Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Carbureted Vortec Swap Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbureted Vortec Swap Questions

Hello, I have a stock 1984 Trans Am with a LG4 305 and a T5 transmission. I've been thinking about doing a cheap-ish swap to a Vortec 350 from a late 1990's truck, which seems like it wouldn't be that hard to do, but I do have some questions (yes, I searched the forums). Most of my questions are carb related so I figured I would ask here and not in the swap section:

I've read that the 4 barrel quadrajet off of the 305 will work alright on the 350 but how much will I have to change it to get it to function properly on the 350 and what other issues will I have because I believe the carb is computer controlled? I've researched this online but have yet to find a definite answer.

I'm hoping to find a low enough rise intake for the Vortec that I can still use the stock cowl induction hood setup if possible. I really don't want to use a higher hood because I like the stock hood. Does anyone know if there is a Vortec carbed intake low enough to fit?

Can someone recommend an electric fuel pump and a regulator that will work well with this setup?

Will the HEI off of my 305 work in the newer Vortec or will I need a different distributor?

Yes, I'm aware that the T5 isn't the strongest but I'm planning on babying it until I can afford a T56. The one piece rear seal on the newer engine will require me to use a 1986+ flex plate from what I've read.

Sorry for all of the questions but I just want to be prepared for what I will be in for doing a swap like this.

Thank you!
Old 09-07-2018, 08:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 189 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am L69
Engine: Sniper EFI Powered 355
Transmission: WC T5 w/ Steel Support Plate
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt Posi
Re: Carbureted Vortec Swap Questions

The carb is computer controlled and will work for a stock L31. You may need to swap the rods but that is an ez job.
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/add...b-in-corvette/

I think the performer spreadbore will work just fine
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Edelbrock-2116-Performer-Vortec-Small-Block-Chevy-Intake,51604.html?sku=3252116&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoY3m14Wp3QIVkcDICh2BLQyJEAQYBiABEgI3IvD_BwE

You may need a new gear on the bottom of the distributor I cannot recall what is on the factory one but the vortec motor is a roller motor and they use a different material cam gear.

Get a 86+ flywheel and clutch I usually just say 1990 camaro
Old 09-07-2018, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Carbureted Vortec Swap Questions

That helps, thank you!