DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

VE Master for $8D platform

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VE Master for $8D platform

For those that are familiar with VE Master Joe has created a version for those of us running the $8D platform. the link to his site is (http://home.attbi.com/~jgeorger/vemaster/)

for those that are not familiar with it, this is a program that takes your BLM data from your Data Master runs & then edits your VE tables, in your .bin file. check out his web site & see what he has done.

This version has to run from DOS, but he is going to make a GUI for it soon (I guess w/in the next few weeks). I found Joe though the Tuner Cat mail list @ http://www.topica.com/lists/TunerCat/read

BW
Old 06-20-2002, 11:51 PM

In the descriptions he talks about the lt1 not a TPI. Yet he says the beta version is for a $8D ECM. I'm a little confused. Is it for the lt1 or a SD TPI?

I just want to make sure before I start editing my VE tables and screw something up.

Thanks

Jim
Old 06-21-2002, 11:34 AM

He started out making it for the LT1, & Just added the $8D platform. I guess he is also going to make one for another platform here real soon. the download that is in the last update is for the TPI (SD, $8D).

BW
Old 06-21-2002, 05:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Originally posted by Bobalos
He started out making it for the LT1, & Just added the $8D platform. I guess he is also going to make one for another platform here real soon. the download that is in the last update is for the TPI (SD, $8D).

BW
The bad news, it appears to need input in the form of an ALDL capture from DataMaster which about $200.

http://www.ttspowersystems.com/

I had started writing something similar that would read in a Moates capture file, but got busy and unfortunately will be that way for a while (baby due next week).
Old 06-21-2002, 07:35 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Sexy
Engine: Stock
Transmission: Slipping
Has anyone actually tried this? I have $8D, Tunercat and Datamaster, so I might try it this weekend unless someone tells me of a bad experience with it.
Old 06-21-2002, 10:20 PM

If you already have a cable for your car you dont have to buy one from TTS so that $200 price goes down to reasonable. IMO, this kicks the heck out of Diacom, but you know what they say about opinions........... You can get the data master software from Andrew Mattie (http://www.mindspring.com/~amattei/dss.htm) for $95, which is apparently $25 less than the list price from TTS.

No, I doubt that anyone has used this yet, as it really is only a few days old. I was going to try it this weekend, but I have to go out of town. Be cautious & check the VE table changes to see if they make sense before you burn your prom. The Compare function of Tuner Cat ought to do this Lickity Split.

Fore thos of us that have big cams, I think that this is going to make dialing in our VE tables a much smaller chore.

BW
Old 06-22-2002, 12:01 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '89 GMC Pickup
Engine: 383 SBC Stealth Ram
Transmission: 700R4/VIG 3200
No, I doubt that anyone has used this yet, as it really is only a few days old. BW
I tried it out last night. It works but I haven't scanned any data from the new chip so I can't tell you if it got me right on or not.

To use it I will start with a fresh burned chip I think is pretty close for daily driving and get data in as many VE cells as possible up to probably 3000 or so.

I did take me about 10 minutes to figure out why nothing at all was changing when I ran it. *THEN*, I remembered I had my BLM's locked at 128 in the chip I had been running. Duh!

I used some old scans and bin files and it made many slight changes. These were pretty close to right anyway. I'm anxious to see how it does with a chip that's pretty far off. I suppose it will take several scans/burns to actually get it right.

Thanks for posting the link! I've been watching this program for a while hoping it would come available for the 730.
Old 06-22-2002, 09:05 PM
Supreme Member

Ok, I tried out the VEMaster program for $8D today. The setup is a L98 350 TPI, with 24# Accel injectors, SLP headers / 3" catback, and MSD system with the 6A box shut off (the 6A box currently disrupts communication between my laptop and the ECM.) The chip has a 21.3 injector constant, 2 degrees taken out of the whole spark table, EGR disabled, and TCC settings changed, otherwise it's a basic AUJP.

I drove the identical route between the two tests, within an hour of each other. The route included a stoplight, 3 stop signs, 2 hills (one that's a 7% grade), and 2 miles of interstate driving.

When I ran Vemaster, I ran it up to 3000 RPM and to 128 BLM.

Here's my tables and histogram from Datamaster from my starting chip:

Notice I'm running pretty fat in the higher RPM/MAP range. Here's the table changes made by VEMaster, and the resulting histogram:

I'm running between 126 and 130 on almost all cells except the cells I didn't hit often in my original test. If I ran some more tests in those areas I'm sure VEMaster could compensate for it. I'm satisfied with this chip and I'm still running it in the car.
Old 06-22-2002, 09:20 PM

Right on Dude, looks like it works pretty well. I cant wait to play for a bit.

