Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Will this water pump fit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '92 RS
Transmission: 700R4
Will this water pump fit?

According to Autozone it will fit a '92 305 TBI Serpentine setup. DURALAST_NEW #CWP-715

The part number says CWP, which means clockwise to me. shouldn't it be counter-clockwise? Thanks
Old 12-04-2005, 12:36 PM

k well im just going to install it since nobody has ever installed a duralast waterpump in their third gen. I need to know if this pump fits. I've got it all disassembled and need to know. Also, the engine drain plug is on the driver's side just inches away from the oil pan? That's what it says in haynes, no discription however. On the other side it looks to be a knock sensor. Last but not least: A bolt on my thermostat housing broke upon thermostat replacement. I can imagine this is a common problem especially for people who replace their own thermostat without a torque wrench. Given the location, would an easy out be the best solution for removal? It's not flush so that might be a plus.

Sorry if you denote a hit of sarcasm in my plea for help. This is my daily driver and I need it back up and running tomorrow. Does this pump fit??

Thanks, for reading atleast.

-Victor
Old 12-04-2005, 01:21 PM

okay well I was under the impression that taking out the knock sensor was the equavalent to a drain plug? well the knock sensor came out but theres still blockage. is this a result of someone breaking the knock sensor in the block at some point? I've tried PBing the crap out of the coolant drain plug but I refuse to overtorque it. Do you guys have any helpful hints you could give regarding this problem? Also.. for the problem of breaking the thermostat bolt off in the intake. Since I don't plan on causing any further damage to my daily driver, I propose taking it to a machine shop and having them take care of it. Is it going to require removing the intake? I have done a search on the topic and it says there arent any coolant passages a machinist would really have to worry about metal shavings and whatnot reaching the engine block. 35-40 to get it removed by a competent professional without removing the intake? (just drive the car over?) If anyone could reply please feel free to do so. I'm sure I've mentioned things done that could have been easily avoided. But I've had these problems for over a month, had a thread in general tech for over a week, so its too late for the "helpful hints" because I've already screwed up on most everything I could have.

I'm an idiot, going to catch hell for what I've already done. Let me know, thanks.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:34 PM

Okay, I've gotten everything back together complete with antifreeze. The water pump works apparently, as water is visably pumped into the radiator, keeping it nearly full. I used a gasket and RTV'ed it between the thermostat gasket on the side with the broken bolt, to prevent leakage as good as possible. My uncle is a mechanic and offered to take the bolt out if I can get the car to his shop which is approximately 30 mins of back road driving. If I leave the radiator cap's relief valve open, could I make that kind of a drive? I drove it around the block and it worked fine, but I am worried about sealant in the thermostat housing. Also, my stepfather tried to drill/ez-out/torch/chisel the bolt out. He drilled it off-center. Would this make bolt removal any more difficult? Thanks.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: 305 T.B.I. (Vin tag "E" = LO3)
Transmission: THM-700-R4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt posi 3.23
if it was me, i wouldn't worry about finding the engines drain plug, or trying to open up the petcock on the radiator, id just take the lower radiator hose off and let that drain in a pan (if the coolant is good id even reuse it) eventually, it will drain the surplus from the engine block and you wont have to worry so much about gettin excess coolant everywhere when you pop that pump off.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:39 PM

Car: 87 iroc
Engine: 305 4bbl
Transmission: t5
i work at autozone

the cwp has no reference to rotation

they are categorized by size, a, b, c, d, and occasionally f

awp
bwp
cwp
dwp