DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Comparison/summary of emulators

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 07:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Z28
Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
Transmission: 700R4 w/ Corvette servo
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen, 3.23, posi, PBR
Comparison/summary of emulators

Forgive me if this should be asked in the DIY PROM section ...

Is there a summary (pros & cons) or comparison of the various products out there for tuning an ECM w/o burning chips?

I'm interested in the EBL Flash system, then came across the Prominator. Thinking they provided the same functionality, I was surprised when a thread mentioned they could be used together. I'm not sure if the Prominator is even still available or where to buy it. The link I see listed for it says it's being sold by Moates, but I can't find it on their site. Then there's the Ostrich and other products offered by Moates.

I would like to know what's currently available and the pros & cons of each by people that have actually used them. I'm sure it will help others thinking of getting into tuning and making an informed decision on which system to go with. If it's already out there, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2009, 02:35 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: Comparison/summary of emulators

The Prominator no longer exits. Craig purchased the rights to it and is changing the name and the hardware that makes it. He has a post (or more) on the DIY_PROM board about this. Note that the Prominator only worked on the original EBL Classic (discontinued). As it still used a chip, which the Prominator replaced.

The EBL Flash has flash memory on board, no chip swapping. It is programmed via the same data cable/link as is used for data logging and bank switching.

As for emulators, there is the Ostrich and the Romulator. I'm not sure if the Romulators (Xtronics?) is still available. A google should help in this regard.

Some folks use the Ostrich as a replacement for the chip. Leaving it in the ECM all of the time. However, this depends on a coin cell for back up. If it dies, so does the calibration.

So it is best to have a PROM in the car when this happens. Otherwise, it is a nifty device. Although, do not get caught up in the "instant tuning" that seems to permeate some. It is always better to take your time and think about the changes you are making.

Along with taking some notes about those changes. But it sure is nice to have the ECM back under the dash where it belongs.

Note that there is a distinct difference between emulators and the EBL Flash. The emulators are just that. You still need to put together an ALDL cable, XDF and ADS files, along with data logging software.

The EBL Flash system is provided with this. And it has a higher speed data logging that doesn't depend upon the ALDL link. Along with an auto VE Learn and analysis that isn't duplicated elsewhere.

RBob.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Z28
Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
Transmission: 700R4 w/ Corvette servo
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen, 3.23, posi, PBR

RBob - Thanks for all the information. If I understand everything stated, the only real option for a permanent solution is EBL Flash - which is where I was headed in the first place. An added plus is there seems to be many that have used it on these boards and a little help is just a post away.

Do you know if an ALDL-to-USB cable can be used w/ EBL Flash? I'm currently using one w/ WinALDL to get started by monitoring & logging data.

Thanks again for the information.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:29 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

The EBL data link is true RS-232 levels. So it will plug into a serial port with no other adapters required. If the laptop only has USB then a USB-to-serial adapter cable may be used. Due to the high data rates one with an FTDI chip set is recommended.

The ALDL to USB cable can be used on the ALDL port as it is still active. Although it really isn't good for much except diagnostic purposes.

RBob.