BW
Old 06-22-2002, 09:35 PM
Supreme Member

Synapsis: what application is generating that "INT/BLM Histogram"? Looks like a handy thing to have...is it DataMaster or something you wrote?
Old 06-22-2002, 09:45 PM
Supreme Member

That's from Datamaster. It's pretty handy. You can replay the data back, and it'll update the histogram in realtime. If you hold your mouse over a cell, it'll tell you how many records from your test fell within that cell.
Old 06-23-2002, 01:35 AM

I would be extremely interested if someone was able to send me their before and after data log file and their before and after BINs.

I have a relatively bullet-proof set up similar to this this and am curious regarding the differences before I actually tapped another $200 into software.
Old 06-23-2002, 01:49 AM
Supreme Member

Here's my before and after bin, and also my before and after Datamaster log file.

It's based off an AUJP bin, and as you can tell by the filename, it's revision 19 and 21. I don't take any responsibility for anything broken if you use my bins, etc.. etc.. etc..

The main changes are EGR, TCC lockup, global spark table changes, fan enable temps, and injector constant.

http://www.codeink.com/syn/bin.zip
Old 06-23-2002, 11:47 AM
Supreme Member

I downloaded Datamaster and am using the 20 runs it gives you in demo mode, nice stuff being able to watch the histogram of BLM/VE/RPM in realtime.

It showed me a lean area in low KPa/high RPM (holding gears under light throttle) and sure enough VEMaster caught and applied new VE values where needed. Wish this had been around when I first did my 730 swap, I must have burned 20+ chips dialing in my VE table.

Big thumbs up for VEMaster!
Old 06-25-2002, 08:07 PM

Update

Joe has created the GUI for VE Master, He said that he was going to post it on his web site today.

Enjoy Gents.

BW
Old 07-02-2002, 08:14 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Engine: 4.0L
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 8.8 rear, 4.56 gears, 4:1 transfer
What do I do with the text file generated by VE Master? It does show "orginal value" times "ajustment" and the "new value" but the orginal doesn't match (it's kind of close) my tables. Also the cell ranges are off a bit.

I imangine I have to input all the changes manually as well?
Old 07-02-2002, 08:21 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Engine: 4.0L
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 8.8 rear, 4.56 gears, 4:1 transfer
Nevermind, I just stumbled across the answer. VE Master edits the BIN automatically. The text file is just for your information.

Duh! I am tired.
Old 07-02-2002, 09:33 PM

I finally had a chance to fire it up the other day (I have been out of town) & noticed that with the bin that I put into it, the only things that it modified were some of the points in the extended table, but none in the lower table. did you guys find the same thing?

also the RPM values for the upper table did not agree with what the Tuner Cat values were.

did I miss something?

BW
Old 07-06-2002, 08:35 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 350, ZZ4 equivalent
Transmission: Pro-Built Road Race 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Dana 44
This software makes my life alot easier, wow, very nice.
Old 07-08-2002, 02:10 PM

Has anyone else been using this? I have used it over the weekend & it appears to do all it is cracked up to be, but, there is still something odd going on. I cant figure out if it is my car or if there is something screwy with the program (I think it is my car).

It appears that it does actually edit both the upper & lower VE tables, but the log only shows part of the upper table.

what I noticed was that i ran my Data master run through it a few times & each time it gets closer, but it is not right on yet. Mind you my VE's were quite a way off so I expected that it would take a few stabs @ it before the VE's were down low enough that an acurate calculation could be made to get them close.

One thing I noticed though is that by looking @ my Histogram (cool tool for those that are not using it), that it appears that as i drive the car the VE's are getting better, (w/o prom changes), & this makes me think that either something is changing (O2, Vac leak, header leak dont know) or moving around. I cant quite put my finger on it yet. I am going to check the headers & see if they are not leaking & run through the basics again.

Synapsis, how many runs did you make before you found that it got to 128?

one thing to note is that with every edit I made I did the compare feature & checked the new with the old & all the changes made good sense to me, so @ no time did it appear that there was any danger of harm.

