Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Replacing Gauge Temperature Sender

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 04:29 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro IROC Z
Engine: LB9 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Replacing Gauge Temperature Sender

So my temperature gauge stopped working a little while ago. I did some tracing of wires and found that the green wire that attaches to the temp sender in between #1 and #3 was broken off and corroded. I'm planning on buying a new Temperature Sender but when I look at the autoparts stores online, Advance is the only store that seems to carry it (NAPA and Autozone) don't. They have two available a $60 one (https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...erature+sender)

and a $20 one (https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...erature+sender).

Which one is the correct one? My car is a 1986 Camaro IROC Z with TPI.

Also after I install the sensor itself, the actual connection on the green wire is corroded is there a part for that? I want to get my temperature gauge working for the summer, I will be driving a lot more and longer distances.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Replacing Gauge Temperature Sender

Either of those sending units should work. No idea why 1 is $20 and 1 is $60; they're usually in the $15 - 20 range.Doesn't particularly matter what your car is: the sending unit has been the same since they started using electrical gauges back in the 50s, up until the gauge became part of the ECM's function. Only difference is, sometime in the 70s they changed the size of the hole in the head, from 1/2" pipe to 3/8" pipe. If your heads are the stock ones for your car, they'll have the smaller size. Although it looks like maybe the $60 one is the larger size.

Part # at AZ is TU66.

Yes you can cut the old connector off of your wire and crimp a new terminal on it. It's a generic 1/4" spade.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:21 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro IROC Z
Engine: LB9 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Re: Replacing Gauge Temperature Sender

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Either of those sending units should work. No idea why 1 is $20 and 1 is $60; they're usually in the $15 - 20 range.Doesn't particularly matter what your car is: the sending unit has been the same since they started using electrical gauges back in the 50s, up until the gauge became part of the ECM's function. Only difference is, sometime in the 70s they changed the size of the hole in the head, from 1/2" pipe to 3/8" pipe. If your heads are the stock ones for your car, they'll have the smaller size. Although it looks like maybe the $60 one is the larger size.

Part # at AZ is TU66.

Yes you can cut the old connector off of your wire and crimp a new terminal on it. It's a generic 1/4" spade.
Awesome! I ordered it and I am going to pick it up later today.