DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Do I need a ECM from a manual car now that I did an auto -> manual swap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2002 Trans Am WS6
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4.10
Do I need a ECM from a manual car now that I did an auto -> manual swap?

After my auto -> manual swap, for some reason the RPMs are not droppping down when I push the clutch in to shift. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

I did not change the computer or PROM when I did the swap, I left the 4 prong connection and the other little on that went into the auto hang open, and I left the black and the orange/black wires in the console open too. Do I have to do anything with these wires?

My car is an 87 v6

Can anyone help me out?
Old 03-25-2004, 07:03 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: Do I need a ECM from a manual car now that I did an auto -> manual swap?

Originally posted by camaro_V6_Tuner
After my auto -> manual swap, for some reason the RPMs are not droppping down when I push the clutch in to shift. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

I did not change the computer or PROM when I did the swap, I left the 4 prong connection and the other little on that went into the auto hang open, and I left the black and the orange/black wires in the console open too. Do I have to do anything with these wires?

My car is an 87 v6

Can anyone help me out?
Should get a MEMCAL from a manual tranny vehicle. Can go to GM and order one for your model year (MY) vehicle but with the 5-spd. Same ECM, just a different calibration.

RBob.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6

Originally posted by camaro_V6_Tuner

My car is an 87 v6

Can anyone help me out?

yea,

the connector that was on teh auto shifter you mean?
if you dont connect them right, the backup lights wont work, and the ECM will always think its in park....

read my wiring thing here:https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...&highlight=T56
Old 03-25-2004, 08:33 PM

ok, well i connected all the wires for the backup lights and wires for the clutch switch but there are 2 other wires there. There is a black and an orange/black one. do i ahve to ground either of these 2?
Old 04-02-2004, 10:15 PM

What is a memcal?
Old 09-09-2007, 01:18 AM

Car: 1985 Sport Coupe
Engine: 3800 Series II Turbo
Transmission: 4th-gen WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.27 BW Limited

Have you hooked your VSS up yet? Without a VSS hookup, the car will start to idle higher and higher, and wont come down when you push the clutch out.

I did a T56 swap into my '87 IROC, and reused the ECM. All I did was use a Dakota Digital box to hook the VSS up to the tranny, and hooked the P/N switch to my clutch pedal.

The black and orange wires that were on your shifter should be taped apart, and left alone.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:49 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.

Originally Posted by camaro_V6_Tuner
What is a memcal?
Sorry, I tried to attach a picture but TGO's STUPID system won't let me because "I have already attached this to another post" and won't let me repost it again. Instead I have to go though a stupid link.

A memcal is a blue and about 3" x 3/4" and it plugs into your motherboard on your ECM. The memcal holds the eprom plus various other circuitry for you. Just tell the dealership the specs for your car PLUS the standard tranny and they SHOULD be able to get you one.

If not, let us know and I'll give you various Codes that you can contact wrecking yards with and hopefully they pull them out of the ECMs when they are wrecking the cars.

Last possibililty, find someone local to you that has the necessary eprom burning equipment and get them to burn the proper 5 speed bin onto your current memcal in your car. You only need a V6 memcal for your car to do this, it doesn't matter if it's an auto or manual if you are re-programming it. You just annot use a V8 Memcal or you'll get an SES light.

Check out your the Regional Board for your area and make a post looking for someone.

Last edited by Grim Reaper; 09-09-2007 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Just got out of surgery and I have trouble typing
Old 09-09-2007, 07:58 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1982 Trans Am & 1982 Corvette
Engine: L-98 with LO-3 induction. 350 CFI
Transmission: 5 speed and vette has 700r4
Axle/Gears: 373's in T/A .. vette unknown

my car was converted to a 350 TBI with a 5 speed using a automatic chip and it doesn't do this at all ... even when it had no vss signal it didn't do this either. Only strange thing mine does is shift light comes on when in 5th gear, aside from that it starts normally/idles normally/and idles down during shifts ... even if I run in nuetral going down a hill it will drop just above normal idling. ..... the car also has a automatic ecm harness as well and I never touched anything but the nuetral start switch wires in the shifters electrical plug...But a v-6 and v-8 could be different in this aspect
Old 09-09-2007, 08:03 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1982 Trans Am & 1982 Corvette
Engine: L-98 with LO-3 induction. 350 CFI
Transmission: 5 speed and vette has 700r4
Axle/Gears: 373's in T/A .. vette unknown

LOL just realized this post is realllllllllllll old ..... so that was a waste of typing
Old 09-09-2007, 11:16 AM

Car: 1985 Sport Coupe
Engine: 3800 Series II Turbo
Transmission: 4th-gen WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.27 BW Limited

Originally Posted by Jproz1167
LOL just realized this post is realllllllllllll old ..... so that was a waste of typing
lol... don't know why it was showing at the top of the page yesterday. I must have had the topics sorted wrong.