump at the gas tank? the tank is a newer one. they replaced it before i bought the car however i never had any issues like this until now.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:45 PM
Supreme Member

The pump wouldn't cause a problem like that.

However there's a filter of sorts, in the gas tank. It CAN cause all sorts of fuel delivery problems.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=499&jpid=9
Old 01-25-2016, 06:49 PM

However there's a filter of sorts, in the gas tank. It CAN cause all sorts of fuel delivery problems.

Got you. Im gonna try and dump the tank tomorrow and check the filter. I was able to pull the line off and the chamber looked pretty clean actually. Im gonna also try some carb cleaner.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:45 PM

I do smell a strong odor coming out of the exhaust. Kind of smells like carbon like a lot of gas being burned. Would a bad tps cause the car to run rich? I heard a rich mixture would then in turn kill your cat eventually.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: Carbed 305
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Originally Posted by middian
I do smell a strong odor coming out of the exhaust. Kind of smells like carbon like a lot of gas being burned. Would a bad tps cause the car to run rich? I heard a rich mixture would then in turn kill your cat eventually.
When was the last time you changed plugs, wires, rotor etc? If you pulled the line off and she is pumping fuel, then I would find out why the fuel isnt getting ignited....ie plugs wires etc
Old 01-26-2016, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by DonW
When was the last time you changed plugs, wires, rotor etc? If you pulled the line off and she is pumping fuel, then I would find out why the fuel isnt getting ignited....ie plugs wires etc
Car ran perfectly fine today. She seems to run fine at times and just give me hell every now and then too. It doesnt seem like a consistent issue at all. Started without a problem and ran fine all day. I got the car at 54,XXX miles and I now have it at 77,XXX and am yet to replace plugs, wires. Rotor and Coil were replaced not long ago and is seems as if the wires from coil to engine harness and coil to Ignition module where spliced and just twisted back together. Could this be why? And is it is, they arent failing all the time as i mentioned the car ran fine today. I get a puff of smoke sometimes when i start the car but nothing huge. Someone also told me as this being a carbed LG4 that the carb might need some tuning or rebuilding? Any thoughts on this info?
Old 01-27-2016, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by middian
Car ran perfectly fine today. She seems to run fine at times and just give me hell every now and then too. It doesnt seem like a consistent issue at all. Started without a problem and ran fine all day. I got the car at 54,XXX miles and I now have it at 77,XXX and am yet to replace plugs, wires. Rotor and Coil were replaced not long ago and is seems as if the wires from coil to engine harness and coil to Ignition module where spliced and just twisted back together. Could this be why? And is it is, they arent failing all the time as i mentioned the car ran fine today. I get a puff of smoke sometimes when i start the car but nothing huge. Someone also told me as this being a carbed LG4 that the carb might need some tuning or rebuilding? Any thoughts on this info?
I would definately address the twisted together wires regardless.
Then I would start with a good old fashioned tuneup. It needs it anyway. Plugs, wires, ignition module, rotor and cap.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:09 AM

look at it this way, it needs it anyway, or will soon. And after you do these things if it still acts up ( I don't think it will) then you can chase fuel delivery issues.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:40 AM

Module and coil have been replaced not too long ago. They didnt say anything about the distributor being bad. Ill look into replacing plugs and wires
Old 01-28-2016, 08:00 PM

UPDATE: Today the car started bogging on me again after a few ours of driving it. This time i got a huge clue as to whats going on here, THE CAR OVERHEATED. DING DING DING. Sometimes a symptom of a bad cat. How do I have a bad cat? Prolonged rich fuel mixture due to my ****ED tps maybe? Let the car cool for about and hour, thre the heat on max and drove it home. I did feel a little loss of power on the drive home so tomorrow im gonna pull that ****er off and drive it like that til i can afford to replace it. Would this hurt the car in anyway?