DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Wideband O2 and controller

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wideband O2 and controller

Is the Innovate LC1 controller + sensor the most reasonably priced package on the market to plug into my MS2v3? at $200??
Old 03-26-2006, 02:40 PM

Wide Band 02

There is no doubt a lot of knowledge about the wideband floating around out there. I've not had a lot of luck amassing info but here is the little that I have found. Moates has a little cable that modifies WB sensor output, 15 bucks. Mansur has a way to add the output into TunerPro for display on your laptop, that info is free. There is a Bosch LSU 4 , 5 wire pumpcell sender Bosch# 258007057 for $38 from 1st VW parts.com. Don't know where to get the connector.The output from a wideband sensor (pumpcell) is different from the older 1 wire and 3 wire heated types as it is 0 output at 14.7 and positive or negative for rich/lean. (don't know which is which, lots of that sort of don't know stuff floating around in the head these days) The Wide Band sensor must be heated and I gather that the heater circut needs to be controlled to maintain optimum temp (at least 600 says Bosch).DIYEFI had a controller project but I have had no luck turning the page up lately or really understanding what all was adressed by the project when I could find it. Tech Edge has some wiring info, but I have not been able to get further than the color code,, like where the wires actually go past red to one lead of the nernst cell, small things like who is singnal out, power in etc. This is only my 2cents worth and should not be treated as factual info.[kinda like a gov't press release, the news as we see it] Thanks to All and Good Luck
Old 03-26-2006, 09:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 3xx ci tubo
Transmission: 4L60E & 4L80E
I am not sure what happened to the DIY WBO2 site. The link via www.diy-efi.org doesn't show that PCBs can be bought. You could try emailing the admin. for some info.
If I were to buy a WBO2, my first choice would be the DIY WBO2, second would be the LC-1. Both cost about $200. Cheapest I know of. I don't know which is more accurate. I like the DIY WBO2 that I have been running for two years now.
Check out the DIY PROM board. A few people are using the LC-1 with WBO2 patches for stock GM ECMs.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:58 PM

Car: '70 Chevelle, '63 Corvette
Engine: 383, 327
Transmission: B&M 700r4, Muncie M-21
Originally Posted by Dave Farr
Is the Innovate LC1 controller + sensor the most reasonably priced package on the market to plug into my MS2v3? at $200??
In a word, yes. I have an LC-1 hooked to my MS2v2.2. I bought mine last August and looked all around before buying. Some others to consider are

http://www.zeitronix.com/index.html
http://plxdevices.com
http://www.techedge.com.au/

DIY-WB doesn't use the Bosch sensor. It uses the Honda/NGK (?) which is more expensive. I think DIY-WB sort of folded up over some flap between some of the designers and the guy who went out to start Tech Edge in Australia. Even if you can find the board and parts, support seems non-existant.

-Dave
Old 03-27-2006, 08:50 PM

Thanks guys- there's some nuggets here.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:31 PM

WB stuff

I'm always shocked to find out how very little I know about this stuff,there is some very educational discussion concerning function, limitation and what is needed to support a WB sensor under Putting the DIY Back In The WB 02. Started by Craig Moates, RBob gives some very helpful info especially on page 2, Thanks to all you guys that do know your elbow from your AH about this stuff. good luck, Val
Old 04-04-2006, 10:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 3xx ci tubo
Transmission: 4L60E & 4L80E
Yeah, but I have been down that road before with craig. Give him info on how to do something thinking he will release a DIY kit and before you know it.....it is a commercial product. I know I have learned not to give too much info on the electronics stuff because of that and the lurkers that grab it and go commercial with it.
All it takes is one person to ruin a good thing. You could layout a PCB for about $60 for three of them. The parts would be about $20/board. The NTK sensor is about $170. Or you could go microprocessor control of the LSU4 sensor.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:33 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Originally Posted by ChevelleFan
DIY-WB doesn't use the Bosch sensor. It uses the Honda/NGK (?) which is more expensive. I think DIY-WB sort of folded up over some flap between some of the designers and the guy who went out to start Tech Edge in Australia. Even if you can find the board and parts, support seems non-existant.

-Dave
This is all true, and the issue with TE is unfortunate. More unfortunate then people realize. For it was the end of the DIY projects. Theft at it's finest. How can one support something when it has been taken from them? Every attempt at support was another piece of engineering that went to another entity.

If anyone has a question or an issue with their DIY-WB, PM me or post here. I'll try to answer questions and such.

I will say that many people gave to the DIY-WB project freely and openly. It was the beginning of an era in the use of WB's for tuning. It is a shame in how it was exploited for personal gain.

RBob.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:33 AM

I got an LC-1 kit for $175 shipped to my door from EBAY. Sometimes they are listed for $199 BUY IT NOW, and sometimes they are listed also with Best Offer. I offered $175 and four days later it was in my hands! I asked the seller if he had any more, I am awaiting his reply.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:18 PM

Thats a pretty good buy and more guys should jump on it, got mine at a trade show in Vancouver for $192cdnd-+$160usd. The rep was there and said they use the Bosch units because of expense and they can take more back pressure than the ntk although the ntk can take higher temperatures.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:27 PM

I noticed the seller does not have the LC-1 listed anymore. Maybe Innovative told him to stop selling at that price????

The seller says he has more to sell for cheap though. I just do not know if he is supposed to sell at that low price.......
Old 04-20-2006, 08:12 AM

dont shoot me but did the TE guys really copy the diy unit and start selling the same exact circuit? I have a diy board and it doesnt look like what te sells. Im sure he probably used or copied some ideas but its a big world out there and someone else would have built and sold a wideband controller(and now there are several avalable) I like the do it yourself stuff but I have a lot of commercial stuff too. I dont think theres any way around it, if its avalable publicly someone is gonna copy it . I see built for profit megasquirt units for sale on ebay all the time. Its easy to get your nose bent but that shouldnt stop the diy movement.

Doug
Old 04-21-2006, 08:14 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Originally Posted by DJ406
dont shoot me but did the TE guys really copy the diy unit and start selling the same exact circuit? I have a diy board and it doesnt look like what te sells. Im sure he probably used or copied some ideas but its a big world out there and someone else would have built and sold a wideband controller(and now there are several avalable) I like the do it yourself stuff but I have a lot of commercial stuff too. I dont think theres any way around it, if its avalable publicly someone is gonna copy it . I see built for profit megasquirt units for sale on ebay all the time. Its easy to get your nose bent but that shouldnt stop the diy movement.

Doug
did the TE guys really copy the diy unit and start selling the same exact circuit?

Yes, they did. Their first WB unit is a direct copy of the DIY-WB.

Then, as folks contributed enhancements for the DIY-WB, these too ended up in the TE WB units.

I still see portions of the DIY-WB circuitry in their newer units. Ones that 'they' claim have nothing in common with the DIY-WB.

RBob.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:30 PM

Is the DIY-WB pcb still available somewhere?
I tried to contact the supplier of the components (DIY-WB Parts Group Buy) from the link on the DIY-WB website but got no reply to my email.
If a board was available, it might be possible to construct a DIY WB kit - all the components are all listed.