DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

ECM/Fuel Pump fuse keeps blowing.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700r4
ECM/Fuel Pump fuse keeps blowing.

I recently purchased an 89 RS 2.8 v6. All that was described as being wrong with it was “bad fuel pump”. Upon further investigation I discovered the fuel pump wasn’t getting power which in turn led me to the blown ECM/Fuel Pump fuse. Whenever I tried replacing the fuse it blows immediately. Note the ignition isn’t even turned to the on position. I disconnected the fuel pump relay and replace the fuse and it still blows. I disconnect the ECM and replace the fuse and viola, the fuse doesn’t blow. I reconnected the relay and the fuse is still intact. But as soon as I reconnect the ECM the fuse blows. So this leads me to the question. Is the problem most likely the ECM or can it still be the relay somehow? The wires on the relay harness are frayed some (which I plan on repairing) but the fuse didn’t blow from reconnecting the relay. Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this has been posted before but I’m new to the forum and couldn’t find anything that gave me a definitive answer.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:05 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Ramjet 350
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Torsen
Re: ECM/Fuel Pump fuse keeps blowing.

Originally Posted by NeroRS
I recently purchased an 89 RS 2.8 v6. All that was described as being wrong with it was “bad fuel pump”. Upon further investigation I discovered the fuel pump wasn’t getting power which in turn led me to the blown ECM/Fuel Pump fuse. Whenever I tried replacing the fuse it blows immediately. Note the ignition isn’t even turned to the on position. I disconnected the fuel pump relay and replace the fuse and it still blows. I disconnect the ECM and replace the fuse and viola, the fuse doesn’t blow. I reconnected the relay and the fuse is still intact. But as soon as I reconnect the ECM the fuse blows. So this leads me to the question. Is the problem most likely the ECM or can it still be the relay somehow? The wires on the relay harness are frayed some (which I plan on repairing) but the fuse didn’t blow from reconnecting the relay. Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this has been posted before but I’m new to the forum and couldn’t find anything that gave me a definitive answer.

Happened to me once. Check the wiring to the oil pressure switch as it's tied in with the fp. . Most likely a bad ground.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700r4

I’ve traced the wiring back and haven’t found anything. I’ve since replaced the fuel pump relay as well as cleaned up and heat shrinked the lines that run to the relay right below the plug. The only thing that confuses me is that the fuse doesn’t blow when the ECM is unplugged and everything else is connected. I would think if there was a wiring issue with OPS or FPR it would blow the fuse regardless if the ECM is connected or not.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:00 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

The ECM is likely bad. Pull it out and remove the top cover, see if anything is fried.

RBob.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:46 PM
Sponsor

Received 658 Likes on 582 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt

Double check you ecm service number.
just swap over your prom
https://m.ebay.com/itm/GM-ECM-122730....H0.X1227.TRS1