Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

305 TPI to 355 Carbureted questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Iroc-Z Camaro.
Engine: Forged 383.
Transmission: TH350 with a Hughes 3500 stall.
Axle/Gears: Moser axles and a Richmond 4.10.
305 TPI to 355 Carbureted questions.

We pulled a 305 TPi from my car and plan on putting a 355 carb motor in it. I was wondering if we could still use the stock fuel pump with a pressure regulator. Can we use stock lines? Do we need a regulator on the return side to keep from dumping the fuel back into the tank after it hits the regulator. If so, any suggestions on setting the psi on the regulator on the return line? If we cant use the stock pump, what modifications would have to be done to draw the fuel out of the tank with a mechanical pump. Can it pull through the stock pump? I'm not thinking it will but has anybody tried it? Another question, I don't want to cut all the TPI wiring and would really like to eliminate it all and clean my engine bay up and get rid of the computer. Where would be a good starting point to get rid of it all without compromising accessories like fuel pump headlights and wipers and stuff. Can i gut my fuse panel and eliminate all of the ECM stuff and just leave these accessories. Or do I have to start from scratch with something from painless or something like that. keep in mind were on a tight budget and never done this swap before.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 Gta trans am project 1-1/2
Engine: 86 4 bolt main cammed sbc 355 hsr
Transmission: 89 wc bw t5
Axle/Gears: Bw 9 bolt (3.27) pbr 11in
Re: 305 TPI to 355 Carbureted questions.

Yes u can use the stock intank pump for a regulator summit sells a holley regulator for dirt cheap get the 3 style feed line regulator u hook ur inlet to the main line an ur both outlet lines one goes to the carb an one will go to the return line make sure u get the fuel line fittings to slide over the stock tpi rubber lines. For pressure wise u want at least 6-8 psi going to carb so install a inline pressure guage an the set the regulator to 6-8 psi on the main feed line
Old 06-24-2012, 01:51 PM

Car: 1985 Iroc-Z Camaro.
Engine: Forged 383.
Transmission: TH350 with a Hughes 3500 stall.
Axle/Gears: Moser axles and a Richmond 4.10.

Have any suggestions about getting rid of the computer?
Old 06-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 383 SP EFI/ 4150 TB
Transmission: T400
Axle/Gears: QP 9" 3.73

Originally Posted by FConn3
Have any suggestions about getting rid of the computer?
Been beaten to death

Plenty of swap info available
Exp
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/post...488-post5.html
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/post...43-post10.html

Remember you still have to decide how you are going to lockup the convertor
and operate the fuel pump once the computer is gone
Old 09-01-2012, 05:34 PM

Car: 86 IROC-Z
Engine: 383 Stroker Vortec
Transmission: 700r4 Built
Axle/Gears: 3:42

im having issues as well with the fuel pump so if i understand it right with a carb i no longer need the fuel pump to prime? and the stock fuel pump will kick in when its running or do i gotta wire that up some how?
Old 09-02-2012, 07:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 93 240SX
Engine: LQ9
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.54 R200 IRS

The stock setup is wired so that if you still have oil pressure the pump will stay on, this requires keeping the stock oil pressure sending unit, its actually both a sending unit and a pressure activated switch.

The best way to wire this up would be with a relay and have the oil pressure switch activate the relay.

Maybe I should build some carb'd swap harnesses, hmmm.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:43 PM

Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: 355
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt Posi

We pulled a 305 TPi from my car and plan on putting a 355 carb motor in it. I was wondering if we could still use the stock fuel pump with a pressure regulator.
Yes a reg set to your carbs specs will work fine 5-7psi usually.
Can we use stock lines?
Yes.
Do we need a regulator on the return side to keep from dumping the fuel back into the tank after it hits the regulator.
Nope. Not that I know of.
If we cant use the stock pump, what modifications would have to be done to draw the fuel out of the tank with a mechanical pump. Can it pull through the stock pump?
I wouldnt try it, you would want to get a carb tank or carbed insert/lines where the fuel pump used to go if you wanted to use a mechanical pump. I would recommend keeping the electric pump and even doing a small upgrade.

Another question, I don't want to cut all the TPI wiring and would really like to eliminate it all and clean my engine bay up and get rid of the computer. Where would be a good starting point to get rid of it all without compromising accessories like fuel pump headlights and wipers and stuff.
Yea as you disassemble take the wires back as close to the computer as possible and cut them to be about 6"-8" long. This way you can add them back if needed. You dont need the computer with the carbed set up so you can pull it all out. Your headlights and all that other mumbo jumbo dont have to do with the computer harness.

Can i gut my fuse panel and eliminate all of the ECM stuff and just leave these accessories. Or do I have to start from scratch with something from painless or something like that. keep in mind were on a tight budget and never done this swap before.
You can gut it, Mine is gutted you can say. There is not to much ECM stuff on my box either way its an 85'. I would rather have re wired everything through a painless box or something but its just so much work.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 93 240SX
Engine: LQ9
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.54 R200 IRS

You do need to route excess fuel to the tank, your regulator should be setup that the fuel goes into it, and has an outlet port to the carb, then an outlet to the return line.

Or the fuel goes into a T fitting or fuel block, one part of it goes out to the carb, the other to the regulator then the return line.

If you are trying to remove the intank pump you'll need to add a small section of tube to take up the length removed by the pump and then fit an intank filter sock like the stock pickups have.