BW
Old 07-08-2002, 02:18 PM
Supreme Member

Synapsis, how many runs did you make before you found that it got to 128?
Two. My table was pretty close to begin with. I was running 128's at idle, and at 30KPa/1250 RPM area, with anything above 50 KPa or 2200 RPM going rich. After two updates everything is between 126 and 130.
Old 07-08-2002, 04:44 PM

Has anyone used VEmaster with the Freescan software? If so, let me know how it goes.
Old 07-08-2002, 05:03 PM
Supreme Member

Is there anyway in DataMaster to tell if you are in PE mode? If there is then the software maker of VEMaster could add a filter to the software so it won’t use the data of when the ECM is in PE mode.
Old 07-08-2002, 05:31 PM

Synapsis, my BLM's are @ the bottom rail (FAT) so it has a way to go to get it close enogh to calculate some real numbers. I think that it will take a few runs for it to get close.

The upper area where you drive seems to be OK, now but the idle is still PIG rich & VE Master does not seem to be changing it much. I have not looked @ it REAL hard to figure out what was going on, but I have saved it all to study it & see what is happening.

89 Iroc, there is not a PE flag (that I know of) but there is a BLM enable flag. He is using that BLM enable flag to to determine if those are BLM's that he wants to modify or not. much better IMO, than knowing if it is PE or not, because there are other things beside PE that will turn the BLM enable off.

BW
Old 07-08-2002, 06:10 PM
Supreme Member

Bobalos - Have you set it close with the injector constant first? I moved my injector constant down from 22.1 to 21.3 (with 24# injectors, go fig) before I started with VEmaster.
Old 07-08-2002, 06:11 PM
Supreme Member

Oh so when the ECM enters PE it shots BLM enable off. You learn something new everyday.

That’s good to know, so I don't have to worry about going into PE mode when recording data and using VEMaster to process it.

Last edited by 89 Iroc Z; 07-08-2002 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by Synapsis
Bobalos - Have you set it close with the injector constant first? I moved my injector constant down from 22.1 to 21.3 (with 24# injectors, go fig) before I started with VEmaster.

I did & did not. I wanted to find out how much I needed to move the VE to get where I wanted to go so I moved the injector constant, but them moved it back, just because I wanted the right values set to the right values. No biggie, really.

BW
Old 07-09-2002, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by 89 Iroc Z
Oh so when the ECM enters PE it shots BLM enable off. You learn something new everyday.

That’s good to know, so I don't have to worry about going into PE mode when recording data and using VEMaster to process it.
Yup, it is pretty darn slick if you ask me. & for Bozo's like me with Big cams, large tube headers, decent heads & Super Rams, the VE table really is ALL over the map with such low vacuum @ idle................ but that really is another story.

BW
Old 07-09-2002, 08:00 PM
Supreme Member

How High RPMs do you guys use this software to? Should i use it above 3000 RPMs?
Old 07-09-2002, 10:07 PM

I had planned on tuning it up to about 4000. I can only guess that any higher than that & it is going to be in PE mode anyway, so........ I dont see any point in it. I might be all wet though, any other thoughts?

BW
Old 07-09-2002, 11:58 PM
Supreme Member

I tuned up to 3600 RPM by manually shifting. I don't think it'd make much of a difference since I don't manually shift at anything but WOT anyway.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:46 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by IROCZ88
Has anyone used VEmaster with the Freescan software? If so, let me know how it goes.
Currently VEMaster only reads DataMaster data capture files.
Old 07-10-2002, 02:30 PM

kevinc,
That's not true, go to http://home.attbi.com/~jgeorger/vemaster/ and it says that it works on Datamaster and Freescan. I've heard a lot of good things about Freescan so this could be a great cheap method of using VEmaster. I'm still waiting for my laptop to get fixed so I can't try it out right now. If anyone tries this before me let me know how it goes.
Thanks, Josiah
Old 07-10-2002, 03:46 PM
Supreme Member

Whoops, I stand corrected....when I downloaded the test version of VEMaster the notes said it only worked with DataMaster. Guess he added Freescan afterward.

However...if you're talking about this Freescan:

http://www.andywhittaker.com/ecu/ecu_software.htm

It doesn't appear to support $8D ECMs at this time so you're still hosed. I've used it on my $6E setup back when I was MAF, using the '89 Corvette setting, and it was nice. Still liked Moates software better as I was using a low-end laptop and Moates could grab ~10 frames/sec without all that GUI stuff that Freescan is busy with.

Last edited by kevinc; 07-10-2002 at 03:52 PM.