Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Dual fan setup and some questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: 355
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: Australian 9 bolt 3.27 posi
Dual fan setup and some questions

I am currently running a single electric cooling fan in my 1984 camaro berlinetta. The fan motor is tired and worn out, blown the fuse in my fan controller twice. I have a dual fan set up to go in the car. My questions are...

*What temperature should the first fan come on at?
*what temperature should the second fan come on at?
*why can't both fans run at the same time?
*any ideas of a good dual fan controller?
thanks
Old 06-07-2013, 06:27 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's
Re: Dual fan setup and some questions

You might find something useful in the following how-to:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/cool...electrics.html

JamesC
Old 06-07-2013, 08:27 AM

Car: 86 Z/28 IROC-Z
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.27

Originally Posted by onthedownlow
I am currently running a single electric cooling fan in my 1984 camaro berlinetta. The fan motor is tired and worn out, blown the fuse in my fan controller twice. I have a dual fan set up to go in the car. My questions are...

*What temperature should the first fan come on at?
*what temperature should the second fan come on at?
*why can't both fans run at the same time?
*any ideas of a good dual fan controller?
thanks
Just keep it simple, each fan has its own relay, wire the triggers a 190deg head switch.

Otherwise, you can come up with lots of combo's
Old 06-08-2013, 01:31 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 89 forrmula
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.55

I have a 3-speed relay design that will work with either fan you have. It's far more efficient to have both fans come on but at that time GM didn't incorporate dual speed windings in their fan motors. So, they limped it around with 2 seperately triggered fans. Taking advantage of a more modern approach to cooling fans and related relay controls will yield much better results. If you are interested in a variable, 3- speed relay control PM me and I can walk you through the design.

I basically got fed up with controllers that fail and cheapo relay kits you always see all over the internet so I came up with my own that imo is the best you can get.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by formula1LE
. If you are interested in a variable, 3- speed relay control PM me and I can walk you through the design.
I am very interested, please do explain.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:21 PM

Whichever fan or fans you choose to use, the high speed positive gets wired to a resistor board and there are 3 relays trigger off 2 temp switches and AC use to direct which series of resistors to run voltage through to the fan, thus varying the fan speed from low, medium or high. Manual override is built in and includes a wiring schematic as well. (2) 40a and (1) 50a relay control the three fan speeds. This harness is designed to run ANY style of fan(s) and the method in which the fan is controlled virtually eliminates startup current spikes and transitions smoothly from one speed to another. The wiring I use is j1128 spec Delphi GXL and I solder all my connections and heatshrink where required.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 384 Likes on 328 Posts
Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears

Just wire the fans up using an aftermarket LS style harness. The fans run in series (6V each) for low speed or parallel (12 volts) for high speed. One my 97 Express with the 350 Vortec and LS1 style PCM the ECM controls one relay with temperature and an input from the a/c compressor circuit the other.

In a retrofit application, I would use a head temperature switch to turn both cooling fans on low speed. I would wired up the high speed relay to the a/c circuit. It would work like this.

With a cold engine and no a/c both fans would be off.

With the a/c off as the engine reaches operating temperature the fans would kick on low.

With a cold engine and a/c on, one fan would be on high for the condensor

With a hot engine and a/c on, both fans would be on high for maximum cooling.

Last edited by Fast355; 06-08-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:52 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, was looking around the net and found this, please let me know what you guys think of this set up and how well would it work in my camaro.. I am terrible with wiring and this may be a big help.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FAN-RELAY-PANEL-PRE-WIRED-ELACTRIC-FAN-COOLING-FAN-RELAY-DUAL-FAN-RELAYS-/171049890081?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d35e3121&vxp=mtr
Old 06-08-2013, 06:59 PM

Ok...there are several reasons why I would not suggest a kit like that, connections crimped-not soldered, not j1128 wiring, cheapo terminal strip, etc.....I will send you a link to a much more professional relay kit that's about twice the money but about 4 times the quality.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:13 PM

Please do Formula! Thanks. I am not very good with wiring and such as I have severe arthritis, so I am looking to find the best option while still trying to find an installation I can handle. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:17 PM

Hey Formula1LE, sent you several personal messages regarding the relay I purchased from you back on the June 28th. Please answer the pm's and let me know where the relay and or a tracking number.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:10 AM

Yep-just back from my 4th vaca and yours is about to ship-like I said, had to wait for my stock order to arrive as I ran out of stock on one style of relay...I'll test it to verify all the various operations and I'll send you tracking on her. I build them all to suit and some people have different requests wiring wise so iyt takes a little time. I label everything but remember I'm including both temp switches and the low temp one I differentiated by using a grey connector on it. Be sure to read through the diagram provided and ask me any questions if you are unsure-the entire harness while it has a resistor board, 4-relay bank, etc., there are only 4 connections to be made and the (2) temp switches to install-this will give you automated 3 speeds from your Mark VIII fan and it does not/cannot get any easier than this setup!
Old 07-06-2013, 10:28 AM

Car: 86 Z/28 IROC-Z
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.27

Originally Posted by Fast355
Just wire the fans up using an aftermarket LS style harness. The fans run in series (6V each) for low speed or parallel (12 volts) for high speed. One my 97 Express with the 350 Vortec and LS1 style PCM the ECM controls one relay with temperature and an input from the a/c compressor circuit the other.

In a retrofit application, I would use a head temperature switch to turn both cooling fans on low speed. I would wired up the high speed relay to the a/c circuit. It would work like this.

With a cold engine and no a/c both fans would be off.

With the a/c off as the engine reaches operating temperature the fans would kick on low.

With a cold engine and a/c on, one fan would be on high for the condensor

With a hot engine and a/c on, both fans would be on high for maximum cooling.
That's a great idea.. All it would take is a DPDT relay in between the two fans to do the Low/Hi.

On a funny side note! The guys on the motorcycle forum take off there coil packs and replace them with Stick coils in series. I tried to inform them on there hot new set up, The stick coils are seeing 6v each..
But, they just don't get it. I even gave them a link to an on-line calculator so they can punch in the numbers.. And they still don't get it
Old 07-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83Z28 HO
Engine: Magnacharged Dart Little M 408
Transmission: G Force 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" w/Detroit Trutrac

Originally Posted by formula1LE
Ok...there are several reasons why I would not suggest a kit like that, connections crimped-not soldered, not j1128 wiring, cheapo terminal strip, etc.....I will send you a link to a much more professional relay kit that's about twice the money but about 4 times the quality.
Hey Formula...if you don't mind...send me the link too!! The one posted above is nothing someone can't do him/herself...of course you need to run relays...duh!! lol.

I actually have an aftermarket Derale dual fan setup, but having the option to go variable speed is much better! Been too busy to install it yet, but I'd like to get the relays and wiring set up beforehand. I was planning to have my first fan come on at 195, off at 185...and the second come on at somewhere around 205 and off at 190. My fans came with two 25 amp relays already...

No way I could cycle both these fans on at the same time since the amp spike on startup would be too much....unless I went the variable speed route...

And sorry onthedownlow...not trying to hijack your post...
Old 07-06-2013, 11:51 PM

You're not hijacking at all, this is all good information for all here. Looking forward to getting my relay(s) up and running. Going to disconnect my Derale and use the relay setup I got from formula1LE.